Blocked FG rules

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
When the FG was blocked, CPJ motioned to leave the ball alone. Why would that be the case? What did we have to lose by trying to advance the ball? For reference, the rules for advancing a blocked kick are as follows:

Advancing a Blocked Kick
After the defensive team blocks a field goal attempt, players are free to advance the ball. On kicks that do not cross the line of scrimmage or are blocked behind the line, the offensive team is allowed to recover and advance the ball as well. However, NCAA rules state that an attempt that is blocked that crosses the line of scrimmage can only be advanced by the defense unless the defense first touches the ball and subsequently fumbles the ball.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
When the FG was blocked, CPJ motioned to leave the ball alone. Why would that be the case? What did we have to lose by trying to advance the ball? For reference, the rules for advancing a blocked kick are as follows:

Advancing a Blocked Kick
After the defensive team blocks a field goal attempt, players are free to advance the ball. On kicks that do not cross the line of scrimmage or are blocked behind the line, the offensive team is allowed to recover and advance the ball as well. However, NCAA rules state that an attempt that is blocked that crosses the line of scrimmage can only be advanced by the defense unless the defense first touches the ball and subsequently fumbles the ball.
The ball was blocked after it crossed the Los, so he didn't want to take the chance of our guys trying to pick it up and having an FSU player try and crab it right after. It was just to play it safe basically.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Because if we pick it up "possession" and lose it, they can pick it up and score. PJ made the correct "gut" move looking for OT. Austin made the right player move. That's why PJ offered him!

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
However, NCAA rules state that an attempt that is blocked that crosses the line of scrimmage can only be advanced by the defense unless the defense first touches the ball and subsequently fumbles the ball.
Picking up a loose football while trying to stay upright is pretty difficult, especially if someone from the other team is trying to get it from you too. Lance saw that he was alone and since time had expired the risk was small.

If there was more time on the clock and Lance touches ball with fingers, F$U player jumps on ball and assuming that the ball advanced enough for a 1st down or there was another down - F$U would have another - closer - chance.

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The ball was blocked after it crossed the Los, so he didn't want to take the chance of our guys trying to pick it up and having an FSU player try and crab it right after. It was just to play it safe basically.
I know it was probably a typo but you said a Fsu player try and crab it. Lol. Fsu player and crab go hand in hand.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The movement of a blocked kick is unpredictable.

If it isn't the end of the half and a player gets close to the ball, it could bounce and hit them. The other team could then recover the ball. At the end of the half, it wouldn't matter because they wouldn't be able to run another play.

If it is at the end of the half, there isn't any danger if the ball is touched, but if the ball is picked up and fumbled, the other team can advance it. The FSU players should have run to the ball as soon as it was blocked. I read that their kicker said the team was confused and thought the ball was dead. Had the FSU players gone to the ball like they should have, it would have been far more difficult to advance the ball. It also could be dangerous. They would have several players at the ball while GT would only have one. In interviews, Austin said that he looked over his shoulder and saw that he was alone. It was then that he decided to pick it up and run with it. Had there been several FSU players running toward him, he probably would have thought differently.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was an incredible heads up play. In general, you really DON'T want to touch that ball. You can see in the replay though that Lance turns to look behind him before making the attempt. There wasn't anyone withing 10 yards of him, and at that point it was a great job to pick it up and make the play.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The rules for blocked punt and blocked field goal are the same so this issue about touching/possessing the ball is something that comes up from time to time and the players have to be coached about probable outcomes. CPJ's initial reaction (get away from it) was correct and the later decision by Lance to pick it up was also correct.
Time on the clock can also affect these decisions. What is hard about these rules is that it is a fumble (either team can get it and advance it) if the blocked kick does not cross the LOS and if it does cross the LOS the defense gets to touch it first and it is treated as if it was not blocked/touched behind the LOS. In the heat of the action a lot of confusion can occur.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If not the last play of the half/game and a FG attempt is blocked and not advanced, the defense gets possession at the Line of Scrimmage (were ball was snapped) on the missed kick. If fielded AND not advanced beyond what had been the LOS, then in essence you lose field position. That is above and beyond the possibility of muffing picking up the ball and it being recovered by the kicking team.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Tech practices picking up blocked FG's at the end of the Half/Game and returning to their own sideline. What is supposed to happen is our other players are supposed to start walking/slowly moving towards our sideline so the opposing Team doesn't realize we're starting to set up our blocking wall until it's too late. It worked to perfection against FSU.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lance said in one or more of the interviews that he really didn't think or hear that much and that it is something that was regularly practiced as @GlennW said. He was just trying to make a play and doing what is practiced at the end of the half / game. I didn't see anyone slowly moving to set up a wall, most who weren't celebrating were running pretty fast to get to the sideline to set up the blocking.

What could have gone wrong is Lance fumbles and FSU advances for a TD. Other than that, I think even if we get a penalty after gaining possession, the period is over since only a defensive penalty extends the game.

I am so glad we didn't go to overtime. The longer a game goes on, the more advantage the physically superior team has. Just the way it is.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
What Coach RR talked about how the players are trained to not pick up the ball unless it is the last play of the game if the ball is blocked beyond the Line of Scrimmage. Jamal Golden was the one who convinced Lance Austin to pick it up because he was unsure.

Coach RR said that many of the interior guys were "drifting" to our sidelines like they are taught, and then they created a wall for when Lance was running. CRR said it works out like a punt return left basically.

I thought it was an incredible heads up play. In general, you really DON'T want to touch that ball. You can see in the replay though that Lance turns to look behind him before making the attempt. There wasn't anyone withing 10 yards of him, and at that point it was a great job to pick it up and make the play.
Earlier in the week before the game I heard a discussion on Auburn's return of the Alabama field goal in the Iron Bowl. They were praising Malzahn for putting the punt return team out there for that play, calculating that if the kick was short they could return it. Don't know how true that is , but the punt return team against the field goal unit would be quite an advantage.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
If not the last play of the half/game and a FG attempt is blocked and not advanced, the defense gets possession at the Line of Scrimmage (were ball was snapped) on the missed kick. If fielded AND not advanced beyond what had been the LOS, then in essence you lose field position. That is above and beyond the possibility of muffing picking up the ball and it being recovered by the kicking team.

Exactly, field position is the biggest thing with not touching a blocked field goal...but I think (had there been time) we would get the ball from where the ball was placed for the kick. I think the rules are we get the ball at the last place it touched the ground.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, field position is the biggest thing with not touching a blocked field goal...but I think (had there been time) we would get the ball from where the ball was placed for the kick. I think the rules are we get the ball at the last place it touched the ground.

NFL is spot of the kick. NCAA is line of scrimmage.