Biggest Addition This Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
#goalpostsmoved
I am pretty sure the objective of punting is to maximize the field differential between where you are before the punt and where the other team ends up after the punt. Getting the punt off is only part of the equation. Punt coverage is also part of the equation. To counter Shanahan's deficiency in getting the ball off in a timely manner we forsoke punt coverage. Giving up long punt returns, like the touchdown against Duke, is not much better than having it blocked. So, no, it is not moving the goal posts.

Also, what exactly are you arguing? We were the worst team in the ACC in net punting by a good margin. If you do not think Shanahan was the primary issue, I am not sure the point of continuing this argument.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty sure the objective of punting is to maximize the field differential between where you are before the punt and where the other team ends up after the punt. Getting the punt off is only part of the equation. Punt coverage is also part of the equation. To counter Shanahan's deficiency in getting the ball off in a timely manner we forsoke punt coverage. Giving up long punt returns, like the touchdown against Duke, is not much better than having it blocked. So, no, it is not moving the goal posts.

Also, what exactly are you arguing? We were the worst team in the ACC in net punting by a good margin. If you do not think Shanahan was the primary issue, I am not sure the point of continuing this argument.
The first comment of yours I replied to you were specifically complaining about punts being blocked. The reason punts were being blocked was because we only had two guys protecting the punter, very easy to get enough guys on defense coming at the punter to have someone unblocked. When we switched to having 3 blockers, like every other team in the country, no more punts were blocked that I can recall. You then switched complaints instead of acknowledging that no punts were blocked after that. That's the definition of moving the goalposts.

I don't recall which game it was, probably after Duke, but Key acknowledged that we probably went too far the opposite direction from our initial two man blocking scheme in going to 3 blockers and also put in bigger guys that were slower.

Tell me, does Shanahan decide who the other 10 players are on the field? Does he decide the punt formation? Does he tell them to whiff on tackling, run past the returner, take bad angles, or give half effort? Apparently so in your mind.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Shanahan was a flippin' sophomore. Jeez! You guys are

Bingo - were were 131 out of 131 in NET punting. The punter is the primary issue. His failings forced changes to be made that impact punt coverage. If you are the worst in Division 1 at something you better look at every aspect to get better especially getting a new punter.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Bingo - were were 131 out of 131 in NET punting.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think net average is a team stat which includes blocked punts. Three or four of those can make a huge difference in the stat.

I think some of the line drives and weak punts are the result of Shanahan concentrating on rushing to just get the ball out of there after the blocks. There were other times when the punt was quite decent, but coverage was atrocious. Shanahan was too slow getting the ball out of there at first, which combined with the poor up-front blocking led to the blocks. Then he started rushing it. Maybe those problems will get fixed this year. I hope so, because he has talent. I don't know if he's our best punter or not, but there's no way he's responsible for all the poor net punting average. I have faith the coaches will solve this problem and put the best punter on the field.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think net average is a team stat which includes blocked punts. Three or four of those can make a huge difference in the stat.

I think some of the line drives and weak punts are the result of Shanahan concentrating on rushing to just get the ball out of there after the blocks. There were other times when the punt was quite decent, but coverage was atrocious. Shanahan was too slow getting the ball out of there at first, which combined with the poor up-front blocking led to the blocks. Then he started rushing it. Maybe those problems will get fixed this year. I hope so, because he has talent. I don't know if he's our best punter or not, but there's no way he's responsible for all the poor net punting average. I have faith the coaches will solve this problem and put the best punter on the field.
If the punter takes longer he better have other attributes to offset that deficiency.
All should be confirmed in practice.
Not a fan of an inconsistent snapper and punter.
Lets get pretty good ALL THE TIME before we try for excellence.
We got rid of TFP who was irrational.

I am confident that Key saw the issue and will not allow punting or fg to be an adventure

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

The punter is the biggest issue for all punting team issues. If he is slow punting, he is, that causes protection problems, blocked punts and long returns.

We didn’t have punting problems prior to Shanahan even under Collins.

JacketFan137

Banned
The punter is the biggest issue for all punting team issues. If he is slow punting, he is, that causes protection problems, blocked punts and long returns.

yeah we obviously had issues with the unit as a whole. we could have blocked better and covered better but i find it pretty funny people are making excuses for shanahan like this when they have been super critical of plenty of other players on the roster.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

This is such a bad take. We had an NFL level punter who was literally best in the nation in 2020 and an All-American before Shanahan, and we didn't run a dumb 2 blocker punt formation. In 2021 who was our punter? Shanahan. And how many punts were blocked? Only 1.

I'm sure you'll keep showing your ignorance and ****ting on the kid though.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This is such a bad take. We had an NFL level punter who was literally best in the nation in 2020 and an All-American before Shanahan, and we didn't run a dumb 2 blocker punt formation. In 2021 who was our punter? Shanahan. And how many punts were blocked? Only 1.

I'm sure you'll keep showing your ignorance and ****ting on the kid though.
Exactly this.

Could Shanahan have been faster? Probably. But I agree that too many of our issues were the direct or indirect result of our blocking (both scheme and performance) being off. As soon as the formation problems were fixed, then you have to deal with the ripple effects of a punter who's now off their rhythm because they're used to 4 big guys bearing down on them. Blocking isn't the ONLY issue, but I think its impact on our punting game can't be understated.

Case in point - the constant references to the "net punting" stat. Anyone who's taken a college course knows that when you get a 0 on a single exam or quiz, it's a lot harder to get anywhere close to an A for the course. Much less when you fully zero out 6% of the course's assignments.

To that end, I'd love to see where we ranked in punting in the final 8 games of the season. My guess the punt metrics once we fixed the crappy punt formations yield a much higher ranking than those in the first 4 games. Still not PH3 senior year levels, but I would imagine decent.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The first comment of yours I replied to you were specifically complaining about punts being blocked. The reason punts were being blocked was because we only had two guys protecting the punter, very easy to get enough guys on defense coming at the punter to have someone unblocked. When we switched to having 3 blockers, like every other team in the country, no more punts were blocked that I can recall. You then switched complaints instead of acknowledging that no punts were blocked after that. That's the definition of moving the goalposts.

I don't recall which game it was, probably after Duke, but Key acknowledged that we probably went too far the opposite direction from our initial two man blocking scheme in going to 3 blockers and also put in bigger guys that were slower.

Tell me, does Shanahan decide who the other 10 players are on the field? Does he decide the punt formation? Does he tell them to whiff on tackling, run past the returner, take bad angles, or give half effort? Apparently so in your mind.
Bye, Felicia!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You are an excuse machine. Same coaching staff and the punter sucked for 2 not one year. He got slack as a freshman, however, as a 2nd year starter he was as bad as any punter in the country.

You can attempt to shift blame but it’s simply BS. He was the root of the punting problem. He will either improve drastically this off season, possible, or he won’t be GT’s punter in 2023.
Surprise surprise, you are wrong again. The staff was not the same at all - Chris Wiesehan was the offensive special teams coach in 2021, and he went to Temple for 2022.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Surprise surprise, you are wrong again. The staff was not the same at all - Chris Wiesehan was the offensive special teams coach in 2021, and he went to Temple for 2022.
In case you weren’t aware Shannahan sucked in 2021 as did the punt team. But keep making excuses and expecting different results. Nothing on the punt team worked last year thus they were the worst in FBS. You seem satisfied with being the worst FBS team in punting. Why are you ok with that?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
In case you weren’t aware Shannahan sucked in 2021 as did the punt team. But keep making excuses and expecting different results. Nothing on the punt team worked last year thus they were the worst in FBS. You seem satisfied with being the worst FBS team in punting. Why are you ok with that?
Nowhere have I said I'm satisfied with being the worst punt team in FBS, you have pulled that out of your rear end.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Tough to face the facts, I know.
LOL!

You provided one fact, blocked punts after the blocking scheme change. That is it, and, by the way, it does not disprove my point that he takes took long, takes too many steps and his strides are too long. I provided other facts to counter your one fact. You have an opinion that is based on your one fact. That is it. Show me facts about how many steps he takes, how many yards he moves towards the line and how many seconds between the snap and punt. How about comparing that to our previous punter? Heck, compare it to anyone.

Since you have no friggin clue to which you speak and it is useless to try to convince someone who is, well, you know,, I will say again...

Bye, Felicia!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.