Better Not Be {insert name} List

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems there's a pretty consistent list of guys we all want. I wanted to explore guys who'd make you question continuing your fanhood if we hired him.

I'll go ahead and toss Pastner out just so @dtm1997 has to pick someone else.

Nah, my real choice is an interesting one ... Capel. Looks like a star on paper. Former player, great background, coaching pedigree. That said, the cons are pretty major for me. Duke assistants fail-rate is astronomical. The odds that he'd go back to Duke if they beckoned are pretty good. In reality, the only success he had at OK was fueled by hometown boy Blake Griffin who I don't even consider a recruiting success. He was never going to leave that state to play in college.

Anyways, those are my late-Sunday $0.02. Who's your 'not' guy?

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
Age is the only concern but given the recent successes of older coaches like Jim Larrananaga and Larry Brown, Bo Ryan might be a good choice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just curious, why not?

Dang, bruh. My reasoning wasn't enough for you? Makes me sad, sidewalk :(. Seriously though, the bottom line for me on Capel is he wants to be Duke's coach. If they called him back, he's leave skid marks all over Cremins Court on his way out.

ETA: The 'coaching tree' stuff isn't the end-all, be-all. However, if you've been around as long as K has and your guys have been as middling/bad as his have been, it's not 'nothing' (if that makes sense).

Age is the only concern but given the recent successes of older coaches like Jim Larrananaga and Larry Brown, Bo Ryan might be a good choice.

I'd say Ryan's not comparable to Larranaga or Brown. Even if he does come back, it certainly won't be after the season during which he abruptly retired.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd say Ryan's not comparable to Larranaga or Brown. Even if he does come back, it certainly won't be after the season during which he abruptly retired.

Maybe a change of scenery is needed...if, um, speculation is true...

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Dang, bruh. My reasoning wasn't enough for you? Makes me sad, sidewalk :(. Seriously though, the bottom line for me on Capel is he wants to be Duke's coach. If they called him back, he's leave skid marks all over Cremins Court on his way out.

ETA: The 'coaching tree' stuff isn't the end-all, be-all. However, if you've been around as long as K has and your guys have been as middling/bad as his have been, it's not 'nothing' (if that makes sense).
I was just curious about Peac's opinion since I've seen him mention being anti-Capel before. I don't really have an opinion of Capel one way or another. Didn't he also have some other guys highly rated other than Griffin?

I'm also not worried about Duke hiring him back when K retires. If Duke hires him back that obviously means he's had some REAL success here at Tech and I'm ok with that possible part of the equation.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, why not?

In all honesty I don't really know.

I guess the recruits (Tiny Gallon and TM3) he brought in at Oklahoma strangely resemble the Solo situation. Those kids were very talented but very troublesome. I remember watching them play on the Burger Boy game and thinking, "damn"

Then they get on campus and it was steady nonsense. Or so it seemed to me. I was a lot younger then and not quite as plugged in as I am now.

Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember.

Also, we are apparently high on Keats with his background but we were afraid of Howlands background? Talk about nonsense....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was just curious about Peac's opinion since I've seen him mention being anti-Capel before. I don't really have an opinion of Capel one way or another. Didn't he also have some other guys highly rated other than Griffin?

I'm also not worried about Duke hiring him back when K retires. If Duke hires him back that obviously means he's had some REAL success here at Tech and I'm ok with that possible part of the equation.

I hear you. But, no, I don't want to be a coach-incubator for Duke. Capel can go to Vandy or some place and get them on probation.

Also, we are apparently high on Keats with his background but we were afraid of Howlands background? Talk about nonsense....

I'd question whether or not we're "high" on Keatts. Like you said, his background is indeed questionable. So questionable in fact, that it's the subject of a salacious scandal and IIRC a tell-all book. It could presumably contribute to some major NCAA violations and Pitino leaving Lville.