Best Story About GT Football

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
ec.jpg

THIS is the story that ESPN should be pushing about GT football. That a team with hardly ANY highly rated recruits can compete on the national stage and even be in the conversation with the likes of FSU, UGa, Clemson etc. It is a huge feel good story, and they don't talk about this enough, imho.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
well considering they have monetary reasons to avoid making star ratings look like a crapshoot, I can understand them not pushing this angle. Then again the teams with the most recent success are all very near the top of that list so it might not have that effect. It would be nice to see.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Guys, this is a great story, but what we really need is to at least get up that chart around where BC or Pitt is....If we do, and especially if some of the guys are DL's or LB's, then this train is going to a whole new station!!

Katy, bar the door!!!
That's what I was thinking. If we could land (4-6) 4 or 5 star recruits a year along with (15) 3 stars and not much less, then everyone would be in trouble.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I will take our 2 and 3 stars with heart and discipline over any 4 and 5 star with thuggish narcissism anyday.
Our players are 4 and 5 stars in our scheme.
This is why CPJ and staff recruit these kids.
Not to say I'd NOT want to be higher on the list, however I will field our team with any of these and feel very confident of winning.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I will take our 2 and 3 stars with heart and discipline over any 4 and 5 star with thuggish narcissism anyday.
Our players are 4 and 5 stars in our scheme.
This is why CPJ and staff recruit these kids.
Not to say I'd NOT want to be higher on the list, however I will field our team with any of these and feel very confident of winning.
I agree, but I won't ever turn down depth and talent. This year has been special, but with a little more depth especially on defense, we are probably looking at beating fsu to get into the playoff not just to get to number 6-8.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but I won't ever turn down depth and talent. This year has been special, but with a little more depth especially on defense, we are probably looking at beating fsu to get into the playoff not just to get to number 6-8.

We have soo many new fans since the pairings were introduced. (And after we beat the dwags)
It seems Tallahassee is in the midst of burning if we pull this off :)

Think of our D depth next year!!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's what I was thinking. If we could land (4-6) 4 or 5 star recruits a year along with (15) 3 stars and not much less, then everyone would be in trouble.
I am of two minds about this. On the one hand I myself have said that we are 2 or 3 athletes away from being a dominating force in football and wishing we could get just a few more 4 or even 5 star players. I still believe that.

On the other hand, sometimes it becomes clear to me that we may already be getting several of those highly ranked players. They just don't have the stars next to their names because our recruiting intelligence went deeper than many of the factories. Those commercial organizations that tack on stars seem way over influenced by which football factory wants which kid. That leaves a few thousand other players virtually unnoticed who may end up being just as good in college. In our most recent game witness how shocked the announcers were that a freshman named Freeman was consistently out dueling a larger, more experienced, multiple star offensive lineman.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Guys, this is a great story, but what we really need is to at least get up that chart around where BC or Pitt is....If we do, and especially if some of the guys are DL's or LB's, then this train is going to a whole new station!!

Katy, bar the door!!!

it's going to happen.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how well they're playing, as a team, once PJ "weeded out" the guys who didn't seem to buy into the system, or who didn't have the "right attitude". You can especially see it on the defensive side once things started settling in after the "numbness" of all of the losses wore off and the depth issue and rotations, etc. was finally figured out. I think once Ted Roof finally figured out how to work with the players he actually HAD on his defense rather than work AROUND them, things totally turned around.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
This is very true... We are on the threshold of taking this next critical step.
Continuity with our coaching staff is so important right now... need to get PJ's contract finalized and then he can go on about the business of securing his team of assistants (as he deems appropriate)
Your comment about depth is so true... If we are going to sustain/further improve our current level of performance we have to continue improving depth.
Great post.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
As early as coach johnson excepts some of the kids commitment then he believes that they are exactly what he wants. So I would think that is as good as stars by a players name.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I am of two minds about this. On the one hand I myself have said that we are 2 or 3 athletes away from being a dominating force in football and wishing we could get just a few more 4 or even 5 star players. I still believe that.

On the other hand, sometimes it becomes clear to me that we may already be getting several of those highly ranked players. They just don't have the stars next to their names because our recruiting intelligence went deeper than many of the factories. Those commercial organizations that tack on stars seem way over influenced by which football factory wants which kid. That leaves a few thousand other players virtually unnoticed who may end up being just as good in college. In our most recent game witness how shocked the announcers were that a freshman named Freeman was consistently out dueling a larger, more experienced, multiple star offensive lineman.
I think we are seeing what results when you look into the character and motivation of a recruit along with his athletic skills. Reading about Jaylend Ratliffe and his faith, determination, courage, respect, focus and desire tells me if our staff is finding this type of player with good football skills, abilities, and brains, we will continue to get better not just as a football team but as an Institution of Excellent higher learning.
It's Great to be a Jacket!!!
Swarm and sting the 'Noles!!!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I do agree that it may be harder to find student-athletes in the 4 and 5 star category that have the combination of smarts and integrity that the Institution would demand. But, that is NO reason for not finding 2-3 of these guys nationally every year or so. With that said, I agree with many here that if a kid is a high 3 star with these same traits, he is most likely going to outshine many of the guys in those higher star categories!!

But, no matter what anyone says, we need some 270-305 DL guys with motors just like everyone else. And, we need more than 1 or 2 of those guys..... I do realize that these guys don't grow on trees.. Heck, we had to go to Australia to find one them. :)

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I do agree that it may be harder to find student-athletes in the 4 and 5 star category that have the combination of smarts and integrity that the Institution would demand. But, that is NO reason for not finding 2-3 of these guys nationally every year or so. With that said, I agree with many here that if a kid is a high 3 star with these same traits, he is most likely going to outshine many of the guys in those higher star categories!!

But, no matter what anyone says, we need some 270-305 DL guys with motors just like everyone else. And, we need more than 1 or 2 of those guys..... I do realize that these guys don't grow on trees.. Heck, we had to go to Australia to find one them. :)
I am surprised we have not found another Aussie down under given Gotsis success.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Our coaches have a way of developing 2 & 3 Star players into 3,4,& 5 STARS. Seems like Ugag turns 4&5 Stars into 3&4 stars. They are still pretty good but they should be better.We could turn them into 6 Stars :)