Best sporting events ever watched...

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
#1. 1980 Olympic Hockey Victory... Watched the games against Sweden, Czechoslovakia, West Germany and the Soviet Union. Don't remember watching the gold medal game because time seemed to freeze in place after we beat the Soviets. The game was simply insane, gut-wrenching... no other words to describe it. Was a big Atlanta Flames fan back in the day, but watched a lot of international hockey on ABC. The Soviets were always playing on TV, so you knew how good they were. That victory felt special at the time and it's only gotten more so over the years.
#2. Tech Victory over UVA, 1990... Gut-wrenching game we all knew would define Tech's season. Worked at Pero's Pizza as a driver and listened to the game on the radio, catching glimpses of the game on the big-screen TV back at the restaurant between deliveries. It looked like we were going to lose at halftime, so when things started getting close it was almost too unbearable to follow. Simply the best, most emotional Tech victory I've ever experienced.
#3. 1992 Braves-Pirates NLCS Game 7... Watched 8 innings of this game at a small sports bar on Howell Mill Rd, became so nervous and disgusted I couldn't bear to watch the final inning. Began walking the three miles back to my home and noticed a lone, streaming skyrocket heading into the sky and bursting in the vicinity of Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. My thoughts were, "The nerve of them (Pirates), bringing their own fireworks to Atlanta!" Well, a few minutes later, pockets of cheering could be heard coming out of open windows, and then it kept on going. Finally, the streets erupted in cheering, cars began honking their horns and flashing their high beams... When I finally got home, I found out the Braves had pulled it off, and that I'd missed the best series of plays in Atlanta sports history.
#4. Falcons 1998 victory over the Vikings in the NFC Championship... Another game that appeared lost. Every time the Falcons seemed to get momentum, the Vikings looked like they would finally put it out of reach for good. Late in the 4th quarter, Coach Dan Reeves made a coaching blunder that looked like it might seal the game for the Vikings, but then Gary Anderson misses the FG. The momentum changed after that, but it still didn't look like Atlanta would win. A lot of clutch plays had to be made on offense and defense before Morten Andersen made the kick in OT. Easily the most gut-wrenching game I'd watched since the 1992 NLCS.
#5. 1999 Tech game against UGA... Somewhat mixed feelings about this game afterward, since I felt Jasper Sanks didn't really fumble the football. But I remember UGA driving for the late score at the goal line to seal the game... Was at my parents' house for Thanksgiving break. Dad leaves the room, thinking the game was over. I stay and watch the rest of the game, keeping my cheers and emotions in check, then come to dinner telling him Tech had won. The look on his face was priceless (he went to Tech but always pooh-pooed their chances). This was the first victory against UGA in Atlanta since '89, and there haven't been any home victories since, that's 18 years. The exciting finish with the blocked 3rd-down FG and later conversion made this an unforgettable game.
#6. Miracle on Techwood Drive vs. FSU, 2015
#7. Victory against UGA in Athens, 2016
#8. Miracle on North Avenue against FSU
#9. 1985 Fog Bowl against UGA at Grant Field
#10. 2008 victory against UGA in Athens

(Didn't see the 2014 game against UGA in Athens... Was fishing with my dad during that game. After the 2013 loss at home, didn't want to experience suffering through another excruciating close loss like that so soon. Also didn't get to see the 1984 game against UGA in Athens, since we didn't have cable at the time. Both these games would have easily been top-5 on my list had I seen them at their broadcast times).

Last edited:

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Any of the events I saw live at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. Watching water polo was fantastic with the fans of the two european teams singing and cheering for their teams. Track and Field was also great...saw Michael Johnson and his gold shoes run to victory and got to sing the national anthem to salute him...Wow!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
#1. 1980 Olympic Hockey Victory... Watched the games against Sweden, Czechoslovakia, West Germany and the Soviet Union. Don't remember watching the gold medal game because time seemed to freeze in place after we beat the Soviets. The game was simply insane, gut-wrenching... no other words to describe it. Was a big Atlanta Flames fan back in the day, but watched a lot of international hockey on ABC. The Soviets were always playing on TV, so you knew how good they were. That victory felt special at the time and it's only gotten more so over the years.
#2. Tech Victory over UVA, 1990... Gut-wrenching game we all knew would define Tech's season. Worked at Pero's Pizza as a driver and listened to the game on the radio, catching glimpses of the game on the big-screen TV back at the restaurant between deliveries. It looked like we were going to lose at halftime, so when things started getting close it was almost too unbearable to follow. Simply the best, most emotional Tech victory I've ever experienced.
#3. 1992 Braves-Pirates NLCS Game 7... Watched 8 innings of this game at a small sports bar on Howell Mill Rd, became so nervous and disgusted I couldn't bear to watch the final inning. Began walking the three miles back to my home and noticed a lone, streaming skyrocket heading into the sky and bursting in the vicinity of Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. My thoughts were, "The nerve of them (Pirates), bringing their own fireworks to Atlanta!" Well, a few minutes later, pockets of cheering could be heard coming out of open windows, and then it kept on going. Finally, the streets erupted in cheering, cars began honking their horns and flashing their high beams... When I finally got home, I found out the Braves had pulled it off, and that I'd missed the best series of plays in Atlanta sports history.
#4. Falcons 1998 victory over the Vikings in the NFC Championship... Another game that appeared lost. Every time the Falcons seemed to get momentum, the Vikings looked like they would finally put it out of reach for good. Late in the 4th quarter, Coach Dan Reeves made a coaching blunder that looked like it might seal the game for the Vikings, but then Gary Anderson misses the FG. The momentum changed after that, but it still didn't look like Atlanta would win. A lot of clutch plays had to be made on offense and defense before Morten Andersen made the kick in OT. Easily the most gut-wrenching game I'd watched since the 1992 NLCS.
#5. 1999 Tech game against UGA... Somewhat mixed feelings about this game afterward, since I felt Jasper Sanks didn't really fumble the football. But I remember UGA driving for the late score at the goal line to seal the game... Was at my parents' house for Thanksgiving break. Dad leaves the room, thinking the game was over. I stay and watch the rest of the game, keeping my cheers and emotions in check, then come to dinner telling him Tech had won. The look on his face was priceless (he went to Tech but always pooh-pooed their chances). This was the first victory against UGA in Atlanta since '89, and there haven't been any home victories since, that's 18 years. The exciting finish with the blocked 3rd-down FG and later conversion made this an unforgettable game.
#6. Miracle on Techwood Drive vs. FSU, 2015
#7. Victory against UGA in Athens, 2016
#8. Miracle on North Avenue against FSU
#9. 1985 Fog Bowl against UGA at Grant Field
#10. 2008 victory against UGA in Athens

(Didn't see the 2014 game against UGA in Athens... Was fishing with my dad during that game. After the 2013 loss at home, didn't want to experience suffering through another excruciating close loss like that so soon. Also didn't get to see the 1984 game against UGA in Athens, since we didn't have cable at the time. Both these games would have easily been top-5 on my list had I seen them at their broadcast times).
Great thread!

I will 'second' your 1-3 you list for sure.
1. 1980 USA over Russia Hockey deserves sacred status.. not even close.
2. 1990 Tech @ UVA: Watched the game on campus in 1990 (my final quarter before getting out)... nice to 'get behind' with my degree requirements. :) That 1990 football season was so special...so fortunate to be a student that season!
3. 1992 Braves-Pirates: First and only time I've jumped up from the couch and "nailed" my knuckles on the ceiling... hurts like a mother dealy.

I'll add in no particular order (all these I saw live.. makes them bubble to top of list):
A) 1990 Tech over UGA in Athens....got behind early; but rolled over the dawgs to cap an undefeated regular season. I just recall leaving that game...and the joyous feeling of realizing we were set up to actually "maybe" be the national champions if things fell our way.
B) Jan 1, 1991 Citrus Bowl: Tech hammers Nebraska with a "statement" game making it impossible to ignore our resume to be considered as National Champs!!
C) UNC @ Tech (3/1/1989): This basketball game was incredible... being there was bedlam. Just awesome!

northgajacket

Banned
Not in particular order:

1. Georgia Tech-Georgia 1999 COFH... The first COFH game I watched and it still is my favorite COFH game. I would like to think the Jasper Sanks "fumble" was just "things evening out" for the Marcus Stroud non ejection earlier in the game, plus punishment for Jim Donnan being greedy. Great ending to the game too.
2. 2014 COFH... I loved the next Monday when all the uga fans whined about Tech players ripping out their weeds. Great game and of course what has got to be one of the most iconic field goals in Tech history.
3. Tech vs Florida State 2015... Absolutely crazy finish.
4. 2004 Elite Eight Georgia Tech vs Kansas... Being able to witness a Tech basketball team reach the Final Four ( too young to remember 1990).
5. 2004 Final Four vs Oklahoma State... Tech reaches its first title game thanks to a Will Bynum layup in the dying seconds ( I like to think the national championship game that year didn't happen).
6. 2002 World Cup Group play: USA vs Portugal... After a horrific World Cup in 1998 where the US finished dead last in the event ( I still don't know which is worse finishing last or losing to Iran) the US was not expected to make an impact at this edition, especially against Portugal who were outside favorites to win and lead by a World Player of the Year. The US would upset the Portuguese 3-2 thanks to goals by John O'Brien, a Portuguese own goal and a Brian McBride header.
7. 2002 World Cup Round of 16: USA vs Mexico... The US reached the Round of 16 for the second time in modern history and would face arch rival Mexico. Goals by Brian McBride and Landon Donovan lead US to 2-0 victory.
8. 2002 World Cup Quarterfinal: USA vs Germany... The US would lose this game 1-0 but outplayed Germany the whole match and left it all on the pitch.
9. 2010 WJC Gold Medal Game USA beats Canada 6-5 in ot
10. 2013 WJC Semi-Final: USA beats Canada 5-1
11. 2017 WJC Gold Medal Game: USA beats Canada in a shootout 5-4.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
One of my favorite college football games was the 1982 Sugar Bowl between #2 UGA and Pitt. Pitt was still a pretty good program, having won the NC themselves in '76 or '77. After a back-and-forth game that had UGA up late in the 4th quarter, Pitt was putting together a desperation drive at the end to try and win it, or at least tie it up with a field goal. On 4th down with about half a minute left in the game, it was still a long way from the end zone. On that last play, Dan Marino throws a perfect bomb into double or triple coverage, hitting the receiver in stride at the goal line for the winning TD. Earlier in that same possession, Marino had to convert a 4th down on a scramble play just to keep the drive alive.

Probably the best college football game I ever watched not involving the Yellow Jackets was the epic 1984 game between Miami and Boston College... Don't know why we were up at my grandparents' at that time of year, since we usually visited them during Christmas, but was watching the game on their old black and white TV in the living room. There was so little room in that place, the TV was wedged right at the end of the couch so that you had to sit in a perpendicular direction to watch it. Only Granddad's rocking chair faced the TV directly. The closest city was Norfolk, VA, about 40 miles away, and all they could get from there were two grainy TV stations via the rabbit ears. It started out pretty much like any other ordinary game. The only real interesting thing about it at kickoff was that it pitted the reigning National Champion Hurricanes against the eventual Heisman Trophy winner, Doug Flutie. Didn't care about either team, really, but it turned out being a really exciting, back-and-forth game, with Boston College taking the lead with around two minutes left. Somehow, Bernie Kosar led the Hurricanes 80 yards for the score with maybe a minute left. It was a drive for the ages, and it looked like they were going to win... then Doug Flutie heaves the ball towards the end zone. The moment BC's receiver caught the ball for the TD, you just knew this game was going to be remembered for a long, long time to come.