Best Offense in FBS?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I just read this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/99553/why-fsu-may-struggle-vs-ga-tech-offense

It lists the following offensive categories Tech is Top Five in the nation in (but the article doesn't always give the actual figures):

First at:
Third down conversion = 57%
Time of Possession per Drive = 3:12
TDs on Runs Outside the Tackles = 23
Percentage of Drives that achieve a TD or a minimum of a First Down = 87%
***Fourth Quarter Point Differential = ??? (First among power 5 teams)

Third at:
Time of Possession per game = ???
Scoring Efficiency = ???

Fourth at:
Percentage of Running Plays = 78%
Points off Turnovers = ???

The article also states: "The Yellow Jackets rank in the top seven in the FBS in yards per rush, first downs per rush and percent of rushes that gain at least five yards." Anyone know which of these we are top 5 to add to the list?

Stats guys, can you copy and paste these categories I started to list with ones you have to add in and let's try and see how strong the case is for GT having the overall best offense this year in all of FBS college football at the end of the regular season?

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
The fourth quarter stats and TOP would be easy to figure out. I'm on my desktop so if nobody else posts them I'll chip in with good old Windows calculator.

I think there's a separate key category in judging a "best offense" = liabilities. Things that lose games. There's no debate that CPJ gives Tech an advantage in rushing, but it comes with potential liabilities: 1) Turnovers (due to increased handling of the ball), 2) Poor passing game, 3) Pass-challenged scout teams who can't prepare a defense. Georgia Tech seems to have developed a program with excellent ball-security and versatile scout teams. They're still working on 2), but we can see what happens when you throw it better.