Best Kick/Punt Returner You Remember...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Kevin Tisdale, a walk-on IIRC, was pretty electrifying with the 1990 team...

For punts, Charlie Rodgers was the best I remember, with Kelly Rhino a close second - he wasn't fast, but was cat-quick, and could always make the first guy miss...

Honorable Mention: Big Play Gary Lee - for the TD return in the fog bowl... That's about as far back as I go...

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Who was the punt returner back in the day that almost housed a late 4th quarter punt in the Aloha Bowl that pulled victory from defeat?

When ask why he fielded it, (good punt, good coverage, typically would have been a fair catch) his response was something along the lines of was not going to fair catch my last return of my career.

Remember watching it with my dad on Christmas day. What a game!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Who was the punt returner back in the day that almost housed a late 4th quarter punt in the Aloha Bowl that pulled victory from defeat?

When ask why he fielded it, (good punt, good coverage, typically would have been a fair catch) his response was something along the lines of was not going to fair catch my last return of my career.

It was Willie Clay in Bobby Ross's last game as head coach.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, Randy. You beat me to it.

His dad was Chapel; his son was Kelly. Randy was the best, though, IMHO.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ding, ding, ding, ding.... and now we have the answers that I would have given.

Best punt returner was Randy Rhino. Best kick returner was Drew Hill.

I vaguely remember Jim Brown being a good punt returner, I think it was one of Dodd's last teams. I was a young kid but he took two to the house. Anybody have a sharper memory? Realizes he phrased this wrong as half the human race raises its hand.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Now that is a great line.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep, Randy. You beat me to it.

His dad was Chapel; his son was Kelly. Randy was the best, though, IMHO.
Did not Chapel throw that halfback TD pass (against Auburn, I think), the first and only one ever for Dodd, and ever afterward was known as "One Pass Rhino"?

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Kevin Tisdale, a walk-on IIRC, was pretty electrifying with the 1990 team...

For punts, Charlie Rodgers was the best I remember, with Kelly Rhino a close second - he wasn't fast, but was cat-quick, and could always make the first guy miss...

Honorable Mention: Big Play Gary Lee - for the TD return in the fog bowl... That's about as far back as I go...
Another vote for Charlie Rogers returning punts.