Best and Worst Case Record

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This team over came a lucky bounce for a TD at VT and no Whistle 14 point spread against Georgia. So the opponents had even more incredible luck IMHO. We did get 2 or 3 easy interceptions but most int. and other turnovers were manufactured by tough play and being prepared.

But I do understand your comment about the Heavens parting. I was 100 % certain we were going to recover the onside kick at ACCCG based on how our season was going. The kick was poorly executed. But the kick in the game before was more important.
Of all the calls all year, or failure to make calls, that "fumble" at Georgia sticks in my craw worst of all. I rewatch the game occasionally and refuse to watch that portion. It not only was a terrible no-call, but the 14-point flip forced an eventual OT and a final score that made that game look a lot closer than it should have been. Georgia was a cowed and dominated team for almost two and a half quarters and its defensive line was shredded the second half. Still galls me they can say they lost 30-24 but in OT. As for the on-sides kick against FSU, seems to me the best chance to force a fumble is to drive the ball hard into a defender, as MSU almost pulled off in the OB. Those things are tough to handle.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I say 10-2 best case and 8-4 worst case. ND game is big for national exposure. I think with them playing Texas and UVA it gives them less time to focus on us during camp. They will be more battle tested but could very well be banged up. The good thing about us playing Alcorn and Tulane is we can work in the new faces and keep everyone fresh and hopefully injury free. Also we can keep the O vanilla and not give the Irish much to work with. I think we pull out a tough W up there. I do think exam week gets us at Clemson and we drop one at Miami looking ahead to Uga but hey, I'm not Phil Steele so what do I know..

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who's been involved in a moderately successful sports season, and hype machine, should this team get on one, do not expect any exam week to stand in its way of success, just expect grades to suffer.

Animal02

Banned
Of all the calls all year, or failure to make calls, that "fumble" at Georgia sticks in my craw worst of all. I rewatch the game occasionally and refuse to watch that portion. It not only was a terrible no-call, but the 14-point flip forced an eventual OT and a final score that made that game look a lot closer than it should have been. Georgia was a cowed and dominated team for almost two and a half quarters and its defensive line was shredded the second half. Still galls me they can say they lost 30-24 but in OT. As for the on-sides kick against FSU, seems to me the best chance to force a fumble is to drive the ball hard into a defender, as MSU almost pulled off in the OB. Those things are tough to handle.
The one that gets me was the butt schooch by the Duke QB.......if that play is called correctly, we possibly win that game, then who knows what happens the next week against UNC. At least in the UGA game, we overcame the bad calls and still won.

I agree. Talent is one thing. UGA and ND have that in spades--but turning talent into success is another. Both teams perennially underachieve, so a win over either is never out of the question. I look our schedule and I can't find one game that is a sure loss.
I agree, there is not a game in which we have no shot. But, as the article points out, there are a handful that are not "sure wins", too. The 2-2 scenario against Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame and FSU cliché for preseason picking. I say more likely we come out of that foursome 3-1, but drop one or two head scratchers along the way. We have a target on our back now, something that comes with success. Everyone in our division will bring their A-game. It's mighty nice to be in this conversation in August, though, isn't it? THWG.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This team over came a lucky bounce for a TD at VT and no Whistle 14 point spread against Georgia. So the opponents had even more incredible luck IMHO.
And we could add to that list because it happened all season long. Even in the Orange Bowl there was a very clear fumble by Missy State and recovery by Tech that the refs just treated like it never happened. And even CPJ said the Georgia game should not have been as close as it was. Yeah, I agree with you. If we start calling everything "luck" then the teams we played were just as lucky as we were.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with most that has been posted: anything is possible. Even 15-0. JHD stated that is a goal in a tweet, be it personal or team. However, we all know how most of these Jackets can play when relaxed and loose, and I hope they are not put under unnecessary pressure from high expectations.

@ND game will either be the "coming out" or the "not ready for prime time" party. Since CPJ has a battle-axe with Van Gorder's name etched on it, I expect the former.

@Dook game: Sweet revenge. It could get messy.

UNC: Please. No. More. Shootouts.

@Klimpsun: Always a good one, but as Trump says, this one will be yooge. This could be a mid-season battle of undefeated teams and a prime time game.

PITT: You still mad, bro? I hope not.

F$U: Homecoming. Could be another yooge prime time game.

@UVA: Not sure 'Hooville is the GT House of Horrors anymore, though GT lost there the last time ranked in 2011. The 2009 outright whipping and the 2013 turnover-filled debacle of a victory there tells me that the debt for GT's 1990 upset over #1 UVA has been paid in full. BTW, Happy 25th Anniversary 'Hoo's.

VPI: No hype necessary. They always get up for GT. Time GT started winning more of the close ones.

@Mia: Adm. Akbar is already running around calling this a trap game. I hope he's wrong.

ugag: Win at BDS for the 1st time in 16 years guys.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with most that has been posted: anything is possible. Even 15-0. JHD stated that is a goal in a tweet, be it personal or team. However, we all know how most of these Jackets can play when relaxed and loose, and I hope they are not put under unnecessary pressure from high expectations.

@ND game will either be the "coming out" or the "not ready for prime time" party. Since CPJ has a battle-axe with Van Gorder's name etched on it, I expect the former.

@Dook game: Sweet revenge. It could get messy.

UNC: Please. No. More. Shootouts.

@Klimpsun: Always a good one, but as Trump says, this one will be yooge. This could be a mid-season battle of undefeated teams and a prime time game.

PITT: You still mad, bro? I hope not.

F$U: Homecoming. Could be another yooge prime time game.

@UVA: Not sure 'Hooville is the GT House of Horrors anymore, though GT lost there the last time ranked in 2011. The 2009 outright whipping and the 2013 turnover-filled debacle of a victory there tells me that the debt for GT's 1990 upset over #1 UVA has been paid in full. BTW, Happy 25th Anniversary 'Hoo's.

VPI: No hype necessary. They always get up for GT. Time GT started winning more of the close ones.

@Mia: Adm. Akbar is already running around calling this a trap game. I hope he's wrong.

ugag: Win at BDS for the 1st time in 16 years guys.

The only think I would disagree with about this is the ND game. A lot of us thought the same thing the last time we played in South Bend (2007), and it turned out that it was just a 3-9 ND team and a 7-5 GT team. I think the UNC or Pickens County Technical game would show us more as those teams are known commodities who we play on a regular basis.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I say 10-2 best case and 8-4 worst case. ND game is big for national exposure. I think with them playing Texas and UVA it gives them less time to focus on us during camp. They will be more battle tested but could very well be banged up. The good thing about us playing Alcorn and Tulane is we can work in the new faces and keep everyone fresh and hopefully injury free. Also we can keep the O vanilla and not give the Irish much to work with. I think we pull out a tough W up there. I do think exam week gets us at Clemson and we drop one at Miami looking ahead to Uga but hey, I'm not Phil Steele so what do I know..
Alcorn and Tulane shud be two pretty good opponents to get new skill guys battle tested. They will not be push overs. Sept 19 will tell us a lot about this season. Going into S. Bend, playing on their turf, is going to be a challenge. If our D is improved like it should be, we should come home a winner and start to roll.

Exam week always seems to be the time we lose one we shouldn't. It is at Clemson, always a tough place to play. Improvement in our D to pressure Watson and pound him will be a key. Miami at their place is always a challenge, Their QB should be better but their running game should be weaker.

Last year we could have been 14 and 0 or 6 and 6 depending on which way a dozen plays went. This year will be the same. I love our team, they are men of character, integrity, hard working, a TEAM, focused, intelligent. They will get to a major bowl and just might get to the playoffs. 15-0 in 2015.
GO JACKETS!!! THWG!!!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
And we could add to that list because it happened all season long. Even in the Orange Bowl there was a very clear fumble by Missy State and recovery by Tech that the refs just treated like it never happened. And even CPJ said the Georgia game should not have been as close as it was. Yeah, I agree with you. If we start calling everything "luck" then the teams we played were just as lucky as we were.
Yep!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The one thing we all seem to forget about is injuries. If JT goes down to some freak season ending knee injury early in the year, it changes EVERYTHING. Byerly is no slouch....but he is also no JT, especially in the speed department.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The one thing we all seem to forget about is injuries. If JT goes down to some freak season ending knee injury early in the year, it changes EVERYTHING. Byerly is no slouch....but he is also no JT, especially in the speed department.
Injuries are an issue that every team faces. We have the best backup QB in the ACC. No Byerly is no JT5 but he has other skills and particularly the will to work hard and win. To go undefeated in this day and age is difficult. Injuries are part of the game but we lost Smelter early in the Georgia Game and kept rolling, lost Snoddy and didn't miss a beat, lost Days and Lasky, Perkins for games and kept rolling.

If Ted Roof can become as good a DC as Bud Foster We are going to be making a dynasty. CPJ knows how to score points. We now need to keep points off the board when our O makes a mistake. They got better at it as the season went forward last year. The chemistry for a great 2015 is in place. Go Jackets!!! THWG

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The one that gets me was the butt schooch by the Duke QB.......if that play is called correctly, we possibly win that game, then who knows what happens the next week against UNC. At least in the UGA game, we overcame the bad calls and still won.
IDR the butt schooch in Duke game. What part of game so I see it on replay. If the refs would call offensive holding on Duke it wouldn't be close.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
IDR the butt schooch in Duke game. What part of game so I see it on replay. If the refs would call offensive holding on Duke it wouldn't be close.

That's a great point. It also makes me think our D needs to show out in the first 2 games to help prevent similar ref bias vs the Domers.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As someone who's been involved in a moderately successful sports season, and hype machine, should this team get on one, do not expect any exam week to stand in its way of success, just expect grades to suffer.

this is as it should be. 25 years down the road, these kids will remember being part of a conference championship and NC playoff team far more than they will their fall semester GPA. How many of old guys can recall what our fall quarter GPA was back in our sophomore year?;)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
this is as it should be. 25 years down the road, these kids will remember being part of a conference championship and NC playoff team far more than they will their fall semester GPA. How many of old guys can recall what our fall quarter GPA was back in our sophomore year?;)
You are right to a point. But if JHD doesn't measure up this semester, then ...