Being an Alabama fan....

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, they have some total snoozer football games. It really just highlights how insanely good they are. But at some of these games I wonder if it sucks for the fans to be up 40-0 at halftime for half of your games. I've been to games like that and people just leave early. Not sure if they do that at Alabama, but I have seen it elsewhere.

Probably one of those "good problems" to have... like having too many women wanting to date you.

40-0 at halftime against Arkansas State
49-7 at halftime against Ole Miss
49-0 against LA Lafayette
45-16 end of 3rd quarter against A&M
35-0 at halftime against Mercer (2017)
41-0 at halftime against Kent State (2017)
52-6 against USC (2017)
51-3 against Mississippi State (2017)
54-14 against Florida (2017)
49-10 against Tennessee (2017)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I know a few Alabama fans that really don’t follow them as much anymore because it’s boring. I certainly don’t even bother turning them on even if ESPN tries to play it up as a big game Bama-Ole Miss, Bama-A&M. Anyone with half a brain knew these would be blowouts. Bama-LSU and Bama-Auburn are about the only ones worth watching and even then who cares because even if Bama loses one they’ll be in the playoffs. Only team out there that gets a free loss every year. Hell losing one of these games so they don’t have to play in their conference championship game only helps them more getting to the playoffs.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Who thinks there is no professional football in Alabamer. Alabama should go ahead and join the NFL. They wouldn't win enough games to get into the play-offs, but they could probably take the Bills, Cardinals, Browns, Dolphins, and the Bengals while getting strong television ratings. I was first thinking TIC, but dang this isn't a bad idea. The NFL could have a college division that plays NFL teams and the rest of us could have college football where it should be.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Who thinks there is no professional football in Alabamer. Alabama should go ahead and join the NFL. They wouldn't win enough games to get into the play-offs, but they could probably take the Bills, Cardinals, Browns, Dolphins, and the Bengals while getting strong television ratings. I was first thinking TIC, but dang this isn't a bad idea. The NFL could have a college division that plays NFL teams and the rest of us could have college football where it should be.
Those NFL teams have 52 nfl players on them. Bama may have 15

Deleted member 2897

I know a few Alabama fans that really don’t follow them as much anymore because it’s boring. I certainly don’t even bother turning them on even if ESPN tries to play it up as a big game Bama-Ole Miss, Bama-A&M. Anyone with half a brain knew these would be blowouts. Bama-LSU and Bama-Auburn are about the only ones worth watching and even then who cares because even if Bama loses one they’ll be in the playoffs. Only team out there that gets a free loss every year. Hell losing one of these games so they don’t have to play in their conference championship game only helps them more getting to the playoffs.

Yea, I mean what is the point? Yes you can buy a great team in college, but that's not really the point of college. So what is the point? I don't doubt they've gotten bored with it all. There are only a handful of schools willing to buy good teams. How does it make you feel that you've eschewed the point of college in order to win a football game? What satisfaction is there in that? Over at Georgia, they've had 40 players arrested in the last 6 years and a 41% 6 year graduation rate. And they still can't win it all. Because a couple other teams are paying even more to win a football game. Its just proof that cheating and cutting corners to win does not result in actual satisfaction when you do.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea, I mean what is the point? Yes you can buy a great team in college, but that's not really the point of college. So what is the point? I don't doubt they've gotten bored with it all. There are only a handful of schools willing to buy good teams. How does it make you feel that you've eschewed the point of college in order to win a football game? What satisfaction is there in that? Over at Georgia, they've had 40 players arrested in the last 6 years and a 41% 6 year graduation rate. And they still can't win it all. Because a couple other teams are paying even more to win a football game. Its just proof that cheating and cutting corners to win does not result in actual satisfaction when you do.
You have to give Saban credit because there are plenty of schools that do the same thing without anywhere close to the same success. They are well coached and practically never come out flat unlike plenty of other teams that have similar talent levels. It’s just boring to watch.

Deleted member 2897

You have to give Saban credit because there are plenty of schools that do the same thing without anywhere close to the same success. They are well coached and practically never come out flat unlike plenty of other teams that have similar talent levels. It’s just boring to watch.

That's a good point. I could probably name 6-8 of the ones you are thinking of. Just in the $EC.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
They have for many years now had the most and best talent. They now have a video game QB - it is going to be a boring year if Tua stays healthy. As I call them, NFL Tuscaloosa.

Sa(b)an could never win with equal talent over better gameday coaches, in my opinion, but let him stack the deck, use his micro-managing organizational and disciplinarian skills, and he will overwhelm the other college teams with just sheer better, bigger, and faster players. I am not saying he is a "bad" coach - he is not, but I don't think he would be able to thrive where he had less or equal talent. He is a mercenary.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I work with two die hard Bama fans. I ask them how they can watch the games. All of their games are insanely boring to watch because they’re just ridiculously good and blowing everyone out by halftime. It must be a luxury to have that problem as a football fan lol

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Bama games are boring - the QB has no pass rush to deal with so even though he is a great thrower is he really that good- how would he deal with a pass rush? I watched the first half of ole miss game and that's it for the year - 49-7 at half. Is that exciting? Don't think so.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The Bama games are boring - the QB has no pass rush to deal with so even though he is a great thrower is he really that good- how would he deal with a pass rush? I watched the first half of ole miss game and that's it for the year - 49-7 at half. Is that exciting? Don't think so.
Alabama would toy with Clemson,UGA or Ohio State this season in my opinion

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Back when I was a kid, the college all-stars played an NFL team each year. I remember this game. I think it was the last one ever played.

Some of these games were surprisingly competitive, and I think the college players actually won a couple times. (They also had a game in the '70s with US college all-stars against Canadian all-stars, played on a Canadian field with Canadian rules. That was really cool.)

The reasons they quit having the College All-Stars vs. NFL game: Back in the day, your average NFL player was a lot smaller. My dad at 6'-1", 230 lbs. could have easily played as a defensive lineman in his era. But the gap between the NFL veterans and elite college players was getting wider and wider at the time, and continued to do so over the following years. By the early '80s, it would have been no contest. The younger guys are quicker and usually have better reflexes, but they cannot compete pound-for-pound against stronger, older players. A man quits growing in height at around 17-19 years of age, but he continues to get stronger well into his 30's (barring significant injuries and premature wear-and-tear). That's why champion weightlifters are usually all in their 30's. One of the reasons the 1980 US hockey team was considered such a long-shot at the Olympics was because the average age of the team was only about 21, while the better teams at Lake Placid had players mostly in their late 20's and early 30's. That's 5-10 years of additional strength-building, experience and coaching. I was physically at my strongest at about age 40, though I no longer had the aerobic endurance of my early 20's.

Given that Alabama gets the cream of the country's athletes and has excellent coaching to boot, I could see them competing favorably against some of the weaker, less-motivated NFL teams. They could conceivably win 1-2 games out of a 5-game series against the very worst NFL teams.

TechPreacher

Banned
Schools like Alabama have a football "program", similar to how Tech has an engineering program and Emory has a medical program. All three are elite in the programs they offer.

Why can't Alabama (and others of their kind) just say that they do this? Drop the facade of "student athlete" and enroll kids into the football program. Other programs require class attendance and grades to graduate, but the "football program" requires film study, weightlifting, and practice. The other programs prepare students to be professionals in their chosen fields; "football programs" prepare players to play professional football.

Let the "football programs" then break away into their own league, and let the rest of us play college football.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
They have for many years now had the most and best talent. They now have a video game QB - it is going to be a boring year if Tua stays healthy. As I call them, NFL Tuscaloosa.

Sa(b)an could never win with equal talent over better gameday coaches, in my opinion, but let him stack the deck, use his micro-managing organizational and disciplinarian skills, and he will overwhelm the other college teams with just sheer better, bigger, and faster players. I am not saying he is a "bad" coach - he is not, but I don't think he would be able to thrive where he had less or equal talent. He is a mercenary.
Agree! Would love to play them with similiar talent. They know going in that they are more talented than any team they play.