Be Careful What You Wish For

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Heh, I've still been tracking Mooney at Richmond since we basically got him that lifetime contract. Results have been, shall we say, Hewitt-esque. Nah, they haven't even been that good. He's got a decent team this year but it's basically the first decent season they've had since giving him that contract.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I never wished for Bryce Drew. So. How bow dah.

I didn't either. Frankly, I never saw what was so appealing about him. I preferred one of the unknowns like Keatts or the Monmoth guy.

I'm gonna wait a year or two to try to trick folks into thinking I wanted CPast all along. Shhh, don't tell anybody. :sneaky:

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I didn't either. Frankly, I never saw what was so appealing about him. I preferred one of the unknowns like Keatts or the Monmoth guy.

I'm gonna wait a year or two to try to trick folks into thinking I wanted CPast all along. Shhh, don't tell anybody. :sneaky:
I wanted Gregg Marshall until CPast came on the scene and I thought man this guy can flat out recruit. Now.... I'm seeing he can coach too.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I grew up a Pitt fan and I have always been a J. Dixon fan. Hated to see him go and was sure that the replacement would not be as good. Victim of his own success. Pitt should be ashamed.

Pastner is pleasant surprise and the wins are very timely given the recruiting going on. What is with the multiple defenses? this may be an inside baseball discussion, but its seems his subtle changes in defenses is a major problem for other teams

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I grew up a Pitt fan and I have always been a J. Dixon fan. Hated to see him go and was sure that the replacement would not be as good. Victim of his own success. Pitt should be ashamed.

Pastner is pleasant surprise and the wins are very timely given the recruiting going on. What is with the multiple defenses? this may be an inside baseball discussion, but its seems his subtle changes in defenses is a major problem for other teams

I'm pretty sure defensive strategy comes from Reveno. His teams at Portland did this.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Norlander is about 3 notches below Dear Jon.

"Pastner inherited a decent roster at Tech"

He never said that before this article.

Hey matt

IMG_2862.JPG

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think the idea is that we do have less raw talent than most ACC teams we face. If we just went man to man, or stayed in any of the zone defenses too long, teams would get comfortable in attacking one style and then better talent would take a hold. By switching defenses so often, and sense we seem to know what we are doing, we make the opposing team have to beat us with quick recognition of how to attack rather than just constantly going to the smae match up advantages.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
the way we seemlessly seem to change from one d to another and back again is so much better than the phewitt version of hack a shaq d we had to watch for so many years.

again i do think that some of this in part is due to being careful in hiring assistants. that is on da coach and bobinsky. imo.

is anybody noticing that eye is starting to show the same kinds of moves on both O and D that lammers shows? may be its just wishful thinking on my part. i hope we also lock of coach reveno to a long term deal.

his work with the big men is evident.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think the idea is that we do have less raw talent than most ACC teams we face. If we just went man to man, or stayed in any of the zone defenses too long, teams would get comfortable in attacking one style and then better talent would take a hold. By switching defenses so often, and sense we seem to know what we are doing, we make the opposing team have to beat us with quick recognition of how to attack rather than just constantly going to the smae match up advantages.

It's like a pitcher in baseball that doesn't have a great heater. You just learn to pitch a different way.change eye level change speeds. Work both sides of the plate.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/m...eir-own-locker-room-per-report-204524314.html

we went after capel too! if i remember right.

2-3 with that lineup? im glad he passed on gt.

"Associate head coach Jeff Capel has been coaching the team in Krzyzewski’s absence, and is 2-3 since temporarily taking charge. Krzyzewski, who was originally expected to miss four weeks, could be back soon.

i think we got the perfect fit for gt in every possible way with cjp. im happy happy happy.
I wanted no part of Capel. Even if he did do good he would've jumped ship at the first opportunity for somewhere else.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I wanted Gregg Marshall until CPast came on the scene and I thought man this guy can flat out recruit. Now.... I'm seeing he can coach too.
We're seeing good coaching this season for sure. From the Shorter game to today, this may be the most improvement I have ever seen in a team (in fairness the bar was almost touching the ground after the Shorter game).

It's clear CJP and staff are recruiting hard and has chances to land more talent than CBG - we need to give that a year or two before passing judgement as he got such a late start in the spring that many CBG had not recruited already were too far in their decision process to give GT consideration. On-court success and development of players already here helps accelerate this.

As for the coaching, I think CJP has done a very good job, but a lot of the credit needs to also go to the assistants. They were each hired for a specific purpose. I was at VT game right behind the bench, and one observation I hds was the different roles each of the three had during the game. I could overhear some of the things/adjustments/strategies they recommended to CJP ... he listened and took most of them. Part of being a good head coach is getting good assistants around you and leveraging their strengths to address any weaknesses you may have. From all I have read, this was a problem for CJP at Memphis after the initial set of assistants he had moved on over time.

As for switching defenses - I think that has been a huge reason for our defensive effectiveness. To coaching staff's credit - they have spent a lot of time working on the zones and they play them well (whenever CBG teams went zone they were usually way too passive). I hope this continues - even as the talent level increases, having multiple defensive looks and changing things can make difference. Zones can and should not be an afterthought. How many times the last few years did teams finally get comfortable against CBG's defensive scheme for the game (worked well first half, we get lead or keep it close, other team adjusts, GT keeps doing same thing, other team catchs/passes us in second half).