Baye Declares for NBA; Retaining Eligibility

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's the agent I'm more worried about than Baye exploring his options. Baye should be exploring his professional options, as that's just smart due diligence. Hopefully, his agent is on the up and up and isn't working behind the scenes for ulterior motives.

This is a good headache because it means GT has a player that's very good. We dealt with it for Devoe, Kelly, and now Baye. Still, it's a headache because there's uncertainty involved with a player we were all counting on to help lead us towards becoming one of the better ACC teams.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's the agent I'm more worried about than Baye exploring his options. Baye should be exploring his professional options, as that's just smart due diligence. Hopefully, his agent is on the up and up and isn't working behind the scenes for ulterior motives.

This is a good headache because it means GT has a player that's very good. We dealt with it for Devoe, Kelly, and now Baye. Still, it's a headache because there's uncertainty involved with a player we were all counting on to help lead us towards becoming one of the better ACC teams.
Yep - terrible problem to have talent on the roster. Always want to check out their options and cause stress/headaches in the offseason :cool:

Not surprised Baye is checking on his options. I would too if I were him if just to get a review of what I need to work on. I expect it is shooting range so he can play 4 in the NBA - I don't think he can play 5 in the league. The con to your concern about the agent is CDS has really deep contacts in the NBA and can make sure Baye is getting the straight scoop. And FWIW if the ffeedback is there are multiple teams that would draft him now then he should go. I don't think so but go find out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you are certain to be drafted, you should go. Is Baye one of the top 64 players in the draft pool? I don't know. Before he declared he was somewhere between #150 and #200. FWIW, Kelly was not in the top 100.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
So much of draft position is determined by the upcoming work-outs. think what Josh Okogie did for himself with team workouts.

That fact alone makes prediction impossible because teams won't even rank a guy until they put them through work-outs.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So much of draft position is determined by the upcoming work-outs. think what Josh Okogie did for himself with team workouts.

That fact alone makes prediction impossible because teams won't even rank a guy until they put them through work-outs.

That could shift him up but how much? He has never been on one mock that I've seen. Neither of them for that matter.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Mock drafts don't represent the opinions of teams. Each NBA franchise has their own independent scouting personnel and a GM that is going to make final decisions. Any player has to impress only one team to make hay. Then guys might take a shot at being a free agent and land on a developmental squad for some bucks. Then there are international opportunities. It is not longer that it is either getting drafted or going back to college.

I don't even try to predict this stuff any more. There are the obvious blue chip guys. But there are only a couple of handfuls (if that) of those types a year. After that it is too foggy to take a stab at.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mock drafts don't represent the opinions of teams. Each NBA franchise has their own independent scouting personnel and a GM that is going to make final decisions. Any player has to impress only one team to make hay. Then guys might take a shot at being a free agent and land on a developmental squad for some bucks. Then there are international opportunities. It is not longer that it is either getting drafted or going back to college.

I don't even try to predict this stuff any more. There are the obvious blue chip guys. But there are only a couple of handfuls (if that) of those types a year. After that it is too foggy to take a stab at.
The mock drafts can be way off early in the process, but they get pretty close as time passes. It would be pretty unusual for a player ranked close to #200 to suddenly move up to the top 64. It could be that Baye moves up as a result of declaring for the draft. I doubt anyone really expected him to be considered this year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The quick thing this committee can say is no you are not on anyone’s draft list and conceptually here is why. I expect that is where Baye is but could be wrong

The other easy thing is you are a lottery/first round pick. The gray area of second round pick versus undrafted free agent projection is the difficult part. That is where workouts /visits would be helpful.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
That could shift him up but how much? He has never been on one mock that I've seen. Neither of them for that matter.
Shumpert went from not being on any mock drafts to being a sure first rounder because of his workouts. Shumpert was a double plus athlete, though, and I believe the NBA teams recognized that he was misused in college. Hewitt played him at point guard because he thought that would be his NBA position. He played mostly the 3 in the NBA.

I don't think Baye will jump off the page the same way. He is a good player but he is not a lock NBA player. Shumpert was a clear NBA player for his defense alone.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Shumpert went from not being on any mock drafts to being a sure first rounder because of his workouts. Shumpert was a double plus athlete, though, and I believe the NBA teams recognized that he was misused in college. Hewitt played him at point guard because he thought that would be his NBA position. He played mostly the 3 in the NBA.

I don't think Baye will jump off the page the same way. He is a good player but he is not a lock NBA player. Shumpert was a clear NBA player for his defense alone.

Shumpert and Okogie kinda, sorta followed similar paths once they declared.

I suspect Baye will come away with some very valuable feedback on what he needs to work on - which is the reason for him declaring in the first place.

I imagine he'll be told he could be drafted but as a developmental prospect. And it'll be up to him and his team as to whether he wants to start that process or come back a year, apply what he was told, and likely be a higher pick after next year.

As a big, its less likely but, if he shows out in workouts and scrimmages we may have a problem.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
He’d go undrafted, get to pick his team (based on likeliest path to make a roster), play well enough in camp/summer league to get on their G League team and ideally be on a two-way contract (each NBA team gets three of these). That’s his way in to get solid money, basketball development, and NBA experience. Simultaneously.

The G league history is irrelevant at this point because the rules are completely different now. The NBA believes that the G league is the second most talented basketball league in the world, and they’ve invested in it as such.
I think it’s gonna be hard to be an undrafted player competing for those spots with late-first and second round picks. If he can’t at least get drafted in the first like a developmental guy like Maxence-Prosper last year, I think he’d be better off showing another year’s worth of development at GT.

The NBA just got rid of Ignite because with NIL they didn’t see as much demand or need from players for an alternate development path to the draft. If GT can get him enough to easily beat G-League contracts and he gets feedback on future first round pick potential steps, that’s his best path.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
aT 6'9" ~215, the issue with Baye is what position can he defend in the NBA? He looks to me to have a lot of offensive up-side. I don't know about his defense. Is he a tweener?

I think a similar story was written for Moses Wright. He could score in the NBA, the issue is, I guess, that he can't defend up there.

But again, I have ZERO confidence that I can see what NBA scouts see. I only can see who makes and who doesn't and what those guys look like.