Baseball Stats models and rankings

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The statistics that mean the most, to me, are in baseball. ERA, batting average, etc.. Those are pretty meaningful.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The statistics that mean the most, to me, are in baseball. ERA, batting average, etc.. Those are pretty meaningful.
The "New Age" analytics folks would disagree. I am not a big fan of the New Age analytics folks. For most fans the metrics you cited are very useful. For the guys paying the money and offering scholarships I don't think they are the metrics that they live by.

I am with you on these stats!

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
😬 Yikes. If you visit BatteryPower.com for some Braves’ talk and say these words you will literally be tar’d -and-feather’d, spat upon, kicked in the balls and forcibly made to walk the walk of shame. Don’t ever mention ERA, BA. et al as being meaningful stats.. or, don’t believe me, just for fun, try it over there 😉

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
😬 Yikes. If you visit BatteryPower.com for some Braves’ talk and say these words you will literally be tar’d -and-feather’d, spat upon, kicked in the balls and forcibly made to walk the walk of shame. Don’t ever mention ERA, BA. et al as being meaningful stats.. or, don’t believe me, just for fun, try it over there 😉
I will never go to that place. Ha!

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Like , maybe: Whip and OBS+ ?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Like , maybe: Whip and OBS+ ?
For pitching, WHIP and FIP are more likely used by the new stats fans, because ERA has a lot of noise that comes the ballpark in which you are pitching (Colorado vs. Oakland), the defense behind you (Ozzie Smith or Willie Mays vs, Derek Jeter or Aaron Judge) and how your teammates handle the runners you left on base. Those other two stats normalize for these issues and speak more closely to your individual performance as a pitcher.

For batting, batting average tells an incomplete story. A guy who has a high batting but does not walk that much or hit for power is not as valuable as someone who may get hits less frequently, but walks more and gets more total bases. This is why OPS and OPS+ are now being used rather than BA (and RBIs, which are dependant on who gets on base in front of you. For example, if you get a single with Trea Turner on 2nd base, you will get an RBI 99% of the time. but if Giancarlo Stanton is on 2nd base, you get an RBI 0% of the time because he cannot move any more.).

Last edited:

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I will never go to that place. Ha!
Not a Braves fan? Or just don’t appreciate the stuffiness of metrics deciding opinions? ☺️

But, kidding aside, it’s a really active and informative fan site … between here and there it’s where I spend my online reading time. I highly recommend it to any Braves’ fan, or any person that dislikes Mets or Phillies 😝

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not a Braves fan? Or just don’t appreciate the stuffiness of metrics deciding opinions? ☺️

But, kidding aside, it’s a really active and informative fan site … between here and there it’s where I spend my online reading time. I highly recommend it to any Braves’ fan, or any person that dislikes Mets or Phillies 😝
Very much a Braves fan, but a very cautious “advanced” metrics fan. Like many, I think some of the “newer” metrics that are helpful are WHIP, FIP, OBP, etc.

I do think ERA can tell you a lot about SP, but it’s scaled to 9 innings and thus has -0- use in evaluating RPs. However, with the average SP pitching under 6.0 IP/game, it is telling us less and less. Also, the way inherited runners are handled, it’s a joke for RPs.

I also tend to be *very* skeptical of composite metrics like WAR, and metrics that are heavily dependent on proxies like range factors. There’s just too much noise, IMPO. For example, Acuna gets dinged for lousy range to his right, but he’s got a GG CF who has great speed and good break playing over there so he shades to the line early and often. They haven’t captured how to measure how often he’s standing there while Harris makes the play in front of him. Meh.

So I love baseball, see a lot of newer metrics being quite useful, but don’t swallow it all. Mainly I just want the game back from the nerds who are trying to turn it into an xbox game.

That is all.