"Bag Men"

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I was at the Masters a few years ago. One of the officials (like a guy who spots a ball in the trees or something) was talking to a friend of his who was a fan in attendance. I was right beside them and heard their conversation. The friend was a UGA guy. He says, "Yeah, I'm a bagman for UGA. The problem is Bama has a hundred of me."

All I can say about Tech is, that while I was there, I would've been very surprised to hear of it. None of the stars on that team seemed like there was any of it going on (and we were LB U during that time). These were CCG's early years. I remember Jonathan Smith driving an old "hooptie" and a lot of other players catching a ride with him. There were a couple guys with nice cars, but it was because they came from well-to-do families. It was mostly just a bunch of regular guys who were football players and regular students taking real tests. This is one of the main reasons I'm still a passionate GT fan.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Didn't uga wind up under investigation by the NCAA a few years after Herschel played? IIRC a transfer from uga to Tech (Tyrone Sorrells) helped with the investigation.
In 1994 I met a block mason on one of my job sites that swore he got a call from a home builder near Johnson Co. right after Herschel signed who offered him the masonry work on Herschel's parents new house. He convinced me he was telling the truth and he was a dwag fan.

northgajacket

Banned
In 1994 I met a block mason on one of my job sites that swore he got a call from a home builder near Johnson Co. right after Herschel signed who offered him the masonry work on Herschel's parents new house. He convinced me he was telling the truth and he was a dwag fan.

I have always heard that Herschel grew up impoverished and lived in a shack growing up so it would not surprise me if a new house was promised for his signature.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Several years ago, I stopped watching the NFL because of the showboats, the unsavory players, and the excessive money. I know there are some really good guys that have played or currently play in the NFL, like Warrick Dunn, but the bad seems to outweigh the good and nobody on the planet is worth what some of these guys get paid. Of course, almost all of these guys played college ball and their bad attitudes didn't show until they turned pro, i.e. Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manziel etc. Money and/or fame changed them for the worst, it appears.

I hope that this "bag men" topic is "fake news" or, at least, not widespread. If it does happen, I hope all involved are exposed. Large cash payouts and buying players would ruin college ball, in my opinion. I might would be okay with players getting a small stipend if all NCAA D-1 schools could agree on a like amount, but that's an entirely different topic.

I guess if this bagmen nonsense were to ever be exposed as widespread or at my alma mater, I would have a lot more free time in the fall and more money year-round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's real...always has been and always will be....not endorsing the practice...IIWII

northgajacket

Banned
I was at the Masters a few years ago. One of the officials (like a guy who spots a ball in the trees or something) was talking to a friend of his who was a fan in attendance. I was right beside them and heard their conversation. The friend was a UGA guy. He says, "Yeah, I'm a bagman for UGA. The problem is Bama has a hundred of me."

All I can say about Tech is, that while I was there, I would've been very surprised to hear of it. None of the stars on that team seemed like there was any of it going on (and we were LB U during that time). These were CCG's early years. I remember Jonathan Smith driving an old "hooptie" and a lot of other players catching a ride with him. There were a couple guys with nice cars, but it was because they came from well-to-do families. It was mostly just a bunch of regular guys who were football players and regular students taking real tests. This is one of the main reasons I'm still a passionate GT fan.

Why would someone brag about being a bag man?

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would someone brag about being a bag man?

They feel like it makes them more of a contributor to the team wins. My money brought X player here instead of there and he mad the difference in a couple games. Also the subtle brag about having enough money to throw around is a big one at brag fests.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Schools that were pushing for cost of attendance allowances are really happy it passed. Much harder to follow the $ players are spending now.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think it depends what exactly you call a bag man. I think every school out there offers impermissible benefits such as paid meals at someone’s house/restaurant, maybe picking up an electric bill or 2 every now and then when a player or player’s family needs help. Even buying a player some clothes or any kind of gift is a violation.

The biggest difference is when you have schools just flat out handing out large sums of cash, Chargers, strippers, etc. for the sole purpose of rewarding these players for playing at their school. This scenario is what I can’t really see happening currently at Tech and I’m not sure who on our team is head and shoulders above the rest talent wise to be “earning” this. My opinion is you either have a crap ton of boosters who can pay a crap ton of players (Alabama) or you have enough boosters to pay the elite 4-5 recruits you may have on your team. I don’t see any elite 4-5 players we may have to pay.

Deleted member 2897

The "Be your own bag man" slogan needs to gain a LOT more traction. That is exactly what GT has over all the others.

I offered up the license to that phrase to all Georgia Tech fans at no cost. Make it your signature. Yell it from the mountain tops.

This business of people telling guys Georgia Tech is too hard and you need handouts and bagmen to survive is insulting and demeaning. That's such an evil practice and insinuation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The "Be your own bag man" slogan needs to gain a LOT more traction. That is exactly what GT has over all the others.

This. Getting under the table cash and goods is all great, but making the NFL is hard. Your best bet is to invest in yourself and get the best degree you can. GT can help SAs with that, not only with prestige in degrees, but location to the Atlanta business scene and professional development while in school. When your services to the school are no longer needed, those bag men will disappear and erase you from their phones like you never existed. NO ONE can take your education and degree away from you, and the opportunities that come with it. That is the ticket to "be your own bag man".

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I offered up the license to that phrase to all Georgia Tech fans at no cost. Make it your signature. Yell it from the mountain tops.

This business of people telling guys Georgia Tech is too hard and you need handouts and bagmen to survive is insulting and demeaning. That's such an evil practice and insinuation.

Hey now I've been using that as my signature for a while! :D

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
What I don't understand is why USC Trojans have not been able to maintain a Bama type grip on being a football/BB power. I had a basketball friend, in college '50s who transferred from USC after his soph. year. He talked of how USC had "sponsers" to whom players were introduced and from whom they could get help, borrow cars, money for dates. "Bag man" not a term I heard before this board however.

Finding paying jobs for players, a long term practice, and as long as players clock in and do meaningful work seemed OK. I was given a job, on school custodial staff, to earn some spending money at NAIA level. I believe it was A &M that got in trouble over players not showing up and still being paid.

SMU's violation that got them the death penalty? Money, paid apartment....
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...gets-ncaa-death-penalty-worse-than-penn-state

IMO manipulation of grades and academics is worse than money under the table. If they can cheat with money, why won't they also cheat on the academics.