Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The other schools can vote to determine another school as an "interested party," which strips their vote. Needs to be a supermajority. Seems fraught with lawsuits if they do that, though.
Where do you see that in the bylaws? I don't see it anywhere. I suppose 3/4 could vote to change the bylaws and then vote to make some schools non-voting members, but to have a 3/4 vote, it would take 12 votes, so only 2 or 3 members could be made non-voting members. The scenario you are describing: making schools who want to dissolve the conference non-voting members to stop it would require a super-majority of both members who want to dissolve and members who want to make the dissolving members non-voting. It would be an impossible scenario.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Right. As soon as they're approached or have any conversations with other conferences, they're considered interested parties and have lost their vote. It would have to be a non-solicited, preemptive vote. Don't see that EVER happening....but it could.
I think I have read that another conference has that in the bylaws, but I don't see it in the ACC bylaws.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm not arguing it's doable. Based on what I read, it's possible, but way, way away from any reasonable chance. It would end up in the Courts, so who knows at that time.
Lots of faith in lawyers and courts on this board.

He who has the gold rules.
Acc works for espn who provides $.
If ESPN wants a new deal, i hope they like Gt/ Atl

Built billion $ projects - folks talk tough till they walk up the court house steps - then the back door negotiations that have neen on going come to the fore and the new deal is cut.
And every body goes back to work.
Or they go into the due diligence loop of discovery, expert witnesses, continuance, new judge, etc.

There is too much money and fun to be had. Pay and lets Play will beat out He said she said and blah blah

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
B12 has it in their bylaws. ACC has similar language, I've been led to understand.
I posted a link to the ACC constitution and bylaws. I didn't read every page in detail, but I did not see anything like that in the actual document. If you find it in there, let me know.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
What I see everyone forgetting is the TV folks are driving this whole thing, they are deciding what is going to happen. Think that through if you can and in my mind it puts a whole different slant on what could happen to the ACC. If the ACC does not do something, then over 14 yrs they become irrelevant IMO. The TV folks are not going to let those housetops of revenue go down the tube, no way.
“That’s a real nice basketball program you’ve got there, shame if something happened to it if you made trouble for our football super league plans for FSU and Clemson…”

That’s the mafia movie silly version of it, but in business there are contracts, but then there’s also power. Things are getting cutthroat already and the moneys only getting more extreme - at what point is it extreme enough that dying on the 2036 GOR hill is less attractive then making concessions in exchange for something - maybe just a softer post-2036 landing spot.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The B1G is looking at TV money. I am not sure anyone steals the Atlanta market from the SEC, but the only conference that could is the B1G. What if GT and USC are in the B1G? We are two of NDs biggest national rivalries. Plus the B1G teams they had to drop to play in the ACC. ND is going to be forced to join a conference in the new playoff system. I do not think it will be the ACC.
I am sorry, but we are not one of Notre Dame's biggest national rivalries. If you asked any Notre Dame fan under 70 for a list of rivalries, we would not break the top ten. Maybe not even the top 20.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am sorry, but we are not one of Notre Dame's biggest national rivalries. If you asked any Notre Dame fan under 70 for a list of rivalries, we would not break the top ten. Maybe not even the top 20.
Not many people under 70 would list Auburn or Tennessee as traditional rivalries for GT, but that doesn't change the historical facts. I am not advocating a return to the SEC, but those rivalries were wonderful.

I wonder how many people of any age would list Duke as one of our current rivals? I believe Tech & Duke have played every year since 1933. Which probably makes up the question of what is the basis for a rivalry. Is it playing frequently? Or, is it a home state thing?

Back to your point, I think ND matters more to us than to their fans.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not many people under 70 would list Auburn or Tennessee as traditional rivalries for GT, but that doesn't change the historical facts. I am not advocating a return to the SEC, but those rivalries were wonderful.

I wonder how many people of any age would list Duke as one of our current rivals? I believe Tech & Duke have played every year since 1933. Which probably makes up the question of what is the basis for a rivalry. Is it playing frequently? Or, is it a home state thing?

Yes, those rivalries were wonderful. But, again, I doubt if you asked any team in the SEC for their list of rivals, few of the fans would consider Tech outside of Ugag. That is what happens 60 years after leaving the conference. I am not sure we register for anyone outside our conference and ugag.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

It's hate, duh. Friendly rivalries are boring and don't motivate.

...so I guess what I'm saying is we gotta throw more rotten fish and booze bottles at ND?

I may need to reconsider here...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This just reiterates to me that the end of the decade is the likely next window. That is when the B10's contracts are up.
At that point they could be interested in PAC and ACC teams and will likely make moves based on who they think brings the most value and how easy it will be to bring teams in.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Kevin Warren and the Big 10 are not telling people what they're doing behind the scenes. I've heard it said by someone in CFB that it is ongoing with the Big 10 and other conferences.