Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC signing such a long TV contract is going to screw over alot of teams. I would imagine that Washington and Oregon are going to be Big 10 bound at some point as well. The rest of the Pac 12 and the Big 12 will merge into some kind of conference. Not sure what happens to the ACC. Full on basketball?

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The B1G is looking at TV money. I am not sure anyone steals the Atlanta market from the SEC, but the only conference that could is the B1G. What if GT and USC are in the B1G? We are two of NDs biggest national rivalries. Plus the B1G teams they had to drop to play in the ACC. ND is going to be forced to join a conference in the new playoff system. I do not think it will be the ACC.
I imagine that the BIG and most if not all the BIG teams would still love to regularly play games in Atlanta for the recruiting exposure and to place a flag right in the heart of SEC territory.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The ACC signing such a long TV contract is going to screw over alot of teams. I would imagine that Washington and Oregon are going to be Big 10 bound at some point as well. The rest of the Pac 12 and the Big 12 will merge into some kind of conference. Not sure what happens to the ACC. Full on basketball?
Maybe if all non-NC schools agree to leave at one time we can destroy the ACC from the inside-out

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Continuing my thought thread. Which ACC schools would the B1G want?

The B1G wants every member school to also be AAU members. From the AAU website, here are the ACC schools who are currently members:
Georgia Institute of Technology
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Duke University

Duke, UNC, and Pitt will not bring TV revenue of any significance to the conference. Neither will UVA because Maryland already brought the Washington and Baltimore markets. Northern Virginia gets all their TV out of Washington. That leaves only GT. I agree with other posters that in retrospect we should have jumped to the Big Ten when we had the chance.

If there are going to be two 20-team mega conferences as being predicted today, the B1G needs to add six schools. They got two with USC and UCLA. I think we should be watching GT, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona.

Look for Clemson, UNC, FSU and Miami to join the SEC.

What will happen to Duke, Wake, and the other ACC schools?

The wild card in all this is Notre Dame. They trump every other potential B1G member school.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The B1G wants every member school to also be AAU members. From the AAU website, here are the ACC schools who are currently members:
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Duke University

Duke, UNC, and Pitt will not bring TV revenue of any significance to the conference. Neither will UVA because Maryland already brought the Washington and Baltimore markets. Northern Virginia gets all their TV out of Washington. That leaves only GT. I agree with other posters that in retrospect we should have jumped to the Big Ten when we had the chance.

If there are going to be two 20-team mega conferences as being predicted today, the B1G needs to add six schools. They got two with USC and UCLA. I think we should be watching GT, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona.

The wild card in all this is Notre Dame. They trump every other potential B1G member school.
It's hard for me to get to the point of thinking about which ACC teams might leave without figuring out how they could leave. No one is going to pay a 52 million dollar buyout and give up their TV rights until 2036. The league would basically have to dissolve or ESPN and the ACC (and all of its members) would have to agree to terms on terminating the contract. Im not sure how either of those happen.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Duke University

What about Stanford? Could help bring ND onboard

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard for me to get to the point of thinking about which ACC teams might leave without figuring out how they could leave. No one is going to pay a 52 million dollar buyout and give up their TV rights until 2036. The league would basically have to dissolve or ESPN and the ACC (and all of its members) would have to agree to terms on terminating the contract. Im not sure how either of those happen.
I still think if ESPN wants this to happen, they will figure out a way.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Duke University

The hurdle to get over for GT (which USC and UCLA don't face) is the big difference between Pac 12 and ACC exit fees (if this is accurate):

Pac-12: No exit fee, but conference has grant of media rights through August 2024.

* ACC GoR was extended to 2035-36 when the ACCN was created; exit fee is about $96M as of 2021.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think if ESPN wants this to happen, they will figure out a way.
Big Ten Media Rights end in 2023 and SEC in 2024 (Pac 12 2024 and Big Twelve 2025...all have FAR more leverage than ACC which doesn't expire until 2036). If something is major is going to happen, I think it has to be in concert with a very large new TV contract. What if the Big Ten and SEC get together (vs. fighting each other), carve out 20 to 24 teams each and approach multiple networks for a monster TV contract. If they continue to compete, it would helped everyone else. But at the end, the leverage they would have if they cooperate is downright frightening.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Between this and the 3-5-5 pairings and the last 3 years my excitement for cfb is at an all time low.
I must admit that my enthusiasm bounced back with fantasies of getting picked up by the B1G but I was quickly brought back down to earth when I read about the $96 million buyout. It would be a nice change to play some of the B1G schools and create some new rivalries.

We need help.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The B1G is looking at TV money. I am not sure anyone steals the Atlanta market from the SEC, but the only conference that could is the B1G. What if GT and USC are in the B1G? We are two of NDs biggest national rivalries. Plus the B1G teams they had to drop to play in the ACC. ND is going to be forced to join a conference in the new playoff system. I do not think it will be the ACC.

TV money is yesterday's game. This is why anyone who says "Atlanta market" is taking an old revenue model view on where all sports is headed. I linked to this tweet in another thread:

This is strictly about eyeballs now, and which teams will command a bigger set of eyeballs for the streaming wars. This is why the B1G and SEC are fighting for "brands" as opposed to teams in certain markets. Texas/Oklahoma (SEC) and UCLA/USC (futur B1G) are four of the biggest brands in not just college sports, but all of US sports. Conferences are looking 10-50+ years down the road.

Unfortunately, GT does not command many eyeballs any longer. Even more unfortunate, is that GT administrators and fans continually look backwards instead of forwards. The B1G gave us a lifeline years ago by extending an invitation, but we were extremely short sighted. Now GT is heading into murky waters clinging on to a sinking ship.