B-Back Love Fest Thread

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Can we show a little love for the EXCEPTIONAL season that Days/Laskey/Connors combined for?

Combined stats: 1888 yards on 351 carries, 20 rushing TD's.

For comparison sake:
2008: Dwyer/Cox: 1595 yards on 226 carries, 15 TD's.
2009: Dwyer/Cox/Watson: 1463 yards on 253 carries, 15 TD's. (Anthony Allen may have also gotten some carries at BB, not sure)
2010: Allen/Cox/Lyons/Watson: 1539 yards on 286 carries, 7 TD's.
2011: Sims/Lyons/Cox/Watson: 1163 yards on 223 carries, 10 TD's.
2012: Sims/Laskey/Snoddy/Connors/Perkins: 1433 yards on 295 carries, 8 TD's.
2013: Sims/Laskey/Snoddy/Connors/Perkins: 1735 yards on 298 carries, 20 TD's.

I am not sure if Perkins or Snoddy had already been moved to AB in 12 or 13, I thought they were both running at BB the last 2 years before this year. I could be wrong. Regardless, this year was the most impressive year ever for our BB's. These guys did some DAMAGE this year and it was so fun to watch! Kudos to both these young men and the O-Line for some exceptional work this year! Thanks to Synjyn, Zack and Matt for all your hard work for this program!!!!

THWG!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great post. When you look at how we have used so many people at BB, I'm optimistic we'll find another two or three for next year (already hit the details in another thread).

One of the things that makes the BB look so good is the OL is improving.

I had flashbacks to JD when Days went down the sidelines. That run was a thing of beauty. And it is unconscious good that we scored 10 TDs on the opening drive of the second half this year in our 14 games.

One question for you guys who know line blocking techniques. @Boomergump , @stylee @InsideLB What adjustment did we make to our line blocking in the second half that opened up those massive holes for the dive? Did we pull different OT/OGs and thereby screw up the MSU reads? Or did we just wear them down and execute our blocks better?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Great post. When you look at how we have used so many people at BB, I'm optimistic we'll find another two or three for next year (already hit the details in another thread).

I had flashbacks to JD when Days went down the sidelines. That run was a thing of beauty. And it is unconscious good that we scored 10 TDs on the opening drive of the second half this year in our 14 games.

One question for you guys who know line blocking techniques. @Boomergump , @stylee @InsideLB What adjustment did we make to our line blocking in the second half that opened up those massive holes for the dive? Did we pull different OT/OGs and thereby screw up the MSU reads? Or did we just wear them down and execute our blocks better?

Nuke mostly what I saw was moving outside the guard's shoulder on the inside runs. When they moved away from the A gap it seemed the line had better angles on their blocks and the MLB could not scrape to the outside and fill. The best example was on Synjyn's long run.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Good question. I have not reviewed the replay yet. This is what I thought I saw. They were doing a good job stuffing the A gap and the DE was staying out playing the QB. So, in response we ran the dive to the B gap while doubling the DT with our OG and OT pinning him inside. Then we had the play side AB run INSIDE the DE and whack the MLB. They never adjusted. One of the things I love about CPJ is he keeps doing something until you make a change to stop it. We just ran that over and over and over. They obviously had a paradigm about what TO offense was and could not or would not adjust.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good question. I have not reviewed the replay yet. This is what I thought I saw. They were doing a good job stuffing the A gap and the DE was staying out playing the QB. So, in response we ran the dive to the B gap while doubling the DT with our OG and OT pinning him inside. Then we had the play side AB run INSIDE the DE and whack the MLB. They never adjusted. One of the things I love about CPJ is he keeps doing something until you make a change to stop it. We just ran that over and over and over and over and over and over and pass and over and over and over again. They obviously had a paradigm about what TO offense was and could not or would not adjust.

FIFY lol

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some of it was the midline... Some was a counter dive in the second half....And some just a normal dive...

When we ran the triple they were taking the BB ever time.

When they started firing the comers a lot, we went away from the triple.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Ran a lot of Belly G plays (pulling playside guard) in the 2nd half. JT last 2 touchdowns were off the midline. He has showed so much more patience in letting the blocks set and trusting that it will get set on the midline as the year has progressed.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I wonder what would have been if Days was at BB all year long. Laskey was great especially against Miami but that one two punch between the two is just brutal.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I may have missed it but don't recall any midline plays
Two of Thomas' touchdown runs in the 2nd half were off of midline. One Bostic misses his block and Thomas goes outside and jukes the corner and the other one where Bostic makes his block and Thomas goes up the middle. I think we at least ran 2 others.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Good question. I have not reviewed the replay yet. This is what I thought I saw. They were doing a good job stuffing the A gap and the DE was staying out playing the QB. So, in response we ran the dive to the B gap while doubling the DT with our OG and OT pinning him inside. Then we had the play side AB run INSIDE the DE and whack the MLB. They never adjusted. One of the things I love about CPJ is he keeps doing something until you make a change to stop it. We just ran that over and over and over. They obviously had a paradigm about what TO offense was and could or would not adjust.
As usual, Boomer is spot on. I saw the A back adjustment and the change to running at the B gap but I could not understand why the defensive tackles were so helpless in the second half now I see. Thanks Boomer. It seems like we did something similar in the Georgia game but I may be wrong.