Avery Showell in the transfer portal

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So when Mel Tucker quit on Colorado in February and went to Michigan state it was fine but players like Avery graduating and announcing their intent to transfer is problematic?
The question was “Do I complain about coach movement” and I said I do complain about it when they leave during the season. I’m taking no sides on this. My personal belief is if a coach or player quits during a season, barring a death or other type of accident in the family, then that’s wrong because it shows lack of loyalty to the program. If a coach or player leaves during the off season then it’s every man for himself. In this case it’s a GT player during a season quitting on his team.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The question was “Do I complain about coach movement” and I said I do complain about it when they leave during the season. I’m taking no sides on this. My personal belief is if a coach or player quits during a season, barring a death or other type of accident in the family, then that’s wrong because it shows lack of loyalty to the program. If a coach or player leaves during the off season then it’s every man for himself. In this case it’s a GT player during a season quitting on his team.

Keep in mind a normal season would be over, outside of s bowl game. He shouldn't have to delay finding a grad school because covid postponed games.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

In another year, I might agree with you. This year, the end of the season is too close to the December signing date. If the Miami game happens (and it probably won't) schools will have signed recruits before the season is over. Keep in mind that coaches can't talk to players that are not in the portal. A player intending to transfer this year would severely limit options by waiting until the season is over to enter the portal. Our coaches may have encouraged some players to enter the portal-we just don't know.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So that begs the question, if we were undefeated and in the playoffs would anyone change their view on players leaving the team? Something tells me these guys would be sticking around and still finding a way to make it work for next year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
In another year, I might agree with you. This year, the end of the season is too close to the December signing date. If the Miami game happens (and it probably won't) schools will have signed recruits before the season is over. Keep in mind that coaches can't talk to players that are not in the portal. A player intending to transfer this year would severely limit options by waiting until the season is over to enter the portal. Our coaches may have encouraged some players to enter the portal-we just don't know.
This is the exact reason why we have seen an unusually high number of players entering the transfer portal in the last few weeks. Waiting until after the season will limit your opportunities. This definitely does not indicate a player is quitting on his team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean.. if a guy knows playing a game is not good for him, then he does the right thing by stepping back and reassessing. There is nothing wrong in my opinion with a guy realizing it isn’t right for him to stay.

Loyalty doesn’t get you snaps, fit and skill do. Just like I wouldn’t want a coach to start a 5th year dog over a 2nd year phenom just cause of “sweat equity”. He is leaving on good terms with the school, coaches and players - it just makes sense given the timing of the calendar to do this now. Good luck to him and may he find what he is looking for.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
So that begs the question, if we were undefeated and in the playoffs would anyone change their view on players leaving the team? Something tells me these guys would be sticking around and still finding a way to make it work for next year.
I would not feel any differently. This is a different year where signing day falls prior to the completion of the season. I fully support these guys looking out for their best interest.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Do the guys that enter the portal still have access to meals, weight room, tutors, medical rehab, etc. I would think no but guess it depends on the coach. Tuition and books already done.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do the guys that enter the portal still have access to meals, weight room, tutors, medical rehab, etc. I would think no but guess it depends on the coach. Tuition and books already done.
Pretty much all depends on what kind of relationship a player has with the coaches/training staff. A grad transfer like Showell probably has full access to everything and is being encouraged to make use of it. An undergrad with a good relationship can probably use the weight room outside of team hours, but won’t get “team issued” tutors, training access, or meals. Anybody with a bad relationship probably gets locked out completely.