Auburn

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Year in. Year out. It’s the same discussion over and over about how we consistently underachieve as a baseball program.

I have my own thoughts as to why he’s the active all time winningest coach but let’s compare him to a great coach in Mike Martin Sr of FSU that had similar longevity as Hall.

It has been stated multiple times that tech fans have unrealistic expectations so let’s discuss using Hall and Martin above.

Mike Martin and Danny Hall have both never won a national championship.

# of Cws appearances
Martin- 17
Hall- 3

# of Supers
Martin- 27
Hall- 6

# of times missed ncaa tournament
Martin -none
Hall - 6

# of times .500 or below conference acc record
Martin - 1 (2017- 14-14)
Hall- 10

Folks I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect tech to compete for a regional bid every year. Win the conference every 3-5 years. Win a regional 3-4 times out of ten.

No one is expecting a championship and for us to buy a title like lsu does with Skenes and Tommy White but look at the talent that has come through this program for twenty plus years and ask yourself why are we not more successful. How is it even possible that a first round mlb pick in Kevin Parada never even sniffed the grass of Omaha along with multiple teammates that made mlb rosters….If it’s not about talent, where’s the problem

Uva was not a baseball destination for top talent until O’Connor came in and changed the culture. They are now regularly in Omaha and hold a natty from 2015.

How has duke and wake passed us by? Coaching

Why is the fan base so scared of change….

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I guess the fundamental question is whether the AD is willing to accept continued mediocrity or take the risk of hiring a new coach. Money (donors) will influence that decision.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Well J Batt did exactly that for football and basketball so I don’t see how baseball would be any different

No one can argue that we are much better off with Brent Key and Damon’s Stoudamire than with their predecessors.

Uga ,Clemson, and FSU all made coaching changes to their baseball programs recently and all will likely host a regional with Clemson and FSU being national seeds.

Regarding $$. Let’s be candid here. We are talking about the biggest contributor to the baseball program.

My question would be…Is he a hall fan or a ga tech baseball fan

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
My thoughts on this discussion is that it is at least 3 weeks too early. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out before burying the team. As recently as Saturday we had posters on here talking about how this team could be a regional host (crazy talk, IMO), and now we have folks burying the team based on a couple disappointing outcomes. I know an aspect of being a fan involves wearing one's emotions on their sleeve, but goodness gracious this board is schizophrenic to the extreme. If we do play poorly the next three weeks there will be plenty of opportunity to discuss CFDH's future. Between now and then try to calm down and enjoy the action on the field.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well J Batt did exactly that for football and basketball so I don’t see how baseball would be any different

No one can argue that we are much better off with Brent Key and Damon’s Stoudamire than with their predecessors.

Uga ,Clemson, and FSU all made coaching changes to their baseball programs recently and all will likely host a regional with Clemson and FSU being national seeds.

Regarding $$. Let’s be candid here. We are talking about the biggest contributor to the baseball program.

My question would be…Is he a hall fan or a ga tech baseball fan

Teixeira is a Hall fan first but also a GT fan of course IMHO. I think he is first and foremost a fan of developing players for the MLB and then good character development. Hall obviously did right by Teixeira and they are both very loyal (a good trait IMHO).

Hall is a good guy from everything I've seen. My issue is I put GT winning above developing players for the MLB. It college baseball and I root for the team, not the players future success. Of course I like to see our players succeed in the MLB but that is secondary to winning regionals.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok I concur on the timing as it was more out of frustration yet again on another big opportunity missed.

I assume you are referring to me regarding the season as a potential host and now it’s over. Never said that. I still think this team makes a regional and with regards to my host potential comment, that was after taking the series vs Uva and whipping a quality ksu team.

Had they closed out the season winning 8 of 11 to include both midweek games and 6-3 in acc…they would’ve deserved to host with the level of competition faced but that is moot point now.

Reality is we got swept by a really bad auburn baseball team that currently sits 4-20 in the sec and would take a miracle to make their conference tournament.

My comments and comparisons about coach have little to do with last nights loss and more so of 18 years of this level of coaching and play.

I couldn’t agree more with GtNavyNuke that hall is a great man that is beloved by players and parents alike.

The lack of hustle from Burress last night that cost us a run is a huge reason I’m not a fan of a players coach.

My sons 14 u coach is all over my kid when he is not focused or running hard. He’s not trying to be my sons or my best buddy. I appreciate that about him. He’s constantly coaching.

I attend tech baseball games both at home and on the road and will likely go cheer on my jackets against fsu and I’ve had many conversations with relatives of big time players on former and current teams. One thing is for certain they ALL love Coach Hall but multiple times I’ve heard that coaching and accountability just isn’t there.

Now take that for what it’s worth.

True or not.

I can see with my own eyes and if you saw what I heard and saw at Clemson, you’d clearly understand why I feel the way I do.

I digress

Go jackets!!!

Beat the blue devils.

Get a regional bid and I’ll follow you guys to whatever destination the committee sends you to

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I know an aspect of being a fan involves wearing one's emotions on their sleeve, but goodness gracious this board is schizophrenic to the extreme.
That would be me.

I just want some good pitching. We got it much of last night, and lost for a wide variety of other reasons, but we are at a stage of the season where our poor pitching earlier has put us squarely on the bubble, so we need to be much better than last night to (1) get in, and (2) go anywhere other than '2 and que' if we do get in.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
It expecting to win at least one game against the worst team in the SEC an unrealistic elevated expectation of the program? Asking for a friend.
No, but as you know a season is not made or broken based on two mid-week games. Had we won both of these games, would you be typing how great this season is going?

TBH, I had zero expectations for how our two games against Auburn would turn out since they are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. If we wake up on May 25th and our season is over then Coach Hall will deserve all the arrows thrown his way. Just as he deserves all the arrows thrown his way over the performance of the past 18 seasons.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Realistically... impossible for me to imagine JBatt firing Hall. Of course... he could help Hall speed up his (Hall's) retirement date. I just think (like it or not)... JBatt has already decided he'll deal with replacing Hall the moment Hall tells him when his last season/game will be.

It's fine to wish hope & wonder about all the possibilities... but the likely scenario seems obvious to me. Non-revenue sport. Comparing to football & basketball from the ADs perspective is apples & oranges.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
No, but as you know a season is not made or broken based on two mid-week games. Had we won both of these games, would you be typing how great this season is going?

TBH, I had zero expectations for how our two games against Auburn would turn out since they are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. If we wake up on May 25th and our season is over then Coach Hall will deserve all the arrows thrown his way. Just as he deserves all the arrows thrown his way over the performance of the past 18 seasons.
Is our season going great despite those losses? When was our last great season?

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Realistically... impossible for me to imagine JBatt firing Hall. Of course... he could help Hall speed up his (Hall's) retirement date. I just think (like it or not)... JBatt has already decided he'll deal with replacing Hall the moment Hall tells him when his last season/game will be.

It's fine to wish hope & wonder about all the possibilities... but the likely scenario seems obvious to me. Non-revenue sport. Comparing to football & basketball from the ADs perspective is apples & oranges.
A few clemson fans felt the same about Legget and we see how that turned out. They are better now than they ever were. Batt is either a AD with a spine or he isn't. There isn't one singular skill that Hall possess that can't be replaced or strengthened by a new coach. The program is at rock bottom right now. Danny has successfully eroded the shine that all tech fans enjoyed watching for 30÷ years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
A few clemson fans felt the same about Legget and we see how that turned out. They are better now than they ever were. Batt is either a AD with a spine or he isn't. There isn't one singular skill that Hall possess that can't be replaced or strengthened by a new coach. The program is at rock bottom right now. Danny has successfully eroded the shine that all tech fans enjoyed watching for 30÷ years.
Leggett has been gone for almost 10 years. We'll see how 2024 shakes out. But Clemson is on their 2nd coach post-Leggett & never made it out of a regional.

I wasn't making a case for JBatt to keep Hall around. I'm just resigned to the fact that's what we're witnessing.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If Tex/Batt want to keep CDH, they should consider bringing in a very experienced, hard nosed assistant coach, with high baseball IQ, and let him run player development with accountability and let CDH recruit, admin duties, and, be buds with the players while backing up the new guy. I like Ramsey a lot but he is too much like Hall in my book. Tex has enough money to keep Ramsey also until Danny is finished and Ramsey replaces him. Yes, I enjoy spending other people's money. 🤣

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Leggett has been gone for almost 10 years. We'll see how 2024 shakes out. But Clemson is on their 2nd coach post-Leggett & never made it out of a regional.

I wasn't making a case for JBatt to keep Hall around. I'm just resigned to the fact that's what we're witnessing.
Not suggesting you were making a case for hall. Simply saying ripping off the hall bandaid will not be as bad as some brass may think it is. Hall replaced a legend it can be done.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

No contract extension before existing contract expires.