Auburn Prof Spoke out on Special Treatment for Athletes

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
A prof spoke out on a special major for athletes and was demoted and to quote from Jonathan Turley: Stern quickly found that such criticism would come at a price. He was removed as department chair and found himself the recipient of lower bonuses and raises.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A prof spoke out on a special major for athletes and was demoted and to quote from Jonathan Turley: Stern quickly found that such criticism would come at a price. He was removed as department chair and found himself the recipient of lower bonuses and raises.
FWIW, the economics dept has been an unhappy problem child for years. The business school kicked it out and it’s been wandering on campus looking for a home. Stern has pretty much alienated everyone and everyone wishes he and the dept would just go away. $645K? Adios.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
John Urschel of the Baltimore Ravens discovered the large cluster of football players in PUBA at Auburn and wrote about it in his “Math Meets Football” blog. Mr. Urschel calculated the odds that the amazingly high density of football players in the PUBA major could have occurred randomly at roughly 1 in 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (1 in three undecillion). Pretty low odds.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Is his last name Kemp?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the economics dept has been an unhappy problem child for years. The business school kicked it out and it’s been wandering on campus looking for a home. Stern has pretty much alienated everyone and everyone wishes he and the dept would just go away. $645K? Adios.
There is a reason why Economics is sometimes called "the dismal science". President Truman was once asked what he wanted for Christmas by a reporter. Says the President, "A one handed economist" Startled, the reporter blurts out "Why Mr. President?" "Because all the ones I have keep saying on the other hand."

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Complaining about football players at a football factory. The thinking of academics is sometimes curious.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Complaining about football players at a football factory. The thinking of academics is sometimes curious.
If you go to Jonathon Turley's blog: https://jonathanturley.org/ and read the filing. The professor had a broad amount of support in both his department and the "professor senate" or whatever it was called. He even had support from the outgoing Auburn President. The new president seemed to initially support him but waffled under pressure.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I still remember the stink from a divorce court trial in which an 80's ex-Auburn running back and GRADUATE ,who played Pro, said he couldn't give his wife much money because (he retired from football) and he couldn't support himself since he was--- illiterate!!!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you go to Jonathon Turley's blog: https://jonathanturley.org/ and read the filing. The professor had a broad amount of support in both his department and the "professor senate" or whatever it was called. He even had support from the outgoing Auburn President. The new president seemed to initially support him but waffled under pressure.
His rep is kryptonite. Not well-liked and a bit of a disgruntled employee. He’s his own worst enemy. I think he got offices in a basement somewhere. No one will touch him.

The economics dept is small. Broad support is an oxymoron.

Not sure about the faculty Senate. He’s was presenting one time and most of the rest just dropped off. Same rants over and over.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I still remember the stink from a divorce court trial in which an 80's ex-Auburn running back and GRADUATE ,who played Pro, said he couldn't give his wife much money because (he retired from football) and he couldn't support himself since he was--- illiterate!!!
At least he was honest about it. In his shoes, I would have lied probably in my reduced financial circumstances.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was just saying to myself, "Boy, I sure wish we could talk about Auburn more often in the GEORGIA TECH SWARM forum."

:rolleyes:
Not enough? Come with my wife and I to south Alabama for Thanksgiving and my relatives will give you all the Auburn details you can stand. My sister in law still has her "DYE HARD AUBURN FAN" T shirt.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
His rep is kryptonite. Not well-liked and a bit of a disgruntled employee. He’s his own worst enemy. I think he got offices in a basement somewhere. No one will touch him.

The economics dept is small. Broad support is an oxymoron.

Not sure about the faculty Senate. He’s was presenting one time and most of the rest just dropped off. Same rants over and over.
Go read the filing at Turleys blog. The jury believed him and gave him $500K in punitive damages. It is not his equals who assigned him the offices in the basement. Professors outside of his department supported him; $500k punitive damages on a $145k awards speaks volumes. How much are you willing to tolerate/condone at Auburn

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Go read the filing at Turleys blog. The jury believed him and gave him $500K in punitive damages. It is not his equals who assigned him the offices in the basement. Professors outside of his department supported him; $500k punitive damages on a $145k awards speaks volumes. How much are you willing to tolerate/condone at Auburn
That’s a drop in the bucket. Theres 5,000 in faculty and admin. I’d be surprised if he had 50 “supporters”.

But so what? It wasn’t that long ago Tech had professors proposing to change the lyrics in our fight songs. She had “broad support” too. Does that make her right?

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
$500k punitive on 145K damages is a big ratio and it means the jury most probably saw the injustice in how he was treated. Until you read the filing you will not know how many supporters he had. you are comparing changes to a fight song to condoning preferential treatment to athletes. This hurts the athletes much more than the school. I will ask you again; how much are you willing to to condone at Auburn.