Attendance Down Significantly (AJC)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I live north of Atlanta and there always seem to be multiple lane closures because of construction or wrecks. I even tried taking MARTA but getting to the station can sometimes be an issue for the same reason. Thursday night games were almost impossible. I’ve been to Clemson, Athens, Auburn, Notre Dame, etc. with less issues. Regardless, it isn’t something that GT can fix but it is a pain.
One drawback to the ATL is that most major league cities have much better mass transit. Hence our traffic is as bad as cities more than twice our size. Too late for most of us but for the sake of your kids and grandkids it is time to lobby governments to quit spending money to subsidize car traffic and invest in more efficient mass transit.

The older I get the less interest I have in proving I can handle the downtown connector and the more I would love the experience I’ve had riding the train to the NY Mets or the Boston Celtics. Tech could get out front on this and lead and make urban campuses cool again, with Tech’s game day experience being the envy of schools across the country.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One drawback to the ATL is that most major league cities have much better mass transit. Hence our traffic is as bad as cities more than twice our size. Too late for most of us but for the sake of your kids and grandkids it is time to lobby governments to quit spending money to subsidize car traffic and invest in more efficient mass transit.

The older I get the less interest I have in proving I can handle the downtown connector and the more I would love the experience I’ve had riding the train to the NY Mets or the Boston Celtics. Tech could get out front on this and lead and make urban campuses cool again, with Tech’s game day experience being the envy of schools across the country.
When I lived in Alpharetta, I always took Marta to the game. Get off at North Ave, a bite at the Varsity and sail into BDS. It was the easiest way to your seat of any stadium I've been to.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Look at the point differential with the loses and you will be surprised. Coaching mistakes, missed FG, blown assignments all count as breaks. Hate CGC as much as you want, but we have been beaten by more that 12 pts only once this year.

wut.

We had a miracle holding penalty to stop a drive followed by a 90+ yard drive to comeback against Duke.

We returned a KO for a TD in the BC game.

We recovered 2 onside kicks in the UVA game.

We recovered an onside kick against Clemson.

The football gods must have thrown their hands up in frustration after the final whistle against Miami having done everything they could possibly think of to give us a W.

But yeah. Could have used a different call to beat NIU. That’s true. We really got a bad break against NIU. If it weren’t for a bad bounce we wouldn’t have lost to NIU. Cant expect to beat NIU when you get a bad call.

Yeah, what the hell are you talking about TooTall? lol. This has easily been one of the luckiest Tech teams I’ve ever witnessed and we can’t win more than three games. Who gets three onside kicks in a season? We had four fumbles against Miami and only lost one. Miami had three fumbles and lost all three…and we still lost the game. This team is nowhere close to being 9-1, but keeping telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

Regarding attendance, what do you guys expect? It’s never been our strong suit and we’ve now sucked for three years. It’s only going to get worse. I have taken a fan of the opposing team twice to a game this year (Pitt and BC). Even though those two are good friends, the initial idea was never to bring opposition to The Flats, but no one else wanted to go this year.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
He’s just not a good coach and people realize it now. Also not sure how good his recruiting even is. IMO, any decent recruiter could recruit Lows 30 to High 20s at Tech and that’s all Collins has done. Recruiting isn’t that hard when you aren’t going for big time talent, we’ve gotten 1 top 100 guy. The guys we are getting is the guys we always should’ve been getting. We are getting kids who are still high 3 low 4 star guys that UGA, Clemson, Bama didn’t want.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree. The upper east is the best vantage point for football anywhere. Now if we just had a good team to watch from there.
Those used to be senior student seats and graduate student section was next to it. Those are great seats. You can really see the plays developing from up there. It is hot in September up there.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Link to article.

“The announced attendance for the Yellow Jackets’ Saturday home loss to Boston College - 31,511 - was the lowest for a Tech home game since a November 1989 game against Boston College.”
Link to article.

“The announced attendance for the Yellow Jackets’ Saturday home loss to Boston College - 31,511 - was the lowest for a Tech home game since a November 1989 game against Boston College.”
SCARY REALITY ON HOW FAR INTEREST IN OUR TEAM HAS FALLEN:

The 2007 Boston College at Georgia Tech had an attendance of 51,112 (93% of our 55K seating capacity). This was #15 GT with RB Tashard Choice vs. #21 BC with QB Matt Ryan so “a game that actually mattered” with Chan Gailey as our HC.

19,601 less people (assume mostly GT fans) attended this year’s BC@GT. If the BC game was a $60 ticket, the GTAA lost $1.2 million in ticket revenue this year as compared to back then.

I was there in 2007 and 2021. How many others were? Only 57% of BDS was filled. Who owns that problem? With 6 other home games (I am excluding UGA) that had weak attendance, it appears that $6-7 million in ticket revenues were “lost” in 2021. That’s not chump change - especially over a 5+ year period!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

The 2007 Boston College at Georgia Tech had an attendance of 51,112 (93% of our 55K seating capacity). This was #15 GT with RB Tashard Choice vs. #21 BC with QB Matt Ryan so “a game that actually mattered” with Chan Gailey as our HC.

19,601 less people (assume mostly GT fans) attended this year’s BC@GT. If the BC game was a $60 ticket, the GTAA lost $1.2 million in ticket revenue this year as compared to back then.

I was there in 2007 and 2021. How many others were? Only 57% of BDS was filled. Who owns that problem? With 6 other home games (I am excluding UGA) that had weak attendance, it appears that $6-7 million in ticket revenues were “lost” in 2021. That’s not chump change - especially over a 5+ year period!
There’s your buyout right there.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Math - it's our friend. Buyouts suck. The opportunity cost of not doing them at some point brings you to an inflection point. My opinion is that we're there. The UGA game will be really telling. If it's not done this year, a 1-3 or 1-4 start with 20k tickets sold will put the nail in the coffin. Is anyone supremely confident and wants to bet on CGC turning it around ? if you do and you don't hire a DC / HC in waiting then you are looking at a lost season next year anyway. You pay less on the buyout, but you're going to really take a bath on revenue next season. It's why schools pay them, as sickening as they are. IIWII

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I was at both of these games and yes the contrast is pretty shocking. Times have changed for the worse.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Look at the point differential with the loses and you will be surprised. Coaching mistakes, missed FG, blown assignments all count as breaks. Hate CGC as much as you want, but we have been beaten by more that 12 pts only once this year.
... Just saying that the two toughest games of the season are over the course of the next 243 hours ...