Atlanta United News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
O.K. Buddy, it’s time for a preseason prediction. I was a little disappointed in last season. My own fault with lofty expectations. Coaching must have been the difference since we had mostly the same team plus added another Martinez.

What do you think the record will be for 2020? Any chance to repeat 2018?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
O.K. Buddy, it’s time for a preseason prediction. I was a little disappointed in last season. My own fault with lofty expectations. Coaching must have been the difference since we had mostly the same team plus added another Martinez.

Right now i think Atlanta United goes 21-8-5 wins the MLS Eastern Conference and makes it to the Championship Game against the Portland Timbers:):cool::D:smuggrin:

Last edited:

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

Almiron leaving hurt more than Pity Martinez joining the squad helped. Frank de Boer made better use of his talent later in the year, but that was also when the team asked him to change the style of play. I haven't given up on de Boer yet, just not convinced he is the best man for the job. Will have to see how the roster rounds out before predicting anything. Josef Martinez still could get transferred to a European team for big bucks, but it would damage the team's chances.

slugboy

Staff member
Almiron leaving hurt more than Pity Martinez joining the squad helped. Frank de Boer made better use of his talent later in the year, but that was also when the team asked him to change the style of play. I haven't given up on de Boer yet, just not convinced he is the best man for the job. Will have to see how the roster rounds out before predicting anything. Josef Martinez still could get transferred to a European team for big bucks, but it would damage the team's chances.

Pity was a pick for Tata Martino, to get the player he hoped Barco would be in his scheme. Martino leaving left Pity stranded. De Boer uses Barco well, has a problem fitting Pity into his scheme, and ends up with a high $$$$ reserve player.

I agree Miggy was a loss and we haven’t replaced him with anyone comparable

Pity and Barco both are looking at Europe. Josef likes being the star here.

De Boer is getting the midfielders and backs he wants to build a strong defense. This year is his first year to get the players he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It’s amazing in sports how chemistry can be altered when changing a coach or staffs. The same way in adding to the mix or by deleting a player.

Also, the ball and the breaks, don’t bounce the same way or the opponent gets better.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
United beat Birmingham 3-2. Listened to most of the match. Seems like the ones so far in 2020 could have gone either way.

slugboy

Staff member
Last season, Atlanta United had a new coach and new system and the questions were around how they’d adapt to the new system. They started slow and ended up a really good team, but not as good as they could have been, and should have been back in the championship once New York got knocked out.

This year, we’ve had huge roster turnover. The players haven’t played together much, and don’t make the right passes and moves yet. There are several players “who are ready for Europe once they add XYZ to their skill set”, but haven’t added that special something yet. (For Miles Robinson, it’s his passing).

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us start slow and pick up towards the end of the season. NYCFC and Toronto should still be good in the East, and both LA teams look strong in the West.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk