atlanta question

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
tre tipton? he played 7 years. won the disney spirit award. legend. trying to find the loophole to get him 8 seasons!
I looked up tre- thats cool.
Not the clemson guy. Like a bad dream , i try to forget. We woild look like we had clemson in 3 rd and really long and this littlecguy would run around in a loop thru our defenders and here came the ball.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s popular among Tech fans to play the woe is me game. Just ignore them.

Pitt is one of my secondary teams I pull for. A lot of similarities to GT. Glad Narduzzi has it rolling up there. Good luck in the Peach Bowl. I think I’m taking my son to the game.

yeah most fans do. and mostly b/c it 's true!

but yes, there are so many similarities. you're the Pitt of the south. or in you're viewpoint, we're the GT of the north.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
I looked up tre- thats cool.
Not the clemson guy. Like a bad dream , i try to forget. We woild look like we had clemson in 3 rd and really long and this littlecguy would run around in a loop thru our defenders and here came the ball.

yeah we were assaulted by a couple pesky Syracuse QB's for a couple of years. that was long ago, though. we own them so bad and they hate us for it. not sure why, maybe it's the Jim boeheim effect but we love kicking their tails

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
aren't you the reigning ACC BB champions?

giphy.webp

No, have only won Coastal two years in a row and it'll be tough to three peat this year. Hopefully make a run deeper into the NCAAs than usual.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He meant basketball, not baseball. But you reinforce the fact that most of our sports teams are pretty good, even though football is in a down cycle.

Baseball, the forgotten sport. But yup, most are pretty good, at least if you use making NCAAs as a yardstick. From Stansbury Holiday email:
1640361503039.png

And although he didn't mention baseball performance (1 demerit) he did address football directly. Don't know what else he can say. Talk is cheap and all that matters for football is performance now IMHO:
1640361574444.png

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
what's the typical peach bowl attendance? do locals go?

sorry. basketball.

and you guys have no business not contending for the coastal in FB most years.
Goal is to get old in ol and stay old.

Need the admin to grease skids where a few ol can get MBA at gt = one of best in country. Otherwise - the good undergraduate degree which gets a great starting salary burns a hole in their pocket .

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Just kidding. Trying to get baseball follow.

But you guys really need to upgrade that field.
our baseball field? it's in the works. what's wrong with it? honestly, I don't live near Pittsburgh never been to the new field.
Other than being in a city I don’t see it. They aren’t even the best engineering school in Pittsburgh, let alone the state. Even that big state school they hate so much is ranked higher in engineering.

we're a research school first and foremost. not for nothin' but you're looking up at us in those rankings. ;)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
our baseball field? it's in the works. what's wrong with it? honestly, I don't live near Pittsburgh never been to the new field.

Fricking outdated astroturf with weird bounces. Some HS fields had better surfaces.

Maybe the field has been updated since we played there in 2018. (No 2020 games there I think.). But it is hard to have a good grass surface in Pittsburgh in February/March. I spent six months there one winter 40 years ago, memorable.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Fricking outdated astroturf with weird bounces. Some HS fields had better surfaces.

Maybe the field has been updated since we played there in 2018. (No 2020 games there I think.). But it is hard to have a good grass surface in Pittsburgh in February/March. I spent six months there one winter 40 years ago, memorable.

yeah it's a problem for northern schools. I'm admittedly not a baseball expert but I've heard rumblings. our reality is we were the worst p5 athletics department just a few short years ago. that's a fact. our BOT got some new people and a new chancellor who decided to invest in athletics. there's big plan in place to make massive improvements. our wrestling team (finished 10th nationally) and WVB (finished 3rd nationally) play in our old BB gym. it's horrific. doesn't even have A/C. we've come a long way in a short time. our AD was a finalist for AD of the year in 2020.

sadly, our MBB is a disaster. at least our FB team had a great season. will be in ATL in less than 48 hours. very excited as I've never been. so many flight cancellations this week - getting a little scared.

slugboy

Staff member
yeah it's a problem for northern schools. I'm admittedly not a baseball expert but I've heard rumblings. our reality is we were the worst p5 athletics department just a few short years ago. that's a fact. our BOT got some new people and a new chancellor who decided to invest in athletics. there's big plan in place to make massive improvements. our wrestling team (finished 10th nationally) and WVB (finished 3rd nationally) play in our old BB gym. it's horrific. doesn't even have A/C. we've come a long way in a short time. our AD was a finalist for AD of the year in 2020.

sadly, our MBB is a disaster. at least our FB team had a great season. will be in ATL in less than 48 hours. very excited as I've never been. so many flight cancellations this week - getting a little scared.
It’s not a bad drive from western PA. We typically stop around CLT.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Good luck on the flight. I'm in St Paul. Flight scheduled for tonight was cancelled two days ago and 4 hours late (arrive 3:30 AM) last night. Tracking flights today, looks much more normal. Have to hope the flight crews stay healthy and planes don't require too much de-icing. Being -5F here now, I'm looking forward to runnable weather. 5 days of snow is enough for this year.

As to sports, hopefully Pitt will go the way GT has gone and emphasize the "minor" (not FB or MBB) sports more. Still have to work at FB for alumni donations, but there is a lot interesting going on in other sports. It is next to impossible to compete in baseball without really great indoor facilities as a northern school. ND is figuring out how, but they have infinite resources compared to others.

Take care

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Good luck on the flight. I'm in St Paul. Flight scheduled for tonight was cancelled two days ago and 4 hours late (arrive 3:30 AM) last night. Tracking flights today, looks much more normal. Have to hope the flight crews stay healthy and planes don't require too much de-icing. Being -5F here now, I'm looking forward to runnable weather. 5 days of snow is enough for this year.

As to sports, hopefully Pitt will go the way GT has gone and emphasize the "minor" (not FB or MBB) sports more. Still have to work at FB for alumni donations, but there is a lot interesting going on in other sports. It is next to impossible to compete in baseball without really great indoor facilities as a northern school. ND is figuring out how, but they have infinite resources compared to others.

Take care

yeah, man. I'm checking on the flights. all checked in and all is well. fingers crossed.

the olympic sports are so fun. and now we can actually watch them on ACCN/ESPN+ so it's great. our baseball team made great strides recently. like you said, it's so difficult being in the north so I'm not sure how good we ever get. but being competitive in the ACC is a good step.