atlanta question

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Goal is to get old in ol and stay old.

Need the admin to grease skids where a few ol can get MBA at gt = one of best in country. Otherwise - the good undergraduate degree which gets a great starting salary burns a hole in their pocket .
The MBA will be a no-go because the MBA admissions stats are used in rankings, and the Admin cares more about the business school rankings than football.

Instead, create a 1-year MS in Management (which GT had before the MBA). Admission stats won’t count against the Business school rankings and it could actually be finished in 1 year by athletes (30 credits, take 9 the summer before, 9 during the season, 12 in the spring)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Congratulations to your Med school. I think we are the highest ranked without a med school or teaching hospital.
I do find all the work & Research our Bio Engineering program does interesting. Will our partnership with Emory help negate the need for an actual med school to continue GTs ranking improvements?

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I do find all the work & Research our Bio Engineering program does interesting. Will our partnership with Emory help negate the need for an actual med school to continue GTs ranking improvements?

Yeah, the GT BioChemEng + the Emory Med is a real powerhouse. In my senior project one of my partners was a full-time CDC researcher with a Medical Degree coming back to get her ChemE degree. She was working on the early Monoclonal Antibody production processes and wanted to understand chemical engineering to scale it up. I was super impressed. And Monoclonal Antibodies have been a big freaking deal the past...uh...35 years. Zeesh, I'm old.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

I believe that Emory would be listed if they have the contract.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Congratulations to your Med school. I think we are the highest ranked without a med school or teaching hospital.

nice. love to see the ACC schools doing well in academics.

how do you guys feel about a WVU joining the ACC? it's an ongoing conversation we have b/c the historical rivalry and all. but I sort of like that most of the ACC schools are pretty focused on academics. no offense to the big 12 but that's just not seemingly their main focus.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

Our BME program is already #1 in the country, having passed John's Hopkins. It was said we couldn't get past them w/o hospital access. Lo and behold, Emory partnership, and #1.

The stuff going on down there is in the BME program is incredible.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow

GT won't get a medical school as part of the USG. UGA has been fighting for a Med School for decades, but MCG and Augusta politicians have blocked them. Recently, as a compromise, MCG put a campus in Athens which partners with UGA, but it's still not UGA.

For GT to start a medical school, the USG would need to split into a GT system and a UGA system (which many states do, for example Texas has a UT System and a Texas A&M System). Then Tech would need to raise the money to open a medical school, which is very expensive. Then Tech has to figure out how to run a successful medical school with Grady, Northside, Piedmont, and Emory all over Atlanta. Plus, in the above scenario, UGA would open a medical school almost immediately and probably plan the campus in Atlanta like they did with their business school.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
nice. love to see the ACC schools doing well in academics.

how do you guys feel about a WVU joining the ACC? it's an ongoing conversation we have b/c the historical rivalry and all. but I sort of like that most of the ACC schools are pretty focused on academics. no offense to the big 12 but that's just not seemingly their main focus.
I don't think WVU would be let in after the Louisville fiasco.

For those who haven't heard the story, Louisville's application to the ACC presidents committed to investing a significant amount of money into academics and into incubators to increase UofL's prestige. UofL forecasted that they would be a Top 100 program within a decade (which was a red line for the ACC presidents). They were around #155 at the time of application and the worst ranked ACC school at the time was FSU at #100 (going off memory for those, but it's about right).

For background, Louisville has a LOT of money but puts it all in Athletics - they have an NBA quality basketball arena, the best football stadium in the ACC, new volleyball, swimming, rowing, facilities, etc, but their academic buildings are trash. Their library is only 4 floors with 1 floor only classrooms / Starbucks and one floor is empty. Their research labs look like dorm rooms with students packed in using antiquated equipment. Despite being in a pretty major city, they have very little research and community involvement happening. The only money they actually put into academics are when the city pays for something, like the Speed Museum.

Anyway, the Louisville administration made those promises but they didn't initially follow through. In response, the ACC presidents sent "advisors" from other universities in the conference to create a plan for Louisville. The group created a very sound plan, which Louisville promptly ignored. Louisville is now ranked #174 and the second worst ranked ACC School is NC State at #80.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
GT won't get a medical school as part of the USG. UGA has been fighting for a Med School for decades, but MCG and Augusta politicians have blocked them. Recently, as a compromise, MCG put a campus in Athens which partners with UGA, but it's still not UGA.

For GT to start a medical school, the USG would need to split into a GT system and a UGA system (which many states do, for example Texas has a UT System and a Texas A&M System). Then Tech would need to raise the money to open a medical school, which is very expensive. Then Tech has to figure out how to run a successful medical school with Grady, Northside, Piedmont, and Emory all over Atlanta. Plus, in the above scenario, UGA would open a medical school almost immediately and probably plan the campus in Atlanta like they did with their business school.
The beauty of the situation is I dont think Tech needs a medical school. With Emory we can have our cake and we get to eat it too. Plus we are close to the CDC and the health care startup scene in Atlanta is booming.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our BME program is already #1 in the country, having passed John's Hopkins. It was said we couldn't get past them w/o hospital access. Lo and behold, Emory partnership, and #1.

The board of regents added a engr program at uga.
The 2020 Butkus award went to a BME at Uga Athens
As per the BOR Gt is a Research University. We cannot have any majors that are not supportive of advance research. The courses are taught by elite researchers to elite students. The researchers develope technologies by obtaining grants and awards for gt. These monies dwarf the monies associated undergraduate program.
Graduate students at gt come from many universities and really large $ from foreign countries.

Sportsmanagent

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
The beauty of the situation is I dont think Tech needs a medical school. With Emory we can have our cake and we get to eat it too. Plus we are close to the CDC and the health care startup scene in Atlanta is booming.
It depends on the goal. If it’s to be a top research university, then Tech is fine. If it’s to be a top ranked university on the USNWR rankings and to bring in as much money as possible, then Tech needs a medical school. Tech is basically capped on ranking without a top Medical Program or going private (and driving down acceptance rates).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It depends on the goal. If it’s to be a top research university, then Tech is fine. If it’s to be a top ranked university on the USNWR rankings and to bring in as much money as possible, then Tech needs a medical school. Tech is basically capped on ranking without a top Medical Program or going private (and driving down acceptance rates).

Going private is my vote. But will never happen.

We have to be top 10 in research money with GTRI. Anyone know the facts?

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Going private is my vote. But will never happen.

We have to be top 10 in research money with GTRI. Anyone know the facts?
We’re #2 when you exclude med schools. Behind Johns Hopkins and their defense research.

Going private wouldn’t be too difficult since the foundation owns most buildings and land. But the State would never allow it.

Why? 70% of the money Tech brings in in tuition goes to fund other schools in the USG. When you pay $40,000 in tuition for your kids, $28,000 of that goes to Fort Valley State and Clayton State to reduce the cost of attendance for their students. $12,000 goes to GT and their education.

In fact, GT sends out more than it receives back from the State of Georgia. It’s the only school in the State to do that.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We’re #2 when you exclude med schools. Behind Johns Hopkins and their defense research.

Going private wouldn’t be too difficult since the foundation owns most buildings and land. But the State would never allow it.

Why? 70% of the money Tech brings in in tuition goes to fund other schools in the USG. When you pay $40,000 in tuition for your kids, $28,000 of that goes to Fort Valley State and Clayton State to reduce the cost of attendance for their students. $12,000 goes to GT and their education.

In fact, GT sends out more than it receives back from the State of Georgia. It’s the only school in the State to do that.
It also has the highest cost/student to educate their undergraduates.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Good luck on the flight. I'm in St Paul. Flight scheduled for tonight was cancelled two days ago and 4 hours late (arrive 3:30 AM) last night. Tracking flights today, looks much more normal. Have to hope the flight crews stay healthy and planes don't require too much de-icing. Being -5F here now, I'm looking forward to runnable weather. 5 days of snow is enough for this year.

As to sports, hopefully Pitt will go the way GT has gone and emphasize the "minor" (not FB or MBB) sports more. Still have to work at FB for alumni donations, but there is a lot interesting going on in other sports. It is next to impossible to compete in baseball without really great indoor facilities as a northern school. ND is figuring out how, but they have infinite resources compared to others.

Take care

my wife went to Hopkins. but they're a bunch of aholes. hopefully you catch them!