Athlon: ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2020

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
ACCN reaired the Miami game from last year the other night. Watched a little bit before it got too late.
Early in the game, Graham goes to throw a quick route. The line - every one of them - cut the defender in front of them.

I don't know, but I think that offensive linemen in most offenses are taught to cut block on quick passing plays, especially slants, to get defensive linemen to lower their hands to defeat the cut block which gives the quarterback a better throwing lane. Others more knowledgeable may disagree.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Tashard is a stud man, no two ways about it. I have told this story on here before but when I was at GT we had a class together and were pretty friendly.

I missed a class and so the next session asked if I could borrow his notes. They were on point, and better than the ones I took. Stand up dude who approached everything on and off the field with intentional preparation.

Tashard always took care of his business. Nothing has changed now that he is a coach. I would have expected nothing less.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My original point was that GT has suffered a long time from lack of top tier QB play. And our RB’s have been spotty as well. In my time as a teenager (mid 1980’s) to now the three best RB’s I’ve seen were Dwyer, Bell, and Mays. All three were consistent, strong, and fast. Mills coulda, woulda, shoulda. I walked out of Jacksonville after watching him run all the SEC and thought we were set. Boy was I wrong. WR’s it’s Calvin and Bebe. Smelter could have been a stud but never dedicated full time until the end. Hill had all the talent in the world but didn’t figure it out in college. Dez White was fun to watch like those guys from the title team. QB it’s been Shawn, Joe, Goose, Nesbitt, and Thomas with only Joe being at the elite level. Collins is bringing in talent where we’ll start hitting on elite guys again. Gibbs could be that guy at RB. But we need our RG3/Cam/Vince/Vick/Joe Ham who can carry a team on his back. I believe Collins recruiting skills will pay off. Could Sims be that guy?

I read somewhere that Sims has been a force in practice thus far. I wonder why Norvell (spelling?) did not want to sign him? He grew up an FSU fan and was all set to sign and the Coach says no. Not that I am complaining mind you.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have a buddy who is pretty connected at FSU. FSU is about 70 miles from my house. The word is that the new staff didn’t like his accuracy. He also said they were very honest with him and were up from front with him instead of lying to him just to keep him around. So it simply sounds like a coaches evaluation deal and then Sims decided to move on. I respect a coach who is honest so a kid can move on. Hopefully it was a bad evaluation that will haunt them in a few weeks.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have a buddy who is pretty connected at FSU. FSU is about 70 miles from my house. The word is that the new staff didn’t like his accuracy. He also said they were very honest with him and were up from front with him instead of lying to him just to keep him around. So it simply sounds like a coaches evaluation deal and then Sims decided to move on. I respect a coach who is honest so a kid can move on. Hopefully it was a bad evaluation that will haunt them in a few weeks.

Makes sense. Accuracy seems to be a problem with all of Tech's quarterbacks but that what happens when your offensive line was ranked number 130 in the nation last year. The old "Chuck and Duck" offense was on full display.