Athlon: ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously (2022)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
When the other coaches are laughing at you, you're a laughingstock.
Then again, I didn't expect to see anything different from our opposing coaches.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don't usually put any stock in this stuff, but it can be interesting to read for the moment. The comments under BC about what Tech should've done were interesting, as well as Tech not being a developmental program and calling out Collins on his recruiting being as bad as under CPJ.

And somehow, through all his recruiting and roster management, the cupboard is still bare? Has anyone checked to see if there is a hole in the back of the cupboard, or if all the dishes are just being left in the dishwasher?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You can tell the 2 big things CGC made a big deal about (recruiting, and developing) when he first came to GT is now being used against him.

"They've recruited a bunch of guys that other staffs think are overrated. That's fine, you have differences in evaluations, but they aren't a development program either."

"The failure here has been recruiting. It's been the exact thing he made such a big deal about in the first place, recruiting Atlanta talent to stay in Atlanta. They're as much of a non-factor on legit talent now as they were under Paul Johnson."

Oh well...either the team improves, or he's out. I'm glad other coaches are confirming what most of us feel about Chip Long...he's legit. Hopefully Long can work some magic and make our offense respectable.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
One that irks me is that when we lose the people on the worst secondary that it gets even worse idk about that one.

slugboy

Staff member
The other “reviews” are interesting too. Potshots weren’t just in our section, but I think we were the only school to get potshots in the other schools’ sections too.

Harsh review of our secondary. Harsh overall.

Chip Long was the closest to getting half of a compliment that we got.

I’ll add
  • Coaches respect Clemson, but they’re not scared
  • They are looking over their shoulder at Miami
  • They think our job is open after this year
  • They also think Louisville will be too
  • If we weren’t their whipping target, VT would be
  • They think Syracuse could be good if they didn’t sabotage themselves
  • They respect BC and Wake, as in “they’ll be a handful”

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is not an objective review of any program. It’s clickbait hot takes that are crafted by schools pitching against other schools.

We talk about being a 5 star development program so they trash us there.

We have our problems, but Redding too deeply into this kind of article is a recipe for self-induced heartburn

Don’t give in to the ❤️‍🔥

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
"Every good player on defense is gone or in the portal. The best player they've recruited is going to be starting at Alabama."

That sounds right to me - we lost some defensive guys upfront that weren't bad and so sad along with one of the most talented RBs we have had. Charlie Thomas we need you and thank you for staying. Maybe the new guys wil surprise.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand. If all we have done is recruit overrated talent, why is it that our overrated talent is transferring to start at Alabama, Ole Miss, and so on...

I do agree with the BC section rant about what Tech should have done though.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that they feel Duke has found a scheme that fits their program and believe it could lead them out of the darkness by the end of the year.

Implied Tech’s defense will be worse this year. 😞

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see anything I think was wrong. Maybe a little too much credit to an unproven Miami but the rest of the comments seem very fair.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
“One of the worst secondarys I’ve ever seen…”

A bit mystifying how that happened considering that was CGC’s forte coming in, and it’s where we accumulated some 4 star talent.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand. If all we have done is recruit overrated talent, why is it that our overrated talent is transferring to start at Alabama, Ole Miss, and so on...

I do agree with the BC section rant about what Tech should have done though.
No, our properly rated talent has bailed.
The overrated guys have stayed.
That's the gist of that statement.