Athletic Programs Limited by Debt

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With Mark Teixteira's help, we'll get more planned upgrades to Rusty C done. That's my hope.

The debt is backed by pledges which I would think are known to be legit. I'm not worried about the GT debt and donors; there are a lot of older GT grads with lots of money and wanting it to be used to support the things that helped them ..... no one who has succeeded in this country should think it's all on them. We have all been helped by others and the country / political system we are lucky enough to be in.

eg1

Georgia Tech Fan
The number of people who actually understand how sovereign debt operates is vanishingly small. (was trying to quote skeptic's post above)

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Steps to financial health:
  1. Georgia Tech grad or drop-out invents life-changing technology
  2. He sells the IP or goes public to become a billionaire
  3. He donates $100 million to GTAA

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Steps to financial health:
  1. Georgia Tech grad or drop-out invents life-changing technology
  2. He sells the IP or goes public to become a billionaire
  3. He donates $100 million to GTAA
Maybe your life-changing technology is changing all eye glass graduation to rose colored. But keep thinking.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe your life-changing technology is changing all eye glass graduation to rose colored. But keep thinking.

What's your suggestion? A large percentage Tech alums to give regularly to the Athletic Association, buy season tickets, and fill-up Bobby Dodd and McCamish? Talk about rose-colored glasses... </sarcasm>

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What's your suggestion? A large percentage Tech alums to give regularly to the Athletic Association, buy season tickets, and fill-up Bobby Dodd and McCamish? Talk about rose-colored glasses... </sarcasm>
You misapprehend. I am just thinking your scenario is much like mine: hit the super lotto lottery for a billion bucks. Which would be hard to do since I don't buy lottery tickets, and I think you kind of have to.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
You misapprehend. I am just thinking your scenario is much like mine: hit the super lotto lottery for a billion bucks. Which would be hard to do since I don't buy lottery tickets, and I think you kind of have to.

Got it. Tone can be hard to interpret online.

I have the lottery dream too and occasionally buy a ticket. My classes in statistics tell me that I'll never win and my classes in economics tell me that I place utility in the lottery fantasy.

I'd love to give Tech so much money that Stansbury felt like I was his true boss!

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
It's interesting that TX, Oregon, A&M and Michigan are on this list. Those 4 programs have been and are historically among the highest revenue producing schools in college football.
Those teams have massive endowments that could probably pay the debt off in one shot.

However, when you're averaging 5-10% returns on your endowment but are able to raise debt at 1-2% only an idiot financial manager would choose to spend the money on hand instead of using the basically free money they are getting instead.