Athletic Director's Update

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the letter, but it's a little disingenuous when you see who we've played so far this year. We are on par or have better resources than 3 of the 4 teams we played so far. I'm not sure how we compare to Pitt, but we have MUCH better resources than USF. Not an excuse for this season so far IMO.

Deleted member 2897

Its a shame he has to pen a letter like that to grown adults to teach them how to fan, but I'm glad he did. Hopefully it will help some people step back and take a second to analyze their behavior. And before anybody says it, no I'm not talking about behavior on here where people complain about the coach, systems, execution, etc. I'm talking about the people who are sending harassing emails to players and staff and who are posting on the players and staffs social media all kinds of negative and berating commentary.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Beautifully crafted letter. People who don’t have any depth of knowledge about what they’re looking at, or who don’t care to really look, will tend to focus on the most salient feature. In CPJs case, that feature is his offense. The “logic” is whatever is noticeably different must be the problem. The offense we run is not the problem, regardless of what our local sports radio “personalities” have to say—they don’t even watch our games. CPJ’s offense has generally been one of our most productive units of the last 20+ years. I’d put it up against Tenuta’s defense and in the same ball park as Freigen’s offense. Lately, the offense has not been great. The man himself has admitted that repeatedly. But looking at the entire body of work, I don’t see how a rational person can blame his system.

In general I agree with this, but the offense has been pretty bad the past two weeks with a boatload of seniors on he field. That is very concerning. The coaches are not getting through for some reason, so it really doesn’t matter what we are running, we’d probably be running it poorly.

Now I will say that we looked good at USF Afro most of the game...but he first half against Pitt and pretty much the whole game against Clemson we looked awful...and not just awful against a better team, but awful like we didn’t know how to execute the plays.

Gotta get fixed...BGU showed up at a perfect time. Need to work on some things...starters should probably never come out of this game.

Deleted member 2897

In general I agree with this, but the offense has been pretty bad the past two weeks with a boatload of seniors on he field. That is very concerning. The coaches are not getting through for some reason, so it really doesn’t matter what we are running, we’d probably be running it poorly.

Now I will say that we looked good at USF Afro most of the game...but he first half against Pitt and pretty much the whole game against Clemson we looked awful...and not just awful against a better team, but awful like we didn’t know how to execute the plays.

Gotta get fixed...BGU showed up at a perfect time. Need to work on some things...starters should probably never come out of this game.

Again, I don't think Todd or me or anybody else expects fans to not be frustrated, angry, disappointed...fill in the blank. But it doesn't excuse the ridiculous behavior of some people towards our staff and players.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
USF and lots of other AAC schools build talent through transfers which is something we can't really do. You don't need a big recruiting staff if you build a team that way because you don't have to pitch them starting from their freshmen year of HS. There is a reason non-P5 schools do it that way, you get a much higher ROI. Their QB was the #1 Pro Style JUCO QB on 247 and a top 5 ranked JUCO player in the entire country.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree that this year’s offense has been very disappointing. It’s pretty clear to me that we have a QB problem that explains most of the “awful” that we saw Saturday. I don’t think you can pin that recruiting either. I count 4 QBs that were successfully recruited but aren’t currently available (Johnson, Jones, Jordan, Ratliff). I’d take my chances on any of them at this point.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
But looking at the entire body of work, I don’t see how a rational person can blame his system.

My problem is not looking back. We have done more with less for years and those responsible should get all the credit for doing that. My anxiety comes from projecting forward what we can do with the resources, players and system we run now. It doe snot look good, especially with rule changes that have happened.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Again, I don't think Todd or me or anybody else expects fans to not be frustrated, angry, disappointed...fill in the blank. But it doesn't excuse the ridiculous behavior of some people towards our staff and players.
Well yeah, some people are idiots. But that’s what happens in this day and age. It sucks, but the internet allows people to hide behind their device and announce whatever they want to the world. Complaining about it is just a wasted effort. Best thing to do is not read the stuff.

You guys think someone walks up to Taquon and says some of this BS to his face? I doubt it...and it might not turn out to well for them if they did.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree that this year’s offense has been very disappointing. It’s pretty clear to me that we have a QB problem that explains most of the “awful” that we saw Saturday. I don’t think you can pin that recruiting either. I count 4 QBs that were successfully recruited but aren’t currently available (Johnson, Jones, Jordan, Ratliff). I’d take my chances on any of them at this point.
He hasn’t been playing well for sure, but neither has the O line, A backs, or receivers. They all have looked bad. Taquon in particular seems tentative, and he appears to be hurt all the time.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I buy season Tickets and will continue.....I support the fundraising as much as I can and will continue.....am worried about our program.....if this is what we need to do we need to do it....quite frankly it doesn't matter who the coach is if we want a championship caliber program able to punch it out with Clemson and uga and this is what we need to to do and Todds vision is correct Coaches will want to be here....simple folks Todd is saying show me the money!!!! give what you can.....that little farm school up the way that beat the crap out of us Started with IPTAY....can you send ten a month and even 20 or more it all counts...

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
He hasn’t been playing well for sure, but neither has the O line, A backs, or receivers. They all have looked bad. Taquon in particular seems tentative, and he appears to be hurt all the time.
None of them play in a vacuum, but I haven’t noticed anyone else playing particularly badly. We had a hard time pass protecting against Clemson, but so does everyone. Plus because we can’t run our base stuff consistently, they had us out of our comfort zone.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
None of them play in a vacuum, but I haven’t noticed anyone else playing particularly badly. We had a hard time pass protecting against Clemson, but so does everyone. Plus because we can’t run our base stuff consistently, they had us out of our comfort zone.
The A back pitch relationships have been awful

MidtownJacket

Staff member
maybe my favorite section of the letter:

"Coach Johnson is a fighter and he has proven time and again that he can mold a group of young men that can fight above their weight class. I am confident that he and his team have a lot of fight left in them, to go along with a lot of ability and a lot of football still left to play.

However, as a Georgia Tech football letterwinner, alum and athletics director, I’m also frustrated by always having to fight above our weight class. We can all see how hard it is to do on a year-in and year-out basis. I need all of our Georgia Tech Family to rally together behind this team and our athletics program, as well as decide if we’re all willing to do what’s necessary to put us in the same weight class as those we compete against on a regular basis
."

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Nice message, but it really doesn’t address the current dumpster fire. Only our current coaches and players can resolve to work harder, to play smarter and to win the games remaining in this season. Millions for future facilities and staffing might, I say, move our recruiting needle a little, but our team today has what it has and must make do. Our current team eats nutritious food, works out in a nice weight room, dresses in a good dressing room, receives quality medical care, practices in an air conditioned, enclosed building. I hope TStan’s message was just to say, I hear the grumbling...

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Quit talking about USF and Pitt. TStan is talking about Clemson, Miami, and Ugag when he refers to fighting above our weight class. He is right on point with this letter. Use your passion to support our program.

I will be at the BG game Saturday, and the rest of the home games this year.

I'll be there too, just like every home game this year. I'm just saying the reason we are 1-3 is not because of a lack of resources. Of course if we had better resources we would probably have a better record, BUT that is not the reason we lost to USF and Pitt, it's not like they have great resources. That's all I'm saying.