Athletic Dept asked band not to play on 3rd down

daculajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I noticed when GASO had the ball in the redzone, facing the band, the band did not play the third down song. For 1st & 2nd down, the band played and their QB could not communicate with the OL. On 3rd down, it was very quiet. Notably, on 1st & 2nd down, GASO could not move the ball. On their quiet 3rd down, they scored.

I asked a band member why they didn't play and he said the Athletic Dept asked them NOT TO PLAY on 3rd down, because the band was playing over the PA and distracting from their cool graphics.

Seriously? Basically, we can chalk up that TD to the Athletic Dept and their pathetic scoreboard & PA system.

We do not fill up the stadium and we silence the 350+ person band, so that we can... wait for it... play PA music & display some cool graphics on the scoreboard.

If you'd rather have piped in music or maybe just have the scoreboard flicker "Louder! Louder!" while a team on the other end of the field stuffs it down our throat, well, sit back and enjoy.

If you don't want this, let them know.

I noticed when GASO had the ball in the redzone, facing the band, the band did not play the third down song. For 1st & 2nd down, the band played and their QB could not communicate with the OL. On 3rd down, it was very quiet. Notably, on 1st & 2nd down, GASO could not move the ball. On their quiet 3rd down, they scored.

I asked a band member why they didn't play and he said the Athletic Dept asked them NOT TO PLAY on 3rd down, because the band was playing over the PA and distracting from their cool graphics.

Seriously? Basically, we can chalk up that TD to the Athletic Dept and their pathetic scoreboard & PA system.

We do not fill up the stadium and we silence the 350+ person band, so that we can... wait for it... play PA music & display some cool graphics on the scoreboard.

If you'd rather have piped in music or maybe just have the scoreboard flicker "Louder! Louder!" while a team on the other end of the field stuffs it down our throat, well, sit back and enjoy.

From what you said, it's not clear whose Athletic Dept asked them not to play. It sounds like Southern said that. although you assumed (rightly or wrongly) that ours did. If their QB could not communicate on 1st and 2nd downs, then why would Tech want to silence them on 3rd down? I would think we would want them to continue playing. Not saying you are wrong, but ......

daculajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
From what you said, it's not clear whose Athletic Dept asked them not to play. It sounds like Southern said that. although you assumed (rightly or wrongly) that ours did. If their QB could not communicate on 1st and 2nd downs, then why would Tech want to silence them on 3rd down? I would think we would want them to continue playing. Not saying you are wrong, but ......
GTAA asked the band not to play on 3rd down because the band's 3rd down song was playing over the PA and the graphics the GTAA had put up on the scoreboard.

Today, I believe, it cost us a touchdown.

daculajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
They still could have scored regardless of the band playing on third down or not.
Perhaps.

Would you rather have the band playing on 3rd down or some cool graphics flashing on the scoreboard and some piped in music?

Or maybe, we could coordinate the traditional 3rd down music with the cool graphics?

GTAA asked the band not to play on 3rd down because the band's 3rd down song was playing over the PA and the graphics the GTAA had put up on the scoreboard.

Don't know what effect it might have had, but it's stupid for them to do that. Let the band play continuously if they want to, as long as it doesn't disrupt us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Or, we could have a D that didn't need the band to stop a G5 team

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
The band played it's 3rd down song plenty of times during the game yesterday. It is starting to make my skin crawl because we hear it so often. Ironically, during the Clemson game I got a text from a friend that was watching (not GT fan) that half-joked we stop playing the 3rd down song since it seemed to be helping Clemson.

I asked a band member why they didn't play and he said the Athletic Dept asked them NOT TO PLAY on 3rd down, because the band was playing over the PA and distracting from their cool graphics

Not sure how this even remotely makes sense. I'd chalk this up to a story that got passed on from person to person then got a little twisted along the way.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe the fans could show up to the game and actually make some noise. We shouldn't rely on the band to make it for us. I was screaming my lungs out with my two little ones. My son heeded the call and even had Southern fans shaking their heads at us. Paying for it today though. People need to realize we have a part in winning home games too. The players and coaches have eluded to that many times.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think GTAA would mandate this on every 3rd down. The band may need to clarify. There are a few 3rd downs every game that the players are on video trying to get the crowd to make noise and requested music played on loud speakers. The band should play as loud as they can on the other 3rd downs.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We were told not to play chords on 3rd downs in the second half because the GTAA wanted to do something with the video board. That's all I know. A lot of us were disappointed with how quiet it was in the absence of chords.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I watched the replay of that series. On first and second down, they did play. However, they were not playing during the time that the QB was communicating with the OL. They stopped at about the time that the ref set the play. (First down was set because of a first down, second down the play clock was set because of a replay.) There is an NCAA rule that prohibits the band from playing in such a way as to disrupt the play. Most schools have guidelines that call for the band to stop playing when the opposing team breaks the huddle, or when the center is over the ball if the team is a no huddle team. If the band disrupts communications, it is a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and an automatic first down.

From what you have said, I would presume that there probably was communication to the band about playing when GA Southern was close to them. However, I believe that the football team would ask that, not to show fancy graphics, but to keep a failed third and goal from turning into a first and goal. Since Ga Southern is a no huddle team, I can understand making such a request. I could also imagine that the Ga Southern staff brought the issue up to the refs, who would have brought the issue up to the GT staff, who would have made efforts to ensure that the band was aware of the issue. IF such a sequence occurred, I am certain that not every member of the band would have heard or understood the reasons for the request. So, you getting information from some random band member does not mean that you got the correct information.

cheesewoot

Georgia Tech Fan
As a member of the band I feel that I can comment on this situation. Basically, Marketing asked us not to play on any defensive 3rd downs in the second half of the game. They wanted to try and do their own thing with the video board and the PA. It had nothing to do with any NCAA rules issues. However, they never seemed to get it working and when it did work, I don't believe it hyped up the fans or the team at all.

On that note if you didn't like the absence of chords on third down (or even if you did), please email GTAA and Marketing and let them know what you think. They are our bosses and we can't play if they don't want us to. Feedback from fans can really influence their decisions.

sweeper

Georgia Tech Fan
Can the band really help or hurt? Remember the apparent effect the ND band had on our offense at South Bend last year? They played basically until the ball was snapped on every one of our offensive plays. It seemed to contribute significantly to the difficulty getting our plays called. Damn cheating Catholics...

Maybe marketing should have s promotion where they give out those Vuvuzelas with a GT logo on the side. If FIFA banned them from soccer stadiums, they should be perfect for us.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We were told not to play chords on 3rd downs in the second half because the GTAA wanted to do something with the video board. That's all I know. A lot of us were disappointed with how quiet it was in the absence of chords.

That is ****ing ridiculous and goes back to the post i made weeks ago about the gtaa being clueless and ruining the environment with their dumb video board. Its awful during timeouts now they are doing it during the game.

The gtaa needs to wake the **** up

Do not touch the ability of the band play. If we want to see canned commercials we can stay home.

They are so clueless there its not escapable. Its why I quit helping them.

People there have never had a real job. They dont get it. College athletics is a job and career I get it. But they do things that make no real world sense alot

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
As a member of the band I feel that I can comment on this situation. Basically, Marketing asked us not to play on any defensive 3rd downs in the second half of the game. They wanted to try and do their own thing with the video board and the PA. It had nothing to do with any NCAA rules issues. However, they never seemed to get it working and when it did work, I don't believe it hyped up the fans or the team at all.

On that note if you didn't like the absence of chords on third down (or even if you did), please email GTAA and Marketing and let them know what you think. They are our bosses and we can't play if they don't want us to. Feedback from fans can really influence their decisions.

Thanks for posting. I still do not buy that explanation. Did YOU specifically talk to someone from GTAA and hear this? If you did, who was the GTAA marketing person that you spoke with? Your understanding is exactly what I would expect the band members to have in the scenario that I posted. An athletic department representative tells a band representative: "The band cannot play on third down, we are going to try to make up for it with the video board." The drum major understands from the band representative: "They don't want us to play on third down, they are going to try something with the video board." The band members understand from the drum major: "They don't want us to play on third down, so they can try something new with the video board."

Also, the only thing that I saw them doing on the video board were the same dB meters and get loud statements that they have been doing for several years on critical plays. IF the marketing department wanted to try something new, it would either have been something to promote the football team or show a sponsor. They didn't do either, so marketing trying something makes no sense.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
That is ****ing ridiculous and goes back to the post i made weeks ago about the gtaa being clueless and ruining the environment with their dumb video board. Its awful during timeouts now they are doing it during the game.

The gtaa needs to wake the **** up

Do not touch the ability of the band play. If we want to see canned commercials we can stay home.

They are so clueless there its not escapable. Its why I quit helping them.

People there have never had a real job. They dont get it. College athletics is a job and career I get it. But they do things that make no real world sense alot
This +10000

A few games ago the "Bongo Cam" came out and I thought that GT was hitting rock bottom with the video board.