Athlete majors (spin-off thread)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My daughter had a "advanced degree" and it still took her 8 years after graduation. "nicht wahr" yourself. Economics trumps estimates, census, and just about anything else. You have not refuted my basic premise that college degrees are overpriced and WAY too many people are pursuing degrees of doubtful value.
You didn't say that. If so, then I'm surprised it took so long for her to find something like the job with the opera. I'd guess this was just bad luck; I had similar problems dues to that early on. Doesn't make it any easier for either of you to swallow, of course.

As for the rest, I didn't give the URL to refute that part, but to show that things are usually not as bad as you made them out to be. You won't find a stronger advocate here for lowering tuition (or, at least, stabilizing it) and for young people studying what will bring them a decent living in the future. But remember that all the good counsel in the world won't stop a student with strong religious convictions from studying religion, despite the truly abysmal employment prospects in the field (see What It's Worth on that). Not supporting religion studies because it won't provide a steady income won't stop the convictions from arising. And it makes a lot more sense to give responsibility for religious guidance - which people won't stop seeking - into the hands of people who know something about religion.

So lower the costs, yes, but we have to be very careful how we structure education when we really don't have a clear idea of what kind of education we'll need in the future.

Deleted member 2897

North Avenue Trade School. Top 3 ROI in the country. Make 50% more than cesspool graduates at every point in your career.

It’s important to be happy though, so do what makes you happy. Having money isn’t everything. But no point in spending $150k on college for a career that pays $40k.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
In my home state the Right argues for vocational training, that not every student or for that matter many of them require intellectual stimulation and opposes liberal arts. Make the decision for them, get 'em a job. The Left argues for liberal arts and the university model: a rounded education in the humanities and arts, exploration of the mind and preparation in learning how to learn.
Not all students are geared for college. I agree there should be vocational options in HS for students who can find skills and employment and grow those skills after HS.