at Duke, Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok. 9th of 10 ACC series this weekend. At DBAP. Duke is 1st in the division & 2nd overall in ACC.

Will take a pretty significant departure from the pattern established over the first 48 games & 8 conference series to win the series. Ga Tech is 3-9 on the road in the conference.

Crazier things have happened in sports.

Go JACKETS!!!

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok. 9th of 10 ACC series this weekend. At DBAP. Duke is 1st in the division & 2nd overall in ACC.

Will take a pretty significant departure from the pattern established over the first 48 games & 8 conference series to win the series. Ga Tech is 3-9 on the road in the conference.

Crazier things have happened in sports.

Go JACKETS!!!
Pretty sure the game is a Duke’s field on campus. Duke hasn’t been using DBAP this season for home games. Schedule denotes “Durham.” Watching some of their games this year they have played on their campus field, which has extremely limited seating.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the game is a Duke’s field on campus. Duke hasn’t been using DBAP this season for home games. Schedule denotes “Durham.” Watching some of their games this year they have played on their campus field, which has extremely limited seating.
Thank you. I'll admit I didn't even look. Just assumed.

ETA... Duke's schedule says this.
Screenshot_20230511_170231.jpg

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A GT baseball Poem:

When you have to score
Eight runs or more
Top win a Game
Your season Ends
Early

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Games all look playable with weather. Good thing the Sat game is @1300.

On pixels, we should win o or 1. Batting GT is 2nd, Duke 10th in ACC. Pitching Duke 2nd, GT 13th. Fielding Duke 3rd and GT 12th.

On the road we are 4-13 and Duke @ home is 23-9.

We are realistically only playing to get into the ACC tourney which is sad.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
If we're playing for the conference tourney, let's look at what needs to happen. We have to finish above two teams, and there are four likely candidates. Here's how it stands and who plays whom.

GT (10-14) - @Duke, vs UVA
NCSU (10-14) - @UNC, vs Pitt (already lost game 1 @ UNC. They had one cancelled game earlier this year)
Pitt (9-13) - vs Miami, @NCSU (we hold the tiebreaker, but they had two cancelled vs UNC earlier)
Lville (9-15) - @UVA, vs FSU (FSU and Lville playing each other hurts us, I guess pull for FSU there)
FSU (6-18) - vs Wake, @ Lville (will likely take a beating vs Wake, pull for an upset @Lville)

I don't know that 2-4 gets us there, but with a lot of these teams playing each other, it just might. 3-3 would be better.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we're playing for the conference tourney, let's look at what needs to happen. We have to finish above two teams, and there are four likely candidates. Here's how it stands and who plays whom.

NCSU (10-14) - @UNC, vs Pitt (already lost game 1 @ UNC. They had one cancelled game earlier this year)
Pitt (9-13) - vs Miami, @NCSU (we hold the tiebreaker, but they had two cancelled vs UNC earlier)
Lville (9-15) - @UVA, vs FSU (FSU and Lville playing each other hurts us, I guess pull for FSU there)
FSU (6-18) - vs Wake, @ Lville (will likely take a beating vs Wake, pull for an upset @Lville)

I don't know that 2-4 gets us there, but with a lot of these teams playing each other, it just might. 3-3 would be better.
NC State and Pitt finishing against each other is good for us. Only one of those teams can win 2 or more in that final weekend. Meaning the other will can't do better than 1 win. And it's shaping up that we only need to finish ahead of one of Pitt or NC State.

I'm assuming FSU is locked into being locked out of the tournament.

And yes.. the tiebreaker with Pitt will not come into play. UNLESS... we end up playing 2 fewer games than them over these final 6 AND end up with the same record. Miniscule odds that occurs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sure looks like this year's team is not going anywhere post season. I would not be surprised to see us get swept this weekend. A disappointing season this year. I really expected this team to be better.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure looks like this year's team is not going anywhere post season. I would not be surprised to see us get swept this weekend. A disappointing season this year. I really expected this team to be better.
Curious what made you think the team would be better given the fact that we lost 6 position players (plus our DH) and our entire weekend starting rotation. Most teams would struggle with that. Add to that we have been plagued by so many injuries to both the fielders and pitchers I don't think we have been able to field an entire starting lineup since day 1. Sure we all hoped we could do better but I'm not sure any team in the league or the nation for that matter could overcome that. And despite all of that we still have one of the best hitting teams in the country. Of course the pitching isn't what we had hoped but then again we have been dealing with major injuries to key players there all year. I am actually proud of how hard they have battled. They haven't given up despite everything that has happened to them.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Curious what made you think the team would be better given the fact that we lost 6 position players (plus our DH) and our entire weekend starting rotation. Most teams would struggle with that. Add to that we have been plagued by so many injuries to both the fielders and pitchers I don't think we have been able to field an entire starting lineup since day 1. Sure we all hoped we could do better but I'm not sure any team in the league or the nation for that matter could overcome that. And despite all of that we still have one of the best hitting teams in the country. Of course the pitching isn't what we had hoped but then again we have been dealing with major injuries to key players there all year. I am actually proud of how hard they have battled. They haven't given up despite everything that has happened to them.

I see your overall point but that‘s what makes last year even more frustrating to me.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Jackets get the dub, and the four teams beneath us take the L. Insurance for the tournament berth.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, looking at box score, it was a great win and a typical game when we are hitting.

We come out T1 and get 4 runs with two outs. Then give up single, walk, single before an out. That's one run, a WP puts man on third who is sacrificed home. Then two outs. Typical to start off strong hitting and pitching rough.

Later we give up an unearned run, Duke no errors. Typical.

Our 3 HRs were the difference and hard to defend against. Duke leaves 9 on and we leave 6 on. We bat .257 and Duke bats .278. Typical power, atypical low BA.

Take the win and run.

Busse with 20 pitches in 1.0 should be able to go 1.0 on Sunday? We used our best reliever King with 40 pitches in 2.0 who probably can't go again? (Or shouldn't go again as he wouldn't be as effective as fresh?) But using our best to get the Friday win when a win was available made a lot of sense rather than saving them.

All other ACC teams below 500 lost last night. L'Ville having lost 5 in a row is something else. While I'm not a Miami fan, I like us taking Duke out of first more! Note that if we don't lose again this season, we win the CWS. Note that if we don't win again this year, we probably don't go to the ACC tourney. If we win 5 of the last 6, we'd finish with 32 RPI.
1683962179441.png

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Finateri getting the start for us. He's been good for us recently, but in short spurts. We'll be lucky to get 5 innings.

Duke is starting a freshman, Healy today. Low ERA, but recently transitioned from midweek.

Performed well against UVA, but Longwood beat him up pretty badly last weekend. Seems like if we strike early again we can get in his head. Let's take advantage of his lack of experience.