Article on Greg Maddux on ESPN

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42689/fans-dont-show-greg-maddux-respect

Summary: According to a SportsNation poll, only 70 percent of the 33,000 voters thought he was a Hall of Famer (HOF vote usually needs 75 percent of the vote).

I'm an indifferent baseball fan (i would say if I had to choose, I'm a Mets fan just because they were the closest team to me and I was able to hop on a bus to go watch games at Shea) and even to me that's just heresy or people just don't know their doo doo (at least the approx. 10,000 people who voted).

How can Greg Maddux NOT be a first-ballot HOFer? People don't remember how dominant of a pitcher he was in the 90's? How great of a command he had with his pitches?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just another note, I can remember watching Maddox toss a complete game in under 2 hours! When was the last time any pitcher did that? His catcher would set up and Maddox would hit his mitt about 95% of the time without the catcher ever moving his glove, his command was unreal!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Just another note, I can remember watching Maddox toss a complete game in under 2 hours! When was the last time any pitcher did that? His catcher would set up and Maddox would hit his mitt about 95% of the time without the catcher ever moving his glove, his command was unreal!

And he did it game after game.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
a SportsNation poll, only 70 percent of the 33,000 voters thought he was a Hall of Famer (HOF vote usually needs 75 percent of the vote).
Wait, isn't the SportsNation voters just fan votes?

It's been a long time since I read about Greg Maddux. I'd have to imagine 30% of those voters have never heard of Maddux cause of... well, age.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, its just fan votes. But still, as dominant as Maddux was(# of wins, ERA and etc), I think its a bit of a travesty that a good 30% of the people who made the effort to vote in this poll voted that he didn't belong in the HOF. I know some might have voted in spite (like Mets fans) or because of age, they might not know who Greg Maddux is but still, if you even glance some of his numbers, they are more than HOF worthy numbers.