Article on Brent Key

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This has been the best thread I’ve read here in a long time. A lot of you guys get it. I believe Key will be successful because he is already successful. Sitting in that stadium in Tampa watching our team turn the tide and then strangle UCF was one of the funnest days we’ve had in a long time.

But, the day will come when Key wants more than beating the UCF’s and UNC’s. The day will come when Key will be tired of walking off a field while watching a Dabo and Kirby smile. We all know how competitive he is and it’s gonna be hard for him to accept losing because of the uneven structure between the schools.

GT needs to embrace today’s college athletics and stop living in the past. We need to recruit any and all players regardless of academics. If they can play then GT needs to pay. We get zero extra points on the football or basketball scoreboard because we have players with a 2.7 instead of a 1.7. And as we sit and watch these expanded playoffs I can guarantee no one will care if any player can read or write or what their GPA is. They don’t even care about felonies. It sucks, I agree, but if we aren’t going to play today’s game then we shouldn’t play at all.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Both are equally important - see UNC and Miami as examples - good talent, not so good coaches.
At what point with Miami in particular is it the players and not necessarily the coaches. Numerous debates on Canes in Sight about this. Besides talking about past glories and national champions, Miami fans enjoy running off coaches more than anything. In a roughly 20 year period they hired and fired five coaches.
Larry Coker 60-15
Randy Shannon 28-23
Al Golden 36-27
Mark Richt 26-13
Manny Diaz 21-15

None of them had a losing record...OK, Manny did his best to do so but managed a winning record anyway. They fired Coker with a record of 60-15 We should have such problems.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Disagree to some extent. Nix was not the one throwing passes here and there nor was he the one with the horrible performances against Georgia. He was pretty bad though. Why Randy Shannon picked him to be his offensive coordinator is a mystery.
There were several factors to all that. Three of them were: First, some of the best 2-way talent went to the D. Second a t-FR QB with a strong but inaccurate arm. Third, an OC who could only come up with sideline routes to avoid INTs from overthrows.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Disagree to some extent. Nix was not the one throwing passes here and there nor was he the one with the horrible performances against Georgia. He was pretty bad though. Why Randy Shannon picked him to be his offensive coordinator is a mystery.
I think CCG had the handcuffs on a young OC that was also in over his head. Gailey wanted a conservative offense that didn’t turn the ball over. He was playing a pro approach in a college environment. Richt schooled him in what college was all about.