Arkansas

I am with you, I'm hoping last game was not the norm. This game will be a good indicator to what we have this year. Looking forward to it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was optimistic until that ETSU loss, but while the Hogs have talent, they're replacing a lot of key pieces. GT wins by 7

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
on the road...against a decent SEC team...after the close loss to ETSU? This is a "prove it" game for me. Even as a optimist, I am coming into this game with low expectations. Go Jackets!

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Happy Thanksgiving, friends. I'm excited about this game today. Interested to see how real respond against an SEC team. Just one thing of note, and it may have already been mentioned...Arky beat Charleston Southern who beat ETSU. That loss just got worse. Go Jackets!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nice win. BedLam (trying it out)was impressive and showing some serious progression, and against a really good player in Kingsley.

I have to know, why(WHY?!) is Q in that game with 2 mins to go up 7 and we are subbing Jorgy in for Smith on defense instead of Jax.

I want rebounding and defense there. MGH is handling the ball with Chuck, Smith Lammers and Jax on D. Heath back in for Jax on O. The play with about a minute left and the Ark player goes coast to coast and Heath had his back turned to the ball almost made my head explode. Those little things can lose you games. We need to tighten that up.

Thought Jorgy MGH Chuck Lammers and Smith all played very well. I am however on the Heath bandwagon for now. Jorgy needs to start hitting those open 3's.

Have to Clean up that perimeter defense.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Great playing by Man-Semi-Mountain Mitchell. Lammers played well and hit double digits, close to a double double. And MGH and Smith were what we needed on the wings. Keep it up, guys!

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Need to learn to put teams away. Seems like anytime we had a chance to pull away and get some seperation we would turn it over and they would score to make it close again. Good win, still need a pg. wish Tadric would step up so we could go with him and Smith in the backcourt.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After being at the games today & a hearty Thxgvg dinner... a few comments:
  • Lammers had a really nice game and it was good to see BG let him play through mistakes. Seemed like he got quite a bit more time out there than White and played down the stretch due to Jacobs' foul trouble.
  • Q was in the game in crunch time because he's (theoretically) a better free throw shooter and we needed an athletic defender in there with Jacobs in foul trouble.
  • Jorgy was getting subbed in on defense because Smith was in foul trouble, he's (theoretically) a better FT shooter & ball handler than Tadric.
  • I was definitely afraid of that Arkansas pressure at end of game, but we managed to handle it with (a) few miscues.
  • We didn't embarrass ourselves in front of Jarrett Jack & Thaddeus Young, both of whom were courtside.
  • Perimeter defense seemed a touch better, but still room for a lot of improvement. That Hannahs kid was pretty deadly.
  • I agree we need to put learn how to put teams away. What's interesting today, to the team's credit, while they had chances & didn't capitalize during the earlier parts of the 2nd half, they remained poised against Arkansas ratcheting up defensively, broke pressue, and either made shots or FTs down the stretch. They did this consistently for the most part. When was the last time you saw a GT team do that? Seriously? For the most part, we broke through pressure & traps against a highly athletic team whose history is full court pressure. Almost couldn't believe my eyes.
  • Off topic - Charlotte is getting WORKED by a Michigan team I know maybe 4 players on.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Out and about, so recorded game. Went from Wow looking good, to not again... But end with a smile.
Making free throws made a big difference.

We may not look great, but we are a lot better looking than we've been over the last 5 to 7 years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it was a matter of Lammers being effective for the bulk of the game, along with putting Q in at the stretch 4 for FTs at the end of the game.

That said, looks like White is headed towards averaging 10-15min/game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Have to admit my expectations were low for Lammers this year. I did not expect as much progression as we've seen, not just in this game, but overall. Provided he keeps up the pace he could help us on both ends of the court, perhaps even in meaningful games this year.

I'm becoming a little more concerned about our defense. I know it's early and it's one of the few things that we can usually rely on from a CBG-coached team, so I'm hopeful we'll see improvement. The defensive issues go beyond the guards... the only front court players who seem to provide an inside presence are Lammers and White, neither of which are our offensive threats at this point, so it's a pick your poison proposition right now. It's been too easy for opponents to pass the ball and finish in the paint regardless of our perimeter shortcomings.

Given where we are on offense - our strength and a pleasant surprise - I hope the coaches are able to pinpoint the issues and correct them with practice. We surely have enough talent to be better on that end of the court.