Are we getting our $$$ worth out of Danny Borrell?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Former Tech alumni here. Technology can't help throw strikes or throw breaking ball strikes in fastball situations. I brought my son to tech 2 summers ago for Danny to view. His spin rates weren't good enough for Tech. He was just names SC 4A state pitcher of the year. All he does is win games. 64IP 108ks 21bb 1.16era this year. He's 6'7 230 and throws 88-91 and can touch 93. Since I didn't play in the big leagues he doesn't get the looks he deserves. I did however have a huge part in winning 2 acc titles.
This is actually a great example of what I’ve been thinking about. It feels like we get focused on these high talents that are really more of projects in college baseball with high ceilings down the road (Maxwell and Grissom as examples). They come in with ups and downs and then are gone off to the draft before ever really touching on that elite talent here. In 5 years combined, how many “great” outings did the 2 of them have? 5 or 6 maybe?

Its fine to go after those high ceilings but we need to balance that with maybe some higher floor pitchers that are ready to throw strikes and compete in college from the start. Easier said than done I know, but hopefully this is a strategy the brain trust is keeping in mind as they piece together recruiting classes.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
From the AJC
”But, improving control of his assortment of pitches (particularly his slider) and simply learning how to think his way through at-bats, innings and games, Medich earned more and more opportunities. Borrell has been a trusted resource.

"His wealth of pitching knowledge is just so vast," Medich said. "Just being able to ask the questions, and he always has an answer for whatever it may be that I'm looking for."
I have heard generally positive feedback from the kids who have been coached by CDB both with the Yankees and at GT. However, I believe many here are correct to question his emphasis on metrics and technology vs coaching to compete/win. More emphasis needs to placed on in-game pitch calling specific to hitters weakness' and overall command/pitch location.