Are Georgia Tech Players Too Smart

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
If you’ve played any sport, you know that the actual play is almost completely instinctive. Any high level competitive physical sport has to be instinctive, because if it’s not, your opponent will beat you since they don’t need the time to think.

However, this has nothing to do with being smart or not. Intelligence doesn’t factor into it at all. The instinctiveness comes from practice and repetition. That’s really all there is to it. If our players are “thinking too much” the likely causes for this are:
1) They are not practicing enough.
2) They are not preparing correctly.
3) They system they are trying to learn is far too complicated.
4) What they are learning in practice does not actually translate into the matches (for example, a defensive lineman may have success 100% of the time with a particular spin move in practice, but in games, better or better prepared opposition means they don’t have as much success).

What’s far less likely to be a negative factor is more intelligence. A more intelligent player may need a better understanding of why and how things work, out of natural curiosity, but if CPJ is unable to provide that, that’s an even bigger failure (although I really doubt that’s the case, because there is literally a book written by CPJ available that explains his system including the whys and the hows of it).

If you’ve played any sport, you know that the actual play is almost completely instinctive. Any high level competitive physical sport has to be instinctive, because if it’s not, your opponent will beat you since they don’t need the time to think.

However, this has nothing to do with being smart or not. Intelligence doesn’t factor into it at all. The instinctiveness comes from practice and repetition. That’s really all there is to it. If our players are “thinking too much” the likely causes for this are:
1) They are not practicing enough.
2) They are not preparing correctly.
3) They system they are trying to learn is far too complicated.
4) What they are learning in practice does not actually translate into the matches (for example, a defensive lineman may have success 100% of the time with a particular spin move in practice, but in games, better or better prepared opposition means they don’t have as much success).

What’s far less likely to be a negative factor is more intelligence. A more intelligent player may need a better understanding of why and how things work, out of natural curiosity, but if CPJ is unable to provide that, that’s an even bigger failure (although I really doubt that’s the case, because there is literally a book written by CPJ available that explains his system including the whys and the hows of it).

What book, I spoke with the coach about writing a book. Told him I would write it, yes I am an Author.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Found it on the Ga southern site. Anybody who reads this now understands the genius of CPJ.
Apologies for the paywall. I googled it and the entire thing is showing up for free for me.

It is a playbook, but CPJ goes beyond just the actual plays, into discussing the kind of quarterback you should be looking for, and the attributes that would make them successful, etc.

And yes, I did not mean a real published book, but this is more than enough to show that CPJ does not lack the ability to explain his system to the more intelligent/curious players who would be interested in not just the whats, but also the whys.