APP at Coastal tonight

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
No thanks
DBD0B526-3228-4F0C-8FD2-499E7A828941.png

No thanks.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Actual question... how would you compare this guy's success pre-GT to CPJ's pre-GT?

Sub FBC level Johnson has it. What he did at GSU, both as OC and HC, is up there with the best accomplishments at that level compared to just about anybody. 86 win% overall and 90% in conference as a head coach and two championships with 2 more as OC. Chadwell at North Greenville was good, I believe the most accomplished coach in their history, but not to the same level. At Charleston Southern, Chadwell took a team that had 3 consecutive losing seasons and won, 10, 8,10 and 7 games. So that is a better building job, as head coach, but not the same level of success as johnson had.

At Navy, Johnson took a team with 4 consecutive losing seasons and won 10 games once, 9 games once, and 8 games three times in 6 years. Meanwhile, Chadwell at Coastal is a little weird since he was interim for a year before going back to OC for a year before becoming HC permanently. Anyways, he primarily saw them transition from a powerhouse FCS team to FBS and after the first 3 years struggling, with 3 wins (as interim), 5 wins (as OC), 5 wins, he broke out winning 11 games back to back and currently at 7-1 this year. Overall, while what Johnson did was impressive, I think you'd have to say that Chadwell is more accomplished at the FBS level.

Overall both have proven to be able to take a struggling program and build it (Nave and Charleston respectively) and take a pretty well off program and push it to the highest (GSU and Coastal). One thing to keep in mind is that at coastal, Chadwell doesn't really have the opportunity to win national championships. I'm not sure how you'd compare going 11-1 there vs 13-2 at GSU. Obviously the GSU teams won championships, but if the coastal teams in 20 and 21 had similar playoff opportunities against similar level teams, they very well could have too. To me, the comparison is about how good they would be as a hire here, and in that comparison I think it comes down to how relevant you think Johnson's time at Southern was.

To me, the biggest difference is that Chadwell is 45 which is the age Johnson was when he was hired at Navy, and IMO Chadwell is less married to his offensive system than Johnson became while here so I think he'd be more willing to evolve it as need be than Johnson was later in his career. I think if we hired Chadwell it'd be like hiring Johnson when O'Leary left. Hiring Johnson when we did was a good hire. Hiring him 6 years earlier would have been a great hire due to the nature of college football changing in the 2010s.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I’m not an advocate for or against Deion Sanders. But you actually went and pulled the score from one of 2 games that Jackson State has lost in the past 1.5 years as a rebuttal? Come on man. That was nearly a full calendar year ago.
It was Jackson State and all of Primes recruits, and a 4 star QB and they got blown out by a SWAC team. I think it’s a solid rebuttal. I think Coastal has lost the same amount of games in the last 2 season in a much more competitive environment.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Nice watching a physical football game. Get tired of watching what's essentially become flag football. Put your pads on and ****ing hit someone, this is supposed to be football.

I miss the Eleven Angry Men, the Steel Curtain, the Doomsday Defense, the Big Blue Wrecking Crew, the Bruise Brothers, Purple People Eaters. Gimme the Assassin, Dr Doom, Mean Jo Greene, the Enforcer, Samoan Headhunter, Minister of Defense. Not that there's anything wrong with the physical guys on the other side of the ball like Beast Mode, Diesel, Smash & Dash, The Bus, Refrigerator, Iron Head, Stump, etc.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
People here realize that Chadwell would have already left Coastal if he wasn’t so loyal to his staff? Love to have the offense, but if he’s too loyal/stubborn to make staff changes, he’s never going to sustain success in the power five imo.

JacketFan137

Banned
It was Jackson State and all of Primes recruits, and a 4 star QB and they got blown out by a SWAC team. I think it’s a solid rebuttal. I think Coastal has lost the same amount of games in the last 2 season in a much more competitive environment.
“all of primes recruits” you mean the 8 freshman he signed up to that point? you’re talking like he had a full on death star roster

just saying stuff to say stuff at this point

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
“all of primes recruits” you mean the 8 freshman he signed up to that point? you’re talking like he had a full on death star roster

just saying stuff to say stuff at this point
Like he didn’t have an incredible impact on the transfer portal? Come on man, they had more talent than us last year.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
yeah screw him for being appealing enough to players to come join him. we should definitely hold that against the guy 🙄
Im not holding that against him, the fact that SC State blew them off the field his what I’m saying. Jimbo Fisher is a great recruiter too, not sure if he can coach a lick.

JacketFan137

Banned
Im not holding that against him, the fact that SC State blew them off the field his what I’m saying. Jimbo Fisher is a great recruiter too, not sure if he can coach a lick.
1 game should definitely define a whole career

2018 we lost to south florida. and that was with a better roster and we even had an unstoppable offensive scheme. **** happens

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
1 game should definitely define a whole career

2018 we lost to south florida. and that was with a better roster and we even had an unstoppable offensive scheme. **** happens
The sample size isn’t big enough yet. 1 game over 3 seasons of Head coaching experience isn’t the same as 1 game in 25 years of experience. I was really using it as a response to the guy that said “No thanks” to Chadwell, when he obviously hasn’t watched any CCU football.

Edit: USF also had a 5 star Bama transfer QB the year they beat us.

JacketFan137

Banned
The sample size isn’t big enough yet. 1 game over 3 seasons of Head coaching experience isn’t the same as 1 game in 25 years of experience. I was really using it as a response to the guy that said “No thanks” to Chadwell, when he obviously hasn’t watched any CCU football.

Edit: USF also had a 5 star Bama transfer QB the year they beat us.
i know we let him look good but he was not a good player lol