AP All Time Top 25

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AP has compiled an all-time Top 100 based on a formula that counts poll appearances (one point) to mark consistency, No. 1 rankings (one bonus point) to acknowledge elite programs, and a bonus for AP championships won (10 points).

http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

GT comes in at #26. Surprised? Not me...I contend that's about where we've been in the modern era for the most part (on the cusp of a perrenial Top 25 team) but just have a hard time getting over the hump consistently. I think our early success in the nascent days of college football (Alexander, Heisman, Dodd) also helps carry our "dark years" between the SEC and ACC.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
One error with this poll IMO is it gives credit to early season rankings; it factors that in, which is a big no-no as bias and BS guesswork will skew actual fact f a team for that season. They are giving teams points for not playing a down so to speak. There are many teams ranked highly that don't even finished ranked; which means they were not a good team that year...but get poll credit. I wonder how this list looks if they only do it on final rankings? Probably a bit similar, maybe at the top, but when you get to the middle parts it changes...

This list is more a combination of hype + true success...It would be neat to see this as a final ranking assimilation...and where we fall...we have had many, many years ranked early on with no ranking at the years end...I bet we fall to the 30s or so...ish...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ACC
9. Florida State
13. Miami
22. Clemson
23. Pittsburgh
26. Georgia Tech
31. Virginia Tech
38. North Carolina
41. Syracuse
52. Virginia
53. Duke
56. N.C. State
57. Boston College
62. Louisville
80. Wake Forest

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Kind of silly that FSU is that high in the all time poll. They were pretty much irrelevant prior to 76 when Bowden got there.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I sure would take a 23rd at this point. btw-what is PJ's avg final ranking ?
AP doesn't rank past 25, but if you go by the Fremeau Efficiency Index (which does give awfully accurate and unbiased rankings), then CPJ finishes on average around 32. Highest ranked at 5th in 2009 and 2014, lowest ranked at 61st in 2015. Keep trending upward in recruiting and keep players healthy and the average should steadily clime. In theory.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Ranking is designed by an Ohio State fan for Ohio State fans.

Ohio State - 5 AP Championships = #1
Alabama - 10 AP Championships = #4

WTF?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
They weighted the importance of being ranked more frequently, and ranked #1 more frequently, over being crowned champ. Self serving way of trying to trumpet their own importance. Stupid and lame. F the AP.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
AP doesn't rank past 25, but if you go by the Fremeau Efficiency Index (which does give awfully accurate and unbiased rankings), then CPJ finishes on average around 32. Highest ranked at 5th in 2009 and 2014, lowest ranked at 61st in 2015. Keep trending upward in recruiting and keep players healthy and the average should steadily clime. In theory.

"keep trending upward in recruiting"? we were in the 60's somewhere last yr depending on who is polled , the worst class coming in for PJ ( although the '13 class fell apart and also finished low)

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No real weight to the entire history of the game. If you take into account everything from the beginning, Georgia Tech would be well within the top 10.

Go Jackets!