Anyone use a password generator

slugboy

Staff member
1Password is the most respected password manager I know of that uses an internet hub to sync passwords. It always has a subscription cost.
Bitwarden is open source and has a free option. It’s well respected.
KeePass is desktop-only. You can sync the password “vault” to other devices, but you’re on your own for tech support.

Some smart Internet security folk recommend the password vault in Chrome or other browsers. Opinions are strongly divided on what’s the best and safest option for most people.

Mostly, I see people I trust recommend 1Password or Bitwarden, with some recommending KeePass

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
1Password is the most respected password manager I know of that uses an internet hub to sync passwords. It always has a subscription cost.
Bitwarden is open source and has a free option. It’s well respected.
KeePass is desktop-only. You can sync the password “vault” to other devices, but you’re on your own for tech support.

Some smart Internet security folk recommend the password vault in Chrome or other browsers. Opinions are strongly divided on what’s the best and safest option for most people.

Mostly, I see people I trust recommend 1Password or Bitwarden, with some recommending KeePass
Thanks for the reply. In searching the net for the best, I see 1Password on the top of alot of lists. With Bitwarden and KeePass up towards the top of these lists too.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have used 1Password for years and am a big fan. My wife uses Dashlane and has been happy with it.

I looked at NordPass a while back (maybe a year ago) but heard their ios app was buggy and that sounded like a pain.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I have used Bitwarden for years and like it better than 1Password. But that's a preference thing more than a technical merits thing. You should be good with either.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Do any of you use/pay for a password generator or do you rely on your own ability to generate passwords.
Bitwarden is a fine solution. Recall, however, that your password keeper needs a password. For that and for a few "must be able to recover" accounts I use very long idiosyncratic transliterations of fundamental EE equations.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I use 1password, moved to that from lastpass. I still create my own passwords but use 1password to store and fill. Using a generated password scares me a little :)