Anybody listening to Richt Show?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I was going to listen to the Richt show this week because I wanted to hear what he is saying about us. Am I going to hear that or are they talking about something else? I respect the guy's personal beliefs, but I tune into a football show for football talk.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
He supposedly is NOT an employee of the STATE. Things may have changed, especially in the cesspool, but I don't believe that coaches' salaries come out of state taxes. If so, then I want a refund.

Better ask for a refund then: http://www.usg.edu/fiscal_affairs/documents/usg_budget_fy13.pdf
>$303MM in State money to uGA in 2013

ykdkqhstdm1ptubyuct2.jpg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been pointed out already, but what bugs me about Richt is not his religious faith or that he pontificates at every opportunity. What bugs me is that his actions, and those of his players - especially those of his players - don't back it up. Actions speak louder than words.

If you can't/won't walk the walk, don't talk the talk. Hypocrites don't fly with me, especially one's that portray a holier than thou image in public.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What bugs me is that his actions, and those of his players - especially those of his players - don't back it up. Actions speak louder than words.
Richt is careless about recruiting unsavory characters but I give him a lot of credit for nipping problems in the bud when they happen. Same with the Athens-Clarke County police. All this nonsense going on in Tallahassee would not be going on in Athens under Richt's watch.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Richt is careless about recruiting unsavory characters but I give him a lot of credit for nipping problems in the bud when they happen. Same with the Athens-Clarke County police. All this nonsense going on in Tallahassee would not be going on in Athens under Richt's watch.
I agree with this for the most part, but he'd have better lucky culling the herd of prospects rather than culling the herd after they're already on the team. Some of the clowns he's let on the team were nobrainers.

11328014.jpg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Your religious beliefs will have its greatest impact if he/she sees them in action and not hearing them from your lips.
I think we agree completely that action with words are the best mix.
Don't agree with the connotation that only best is acceptable so do good works till they ask you and then. Speak. It's really. About 60-70 percent of the general population has ever been told the gospel Storey in a one on one setting - that's a church me member problem and not a church problem. (The is 1970-80 church saying of "let your smile be your sermon" is now credited with being one of the church actions that has helped cause a decline in church attendance. Some denominations are more internal then others - ie the Presbyterians which have great buildings and once were a force outside them , but will have 0 members in 20 years based on long term decline rates.this is happening while Young person plantings of churches are at record highs. )

Coach r does what I feel is too much "me, I me I in his discussion on the subject and uses it too much as a recruiting tool" . Our program is known too support the whole person but it is underfunded and coach had to make some people changes to improve it. . Gt does so much more with less its rediculous.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
There are a myriad of reasons to favor Tech over Georgia. I am not sure Richt's apparently genuine religious belief is one of them. THWG!
Again, CMR's religious beliefs have no bearing on my like/dislike of him or UGAg - I simply favor the punch-you-in-the-face CPJ persona over the the Rev-Richt-as-Football-Coach persona

Wish I had never started this stupid damn thread... Let's all give this nonsense a rest...

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll try to lend some context:

After listening to CPJ, I was (morbidly) curious to see what CMR might have to say about the upcoming game... By the time I tuned in, there was little talk of the game, and the caller I happened to hear made the point that he is an evangelical minister from Southern GA, and he went on to say how even the opposing fan bases tell him how much they respect CMR as a outspoken Christian...

As I listened to this conversation, and CMR's ongoing affirmation of his evangelical beliefs, I though to myself, "ya know, this guy makes a zillion dollars a year - from tax payers... He's paid to be the football coach... He really ought to keep the focus on football and not on his personal religious views"...

YES - he is entitled to his belief, and I am sure that he obeys the moral teachings of his faith - but he's not paid to proselytize or espouse the religious beliefs... It should be a personal matter, and as a state employee, he should say as much...

I don't doubt his faith or his sincerity, but there's no denying that, by allowing his faith to be a prominent pert of his public persona, he accrues a "benefit of a doubt" with a large portion of his fan base that would otherwise want to string him up after, say, a loss to a bad UF team...

Again, I am grateful that our coach has enough sense to keep things focused on football and the performance of the team, on the field and off...

For anyone who thinks I was suggesting that religious belief should be relegated to only a church service, you are mistaken... Religious belief is one of many things that influence and inform our moral behavior - and this is what matters most to all of us, because it is what determines the character of the society we're a part of...

Gee whizz, I went to bed last night and woke up this morning to a raging controversy. I realize I contributed to pushing some peoples' hot buttons so just as bartoma did, let me put my response in context. I am a 'follower' of Jesus Christ. I consider it a relationship, not a religion. Do I congregate and worship with a group of like minded people in a church building on a regular basis? Yes. Do I read and study the Bible (which I believe is the Word of God, the Creator of all things)? Yes. As a believer of Christ and His Word, I/we are commanded by Jesus Christ Himself to tell others that He is the answer for our redemption, the liberator of our sinful ways, and is the Way, the Truth and the Life. That does not make me a better person than anybody, that does not mean I know what's best for anyone, I'm not better and I don't claim to know what's best for anyone. I do know the One who is better, I do know the One who knows everything that is best for us, and His name is Jesus.

I am well aware these beliefs are radical, make people very uncomfortable, and a lot of folks don't like it. I am also sensitive the the fact that unless God is moving in a person's heart, whatever I tell them about my 'religion' is a futile act. I don't know what CMR said or what made him say it. I do understand there are many who wear the name of Christ are hypocrites. I have said and done hypocritical things for which I am ashamed, everyone does. But, Jesus is not a hypocrite, so I would tell you (and I'm sure CMR would also) to look at who Jesus is, to do what Jesus commanded, to use Jesus as a role model.

We're talking about our football team, our players and coaches. We have players and coaches who are very public about what they believe. It's okay. We live (or used to) live in a free country. When I joined the Navy I took an oath to defend the United States and it's Constitution; with my life if necessary. When I went to Vietnam and had to dodge communist rockets and mortars in DaNang my oath really took on new meaning. That's why I will be outspoken about my beliefs. I earned the right, for myself and Mark Richt and even those who may be offended by my words.

When I went to bed last night I was watching a mob burn down Ferguson, MO. They really needed to hear about Jesus and His teachings. I don't like UGA, I don't like a lot of their fan base (I consider them un-circumsized Phillistines :mad:) , I am happy when they lose. I would like nothing better than Georgia Tech to pull their pants down and humiliate them. But, I am not offended and in fact am encouraged if their coach or their players would talk about Jesus and His goodness.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but Christianity, the religion, does not confine itself to just Sundays.
I keep waiting for someone to say the obvious here. Jesus said beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them. He also said to let others see your good works so they will give glory to God. So which is it? What you say on a radio show or what happens on Saturday when your players take cheap shots intended to injure a player? I am not accusing because I do not know CMR, but I would really like to see his players act a little more Christian on the field.