Any advice for getting N.D. tix?

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
Just occurred to me to possibly plan a family trip for the N.D. game. When are away game tickets available? We haven't done away games for a few years. Any advice on how to get the best tickets? I know, in the past, the seats available through the GTAA typically weren't the best.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I did the family trip to South Bend in 2015. Most people like the Chicago route, (taking in a Cubs game at Wrigley, riding the bus, ect.) For the boring, economy traveler like myself- my family of four flew into Indianapolis on Frontier at $118 per round trip ticket on Friday afternoon. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on US 31 in the lovely town of Carmel, Indiana for $100 a night (breakfast included). There are some wonderful bar/ grill restaurants in downtown Carmel. The town even had an orchestra performing on the Courthouse Square the night we were there. The morning of the game, US 31 is a straight shot due North into South Bend. It takes a little longer than Chicago but not by much ( 2.5 hours)- there was no traffic. Our seats were purchased via my season tickets at about $110 a piece. The seats were in the upper End Zone , but were actually quite good. They are not nearly as high as Clemson or UGA. The rental car was $25 a day. So, when you add everything up, it was a $1400 trip for our family of four. Even though we got beat that day, it was a trip my sons will never forget.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
I did the family trip to South Bend in 2015. Most people like the Chicago route, (taking in a Cubs game at Wrigley, riding the bus, ect.) For the boring, economy traveler like myself- my family of four flew into Indianapolis on Frontier at $118 per round trip ticket on Friday afternoon. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on US 31 in the lovely town of Carmel, Indiana for $100 a night (breakfast included). There are some wonderful bar/ grill restaurants in downtown Carmel. The town even had an orchestra performing on the Courthouse Square the night we were there. The morning of the game, US 31 is a straight shot due North into South Bend. It takes a little longer than Chicago but not by much ( 2.5 hours)- there was no traffic. Our seats were purchased via my season tickets at about $110 a piece. The seats were in the upper End Zone , but were actually quite good. They are not nearly as high as Clemson or UGA. The rental car was $25 a day. So, when you add everything up, it was a $1400 trip for our family of four. Even though we got beat that day, it was a trip my sons will never forget.
Good info, thanks!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m driving down from Flint, MI Friday afternoon. Gonna find a place to watch the basketball game vs UGA that night, then hit the tailgate spot or bar pregame Saturday morning.
I just looked at Expedia and there’s still a few decently priced hotels available.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Plenty of tickets available around the stadium. Not outrageously priced either. I think we paid 20-30 over face for 40yd line tickets not too far up. I can’t remember the rules they have regarding scalping, but you have to be away from the stadium. It’s not real risky to go there without tickets. You’ll find ample supply to choose from once you figure out where the tickets are at.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m driving down from Flint, MI Friday afternoon. Gonna find a place to watch the basketball game vs UGA that night, then hit the tailgate spot or bar pregame Saturday morning.
I just looked at Expedia and there’s still a few decently priced hotels available.
I might do the same. Might bring my boys over with me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There will be tickets available and I don't want to throw cold water on anybody's trip, but, imho, the seating and game experience at MB simply sucks big time. Try to get centrally located seats on the lower level; people higher up end up watching the game on a Jumbotron. And be ready for a loooooong walk to the restrooms and food stands.

Grant Field is a much better venue for watching Tech games, imho. But whatever floats your boat.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There will be tickets available and I don't want to throw cold water on anybody's trip, but, imho, the seating and game experience at MB simply sucks big time. Try to get centrally located seats on the lower level; people higher up end up watching the game on a Jumbotron. And be ready for a loooooong walk to the restrooms and food stands.

Grant Field is a much better venue for watching Tech games, imho. But whatever floats your boat.
Um, Notre Dame game is in South Bend this year. Pretty sure MB doesn't play into it.

Baker99

Georgia Tech Fan

I feel as though you have never been to MBS. There is literally a bathroom at the top of every section, and food is places line the walls. The longest walk would be if you want something specific. Either way both are closer then at Bobby Dodd.

My biggest issue with the notre dame game is I couldn't believe the prices of the hotel rooms in South Bend. I got my tickets for the game from GTAA, I figured I couldn't beat the price. Plus I'll be surrounded by fellow fans.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I feel as though you have never been to MBS. There is literally a bathroom at the top of every section, and food is places line the walls. The longest walk would be if you want something specific. Either way both are closer then at Bobby Dodd.

My biggest issue with the notre dame game is I couldn't believe the prices of the hotel rooms in South Bend. I got my tickets for the game from GTAA, I figured I couldn't beat the price. Plus I'll be surrounded by fellow fans.
They may have improved things. Th only time I was at MB was the Tech/UT game back in 2017. The experience sucked so bad I've never been back. And, btw, I left out the interminable walks to get in and out of the place.

Thing to remember about South Bend = it is actually south Chicago. Some of my buds who went to the games there stayed in Chicago or Gary and drove in. The fight for parking was no worse, according to them, then going to Athens for a Tech game. But if you want to walk to the game, you pay the price.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thing to remember about South Bend = it is actually south Chicago. Some of my buds who went to the games there stayed in Chicago or Gary and drove in. The fight for parking was no worse, according to them, then going to Athens for a Tech game. But if you want to walk to the game, you pay the price.
I live on the North Shore, so it's about a 2 hr drive for me. If someone stays in Chicago proper, it's about 90 minutes, and if you stay somewhere like Portage or Valparaiso, it's about an hour. I wouldn't stay in Gary.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
They may have improved things. Th only time I was at MB was the Tech/UT game back in 2017. The experience sucked so bad I've never been back. And, btw, I left out the interminable walks to get in and out of the place.

I was at the 2017 game too, but I don't remember having a bad experience. If I remember right, wasn't it the first game in the stadium or something? I haven't been back since, but I'm sure they've improved things since then.