Antonio Simmons

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Kyle Travis looked good. Obviously he's small, and I wouldn't want him in there against run-heavy teams, but he played with a great motor. Would have stopped Brewer for a loss on 3rd down one time and got blatantly held. No call. Kallon isn't great, but he's a body to keep Gotsis and Green fresh. He has his good and bad downs. Sometimes he holds his own and sometimes he gets pushed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind Gamble and Kallon not putting pressure on the QB if they can take up blocks and maintain their position and free up someone to rush the passer in their gap. That's fine for now. As someone said, as long as we can get Gotsis a breather without it hurting the team, that will work.

I'd rather redshirt guys along the OL/DL, but at the same time experience is invaluable. Kind of a Catch-22 there. Simmons looks like he gained some weight compared to his HS film. I just remember him being offsides and negating a great 3rd down defensive stop for us...and getting the business from Pelton.

I said it in another thread...we're young right now...scary young. Scary as in we're not playing anywhere near our potential, yet we're 4-0. Once this team matures over the next few years it we could have a nice run like those Joe Hamilton years with O'Leary.

I know one thing, with JeT's skillset leading our offense, it's going to be a fun ride.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
The more Kallon and Gamble play the better off we'll be later in the year and especially next season. I still feel both of these men will become productive players.

The playing time they get now will pay double at end of the season. Sometimes you have to get your feet put to the fire to learn what it takes. I'm glad they can do it as a back up versus as starters.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess my point is it doesn't matter if we can "afford it" or not. We are in a fight for our lives right now and there is no tomorrow if we lose. Sorry to be so dramatic. It looks like we have a chance at a special season, but it is just a chance. If we play the same defense the rest of the way as we did the first few games, it won't happen.

Its a little dramatic. All of this can be cured with a tad more pressure package and they did that the second half. Hopefully roof will adapt and do this from the get go more. We blitzed more the second half.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am glad his shirt was burned. Look, this defense is in a fight for its life and we are still undefeated. IMHO we have to pull out all stops and do whatever it takes in an effort to put up any kind of defense we can muster. This is the metaphorical fixing of bayonets the way I see it. The enemy has already cut through the barbed wire, we have no air support, they are coming over the hill and we are low on bullets.

Given that only about 20% of our scholarship players under CPJ* have made it to their 5th year, I'm all for playing whoever can help the team. Or playing whoever can use the experience to build depth to cover for possible crunch time injuries.

I also think that getting fan/public/ESPN enthusiasm is essential to keeping CPJ. So there is no retreat.

I don't know how much bringing in Simmons helped, but the D played their best game of the year. Can't wait for your review.

* Probably less than 20% for most other schools.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Is he 43? I noticed 43 making some plays and moving around the field very athletically. He should be a good one for us.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I am glad his shirt was burned. Look, this defense is in a fight for its life and we are still undefeated. IMHO we have to pull out all stops and do whatever it takes in an effort to put up any kind of defense we can muster. This is the metaphorical fixing of bayonets the way I see it. The enemy has already cut through the barbed wire, we have no air support, they are coming over the hill and we are low on bullets.

Boomer, look out for the resident "cliche alert and hammer"!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Given that only about 20% of our scholarship players under CPJ* have made it to their 5th year, I'm all for playing whoever can help the team. Or playing whoever can use the experience to build depth to cover for possible crunch time injuries.

I also think that getting fan/public/ESPN enthusiasm is essential to keeping CPJ. So there is no retreat.

I don't know how much bringing in Simmons helped, but the D played their best game of the year. Can't wait for your review.

Fwiw, I'm not entirely sold on that stat. 2009 was really CPJ's first "real" class, and last year would've been their 5th year. Last year, we had 15 RS Srs, by my glance, it seems that 10 of them were members of our 21 recruit 2009 class. Other members of that class who did not make the RS year were Izaan Cross, Stephen Hill, Orwin Smith, Rod Sweeting, and Julian Burnett (who I think all played as Tr Fr), Jeremy Moore, Lance Richardson and Carl Miles who never broke through, Antonio Foster and JC Lanier who had health issues and Jordan Luallen who transferred. So, it seems to me that of the 16 scholly guys we RS'd in 2009, we had 11 who played in their fifth year, 9 of them were key starters. Robbie Godhigh was also a RS Sr last year.

On this year's team, 8 of our 11 RS Srs and 1 Sr were part of our 19 recruit class from 2009, which included Jake Skole who chose baseball, Denzel McCoy who had health issues, Jeremiah Attaochu, Lou Young, Justin Moore who never RS'd, and four guys left early for some reason, Ryan Ayers, Anthony Williams, Catlin Alford, and Fred Holton (who played as a true Fr but I think used a RS year later). Of the 9 guys from that class on our roster this year, 6 of them are starting and the other 3 are running backs who play every game.

Obviously we've had some bad attrition since then, but in discussing CPJ's RS policy, I think it's best to focus on the years where he's been both recruiting and red-shirting. In these years, it seems to be paying off. Take it for what it's worth.

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
All I know is Simmons Was called for offsides on the 3rd down play that we stopped and would have force a FG attempt, instead the fumblruski play happened for a TD on that drive. HUGE PENALTY! I thought it was a game changer (for the gobblers). That being said, all is forgiven....W's will do that. Best Weekend I've had in a while! Got to stop the mental errors though, for sure.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

As coach shows that he will let younger guys - who may be just ok - get on the field , we should start getting even better recruits than we have now for 15. If by some great coaching we have a good year, IMO we will start having 2-3 game changers per year. These. Will likely leave early.