Another unSmart coach at work

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Nah, the frustrating part is the coaches/trainers can't have an open, frank discussion with you unless your kid gives them express permission.

I agree, this has nothing to do with the kid and everything to do with control of information. Let's face it, information is power, and the coaches want to keep as much of that power to themselves as possible. In this instance, I have no problem with the coaches wanting to control comments regarding injuries. Realistically, no one knows the extent of an injury until often times much later. Think about the number of questions the coaches receive about injuries that they really can't comment on, legally.

To me, the way to control something like that is for the coach to state that he can't comment on it legally. Just as you indicated.

They (coaches) can't control the media. Now, to me, "journalists" should have enough integrity to not disclose things without attribution (I think that's the right phrase). Unfortunately, the "journalism" field is dead.

Deleted member 2897

This entire thing is stupid, even down to who notifies the parents first. If a reporter is at practice and sees a guy sprain his ankle badly and can't go any further. Should the coaches stop practice so one of them can craft a text message to the player's parents or give them a call? Of course not. Even if its something severe like a kid breaks a bone and has to go to the hospital, the first priority is the health and safety of the kid. If a reporter happens to send out a tweet or article before a coach has a chance to call the parents, WHO CARES. Well, Kirby cares, because he's an insecure nimrod. He's writing his own tombstone, just like Jacob Eason is, wearing the opposing team's jerseys to Falcons games.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This entire thing is stupid, even down to who notifies the parents first. If a reporter is at practice and sees a guy sprain his ankle badly and can't go any further. Should the coaches stop practice so one of them can craft a text message to the player's parents or give them a call? Of course not. Even if its something severe like a kid breaks a bone and has to go to the hospital, the first priority is the health and safety of the kid. If a reporter happens to send out a tweet or article before a coach has a chance to call the parents, WHO CARES. Well, Kirby cares, because he's an insecure nimrod. He's writing his own tombstone, just like Jacob Eason is, wearing the opposing team's jerseys to Falcons games.

See, that's one of the situations that makes me uneasy. I guess it's a 'you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube once it's out' situation. Meaning, I don't think there should be journalists even in position to see that.

But, that ignores the fact that this is big business now and there's a lot of people having to justify their employment by attending practice, writing injury updates, etc.

As it is, like you said, if a guy happens to see an injury he can't unsee it. And if he sits on the story out of respect for the kid/his parent(s), the jack-leg next to him will have already tweeted out his story-teaser.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nah, the frustrating part is the coaches/trainers can't have an open, frank discussion with you unless your kid gives them express permission.

I agree, this has nothing to do with the kid and everything to do with control of information. Let's face it, information is power, and the coaches want to keep as much of that power to themselves as possible. In this instance, I have no problem with the coaches wanting to control comments regarding injuries. Realistically, no one knows the extent of an injury until often times much later. Think about the number of questions the coaches receive about injuries that they really can't comment on, legally.
I told my second son no permission, no tuition., but luckily I was never in a position of having to do that, which was good because there is no way I would enforce it. Suppose another stick and carrot would be necessary for a scholarshipped student.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
See, that's one of the situations that makes me uneasy. I guess it's a 'you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube once it's out' situation. Meaning, I don't think there should be journalists even in position to see that.

But, that ignores the fact that this is big business now and there's a lot of people having to justify their employment by attending practice, writing injury updates, etc.

As it is, like you said, if a guy happens to see an injury he can't unsee it. And if he sits on the story out of respect for the kid/his parent(s), the jack-leg next to him will have already tweeted out his story-teaser.
Ah, social media. There is the big fly in the ointment.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I told my second son no permission, no tuition., but luckily I was never in a position of having to do that, which was good because there is no way I would enforce it. Suppose another stick and carrot would be necessary for a scholarshipped student.
yeah, he gave permission. But when the trainer called to have him picked up because he obviously couldn't drive, she couldn't tell my wife anything except that he had been injured in practice and that she needed to come pick him up. Once she was there and they were all together, he gave her permission to speak with his mom about what was going on. That's crazy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yeah, he gave permission. But when the trainer called to have him picked up because he obviously couldn't drive, she couldn't tell my wife anything except that he had been injured in practice and that she needed to come pick him up. Once she was there and they were all together, he gave her permission to speak with his mom about what was going on. That's crazy.
It appears to be one of those unintended consequences when trying to safeguard individual privacy. Sometimes such circumstances never seem to occur to courts and judges.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

If I read correctly you said your son was 18 when this injury occurred? If so, as we all now, he is legally an adult and HIPPA applies. IIUC HIPPA do not require a minor to give permission to disclose medical information but that disclosure is limited to who the information can be released to,

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I read correctly you said your son was 18 when this injury occurred? If so, as we all now, he is legally an adult and HIPPA applies. IIUC HIPPA do not require a minor to give permission to disclose medical information but that disclosure is limited to who the information can be released to,
Right. That's the entire point of my contribution to this thread. There's just no way Smart is up in arms because parents are hearing about injuries before the staff is able to inform them. Almost 100% if not 100% of these college kids are over the age of 18.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Right. That's the entire point of my contribution to this thread. There's just no way Smart is up in arms because parents are hearing about injuries before the staff is able to inform them. Almost 100% if not 100% of these college kids are over the age of 18.

Oh I don't doubt Curby's being Curby because he's like Nicky in wanting to control the narrative. But there is still the point of parents hearing about their son getting injured from someone other than the staff. It's just the right thing to do for the player and family. And why the media seems to think HIPPA is not applicable to them is another issue though they will hide under the fig leaf of saying they are not releasing "medical" information by reporting a player was hurt/injured.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Oh I don't doubt Curby's being Curby because he's like Nicky in wanting to control the narrative. But there is still the point of parents hearing about their son getting injured from someone other than the staff. It's just the right thing to do for the player and family. And why the media seems to think HIPPA is not applicable to them is another issue though they will hide under the fig leaf of saying they are not releasing "medical" information by reporting a player was hurt/injured.
I agree;):sneaky:

Deleted member 2897

So you're saying Kirby is a stupid idiot buffoon liar? I can buy that.

(BTW, even if you're not saying that, I will.)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Kirby "Not So" Smart makes Ray Goff look like a Rhodes Scholar:LOL:
It's Ray Goof, for the record. If Curbe was as smart as that moron, we might have some serious trouble on the Flats. The only trophy Curbe's going to win is the annual pre-season national championship. My question is will it take the idiot mutt fans 1, 2, 3 or 4 more years to figure out Curbe's a dunce just like the rest of those morons? My guess is he's good until year 3 & gets the hook in year 4.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It's Ray Goof, for the record. If Curbe was as smart as that moron, we might have some serious trouble on the Flats. The only trophy Curbe's going to win is the annual pre-season national championship. My question is will it take the idiot mutt fans 1, 2, 3 or 4 more years to figure out Curbe's a dunce just like the rest of those morons? My guess is he's good until year 3 & gets the hook in year 4.
I think Kirby Goff will be let go in December 2018 when UGAG wins 7-8 games for three straight seasons.