Another recruiting philosophy

LibertyTurns

Banned
My 18yo daughter just did.
There’s always an exception to the rule but 1 instance hardly makes it commonplace.

Feel for you man. I’d have hated to plunk down all that cash & now have to be doubling down. College is expensive enough without what you’re going thru. Add that to the fact you’ve got roommates selected months ago, orientations already set, etc. Gotta be interesting.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
There’s always an exception to the rule but 1 instance hardly makes it commonplace.

Feel for you man. I’d have hated to plunk down all that cash & now have to be doubling down. College is expensive enough without what you’re going thru. Add that to the fact you’ve got roommates selected months ago, orientations already set, etc. Gotta be interesting.
I turned down my dream school as well... So even in this small online community, you have two examples... Perhaps is it more common than you believe...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Just looked and if 247 is right:
Georgia Tech Decommits
2019 2
2018 2
2017 3
2016 0
2015 0
2014 0
2013 0
2012 0
2011 1 ( Stephon Tuitt maybe 3 day not sure but wasn't long
2010 0

I say we have done well.

Hate to say itbut that number is also a function of what others offers our guys had.
Also decommits are one thing but maybe worse is the drop-out/off rate from the class of guys that came to school for a while..For several yrs we were hovering around 30% rate (for WHATEVER reason) and some of those guys were good.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I turned down my dream school as well... So even in this small online community, you have two examples... Perhaps is it more common than you believe...
Looks like it is. My wife worked with kids for a long time, I’ve worked with a ton of people with kids & neither of us ever heard of a kid turning down their dream school once. We’ve lived a lot of places so we thought it was nearly as rare as a unicorn. Not getting accepted has been a frequent occurrence as is not liking it once they got there, but having your heart set on something and changing your mind at the last minute. Odd it’s so prevalent & we’ve never seen it. Looks like we’re the unicorns.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

GT was my dream school I had a full academic scholarship to GT out of HS. The only reason I turned it down was that my acceptance to the USCGA made my goal of being a military officer much more achievable. While I do know of people who turn down their dream schools, I would stipulate that number is still very low as a percentage.

TechPreacher

Banned
GT was my dream school I had a full academic scholarship to GT out of HS. The only reason I turned it down was that my acceptance to the USCGA made my goal of being a military officer much more achievable. While I do know of people who turn down their dream schools, I would stipulate that number is still very low as a percentage.

So technically, you attended your dream school. (y)

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow

Thanks for the sentiment. Fortunately, it didn't really cost me anything except heartburn. She had some incredible offers.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If a recruit’s basically untrustworthy, maybe even dishonest, I can see nothing but trouble when he gets on campus. Then again we can start competing for the Fulmer Cup like the mutt. It seems like we basically having given up on cracking the Top 10 there much less winning it.
Do u go on coach collins twitter ?
I see zero fulmer cup leanings, but thats me.[/QUOTE]

UGA is number three right now in the Fulmer Cup standings.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I like and respect what he’s done but he’s got a **** load of money and a hell of a staff around him. If Clemson stayed on the same path as they were in 2008-11 I think Dabo might be coaching somewhere else. They invested everything they have into football and it’s paying off.
Second things first, Dabo won 10 games in 2011 and has not won less than double digits since. 2010 is the only year that might be considered mediocre, with six wins and a bunch of close losses. As to the second part, one drive over that campus dodging and ducking construction zones tells you they are pouring money into far more than football. But yes, they spend bunches of money on the program and are content that they get it back. Dabo with the MBA shows his negotiating skills every year with Alabama as his hardly hidden hole card and among other things gets money for a DC -- $2 million plus -- and two OC -- $1 million plus for each, so while Saban fires half a dozen coaches every year -- somebody has to be blamed -- including his coordinators, Swinney has replaced something like two assistants. That speaks to a lot, beginning with his skill at hiring assistants.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech Decommits
2019 2
2018 2
2017 3
2016 0
2015 0
2014 0
2013 0
2012 0
2010 0

I say we have done well.
You do know, don't you, that you just opened the door to the critics who say Johnson couldn't recruit anyway so they weren't sought by others in the first place?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Do u go on coach collins twitter ?
I see zero fulmer cup leanings, but thats me.

UGA is number three right now in the Fulmer Cup standings.[/QUOTE]
Upon further review, UGA continues to be number 3 in this year's Fulmer Cup standings but is not in the running just yet for the Ellis T Jones III award which is the award for individual performance in racking up arrests. Named for the first recipient back in 2006 I think, who racked up double digit felony charges while running an all in one prostitution ring and drug emporium from the trunk of his car while a little known defensive back for San Jose State. He got so many points that the Spartans took the Fulmer Cup that year even though he was the only point getter. A truly stupendous individual achievement on his part. In recognition, the committee recognized him and named the award in his honor as well as instituting the rule that henceforth a school cannot win the Fulmer Cup based on one player's efforts, distinguished and exemplary though they may be.

This year's leader for the Ellis T Jones III award is fittingly a UT Vol named Kenneth George Jr. who managed multiple felonies for battery, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, violence towards a officer etc. His 10 points would be good enough for the Vols to be tied with UGA but alas, Kenneth is the only Vol charged at the moment and his points are not allowed to count in Fulmer Cup standings.

SEC speed is on full display this year as usual. The Paul Dee Award for conference excellence in accumulating Fulmer Cup points currently has the SEC way out in front. Gotta have that SEC speed to motor away from the police.

Of note, UGA last won the Fulmer Cup in 2010 and could win this year with some timely drug busts, bar fights, and domestic violence incidents.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Second things first, Dabo won 10 games in 2011 and has not won less than double digits since. 2010 is the only year that might be considered mediocre, with six wins and a bunch of close losses. As to the second part, one drive over that campus dodging and ducking construction zones tells you they are pouring money into far more than football. But yes, they spend bunches of money on the program and are content that they get it back. Dabo with the MBA shows his negotiating skills every year with Alabama as his hardly hidden hole card and among other things gets money for a DC -- $2 million plus -- and two OC -- $1 million plus for each, so while Saban fires half a dozen coaches every year -- somebody has to be blamed -- including his coordinators, Swinney has replaced something like two assistants. That speaks to a lot, beginning with his skill at hiring assistants.

Clemson had other coaches like Tommy Bowden, who had plenty of talent but for whatever reason could not get it done. The proof is in the pudding and Dabo has firmly put Clemson in the elite factory category of college football programs that may as well be semi professionals. This would be Alabama, UGA, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and a whole slew of wannabes including Auburn, FSU, Miami, Texas A&M, Penn State, LSU, Florida, and others. This is what Clemson has been building towards for decades to be included among the true football factory programs ever since they got a taste of the high life in 1980 with their first national championship. Good for them but I remain convinced that they along with Alabama, UGA, FSU, Miami, Ohio State, and heaven knows who else are paying players and in a sane world would be given a death penalty that would render them impotent for the next 10 years or so.

LibertyTurns

Banned
UGA is number three right now in the Fulmer Cup standings.
Of note, UGA last won the Fulmer Cup in 2010 and could win this year with some timely drug busts, bar fights, and domestic violence incidents.[/QUOTE]
This had me conflicted for a bit, but here’s to hoping they come in 2nd. I guess I really hate them winning anything & that includes the Fulmer Cup. 2nd best is as good as those bastards should ever be even during the world’s darkest days.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech Decommits
2019 2
2018 2
2017 3
2016 0
2015 0
2014 0
2013 0
2012 0
2010 0

I say we have done well.

What are we considering "decommits"? Anyone who publicly "commits" then later decommits, or last minute flips?

Right off the bat I can tell you that those numbers are wrong. I know just in 2011 we had some pretty big flips the other way

DE Trey Flowers
https://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgi...georgia-tech-recruiting-trey-flowers-arkansas

OL Tre Jackson
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2019...sive-guard-tre-jackson-2013-national-champion

Both ended up being NFL draft picks.

2013 QB Damon Mitchell flipped to Arkansas

There are quite a few others as well, but I'm not digging into the vault (my memory...ahem) to name them all.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What are we considering "decommits"? Anyone who publicly "commits" then later decommits, or last minute flips?

Right off the bat I can tell you that those numbers are wrong. I know just in 2011 we had some pretty big flips the other way

DE Trey Flowers
https://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgi...georgia-tech-recruiting-trey-flowers-arkansas

OL Tre Jackson
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2019...sive-guard-tre-jackson-2013-national-champion

Both ended up being NFL draft picks.

2013 QB Damon Mitchell flipped to Arkansas

There are quite a few others as well, but I'm not digging into the vault (my memory...ahem) to name them all.
Great for you if you just want to prove someone wrong . Read what I said ( IF 247 was right ) second those the first two were not flips their offer was pulled because they took another visit after CPJ told everyone not to commit and then take a visit. IT was not them Tech pulled the offer . As for Damon Mitchell I have no idea who he is and don't care.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great for you if you just want to prove someone wrong . Read what I said ( IF 247 was right ) second those the first two were not flips their offer was pulled because they took another visit after CPJ told everyone not to commit and then take a visit. IT was not them Tech pulled the offer . As for Damon Mitchell I have no idea who he is and don't care.
Remember the now infamous “Don’t get on that plane, Dante...”

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson had other coaches like Tommy Bowden, who had plenty of talent but for whatever reason could not get it done. The proof is in the pudding and Dabo has firmly put Clemson in the elite factory category of college football programs that may as well be semi professionals. This would be Alabama, UGA, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and a whole slew of wannabes including Auburn, FSU, Miami, Texas A&M, Penn State, LSU, Florida, and others. This is what Clemson has been building towards for decades to be included among the true football factory programs ever since they got a taste of the high life in 1980 with their first national championship. Good for them but I remain convinced that they along with Alabama, UGA, FSU, Miami, Ohio State, and heaven knows who else are paying players and in a sane world would be given a death penalty that would render them impotent for the next 10 years or so.
Somewhere I recall a quote from Johnson somewhere to the effect that if a "committed" player was visiting elsewhere, then he wasn't committed. It was both a recognition of his own recruits and his recruiting of other players supposedly "committed" to other schools. The logic of it was so astounding I was surprised it got little reaction. My own was that, sure, of course he's right.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think we all want to find a logical reason for perhaps illogical events, and most of the time it's just Occam's Razor at work. Lacking any credible accusation, and with a bit of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, I have to go with the integrity of the Clemson program. (The others I confess sometimes make me so blind mad I accused them of everything. For instance, I think Urban Meyer is a disgrace and has proved it in two major programs, and to read he is going to teach a college course on ethics is pretty sick. I mean, at a base level this is a guy who blamed his wife for supposedly not informing him that he had an abusive coach on staff.) My only evidence is that I have a close friend whom I trust implicitly, on the faculty at Clemson, and he in turn is a friend of Swinney. He swears by him and the honesty of his program. As to his intellect critics once love to spoof, he swears if Swinney were to attend faculty meetings, "most times he would be the smartest man in the room." That would go a long way to explaining his success.