Another random question. When did you start rooting for Tech?

GTwreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Same for me and I was actually at that game in 1965. Entered Tech 1968/ graduated 1973. So roughly 56 years.........wow that seems like a long time, I guess.
I was there also; I was a freshman. I think we ran the Statue of Liberty play for a big gain. It was a very exciting game. I sat with my Dad and Bubba Hoats (who would later play for GT). Lenny Snow had a great game.
I don't remember exactly when I started to pull for Tech, my family always did. So, it was the early 50's.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
"I grew irritated with UGA football in the mid 90s..." Understandable as those were the days of losing to the hated Gators and the insufferable Steve Spurrier year after year. Among other zingers, when asked about Florida having more talent than Georgia, he said: " I don't know about that, Georgia gets all this talent every year. I don't know what happens to them."
Bingo! They wasted more talent than any other team I know.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
I grew up in NE Ohio as a die-hard Cleveland Browns for as long as I could remember. I didn’t really care for college football, watched Ohio State on occasion but had no real affinity. I started at Tech in Fall ‘88 never having seen a Tech game in person or on TV and not knowing Tech was in the midst of a major rebuild and hadn’t won an ACC game in a year or two. I went to my first game a few days after stepping foot on campus - put on a tie, invited a date and snuck in a pint of bourbon. It was more about the social scene then but couldn’t help starting to become a jacket fan. Two years later we are busting into Bobby Dodd to tear down the goalposts and burn them on corner of techwood and Bobby Dodd way while our team celebrates a huge win up in Charlottesville. Also got to experience the Lethal weapon 3 final four team team during my time on campus. I have lived in Raleigh for over 25 years and have been lucky to be able to travel less than 30 minutes to see the jackets play one of the local teams at least once a year. Also made an annual trip to Atlanta with best friend from tech for most of the past 25 years so our sons could experience games at Bobby Dodd. When asked about my Tech experience - my reply is - great school, tough as hell, was lucky enough to be on campus when Tech sports were at their peak. Go Jackets!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
My dad got out in '74. I started rooting for Tech the day I was born. I used to love having season tickets for basketball and football, and got to go to the Final Four and the Citrus Bowl in the 1990 season.

Probably 1983 or 1984 was when I first remember going to games. It got progressively better the longer I went to games. :)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I was there also; I was a freshman. I think we ran the Statue of Liberty play for a big gain. It was a very exciting game. I sat with my Dad and Bubba Hoats (who would later play for GT). Lenny Snow had a great game.
I don't remember exactly when I started to pull for Tech, my family always did. So, it was the early 50's.
Wow your post makes me wonder if we might know each other. Bubba went to Gordon Military JC in Barnesville about the same time I was in the HS part. Are you friends with Bubba ?

GTwreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow your post makes me wonder if we might know each other. Bubba went to Gordon Military JC in Barnesville about the same time I was in the HS part. Are you friends with Bubba ?
Yes, Bubba went to West Point High and we played them in football. We both worked at Callaway Gardens in the summers. He and I had every class together in our first quarter at Ga Tech. After 2 quarters he went into the Marine Reserves. After that, he went to Gordon. After Gordon, he returned to Tech and played on the 1969 team that beat UGA. I think Bubba intercepted 2 passes and tipped a third that Jeff Ford caught. I was in classes with Rock Perdoni earlier, he was a force in that game. Steve Norris made a difficult catch and fell on the 1-yard line. I always tell Steve that if he could have scored he would have been the 'drought breaker'. We ran it in on the next play.
So I probably do know you, old-timer.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Around late 1980.
Found out my family would be moving to GA from WI, so I was initially a big fan of both UGA (this was Hershel time) and GT -largely due to the tie against ND in 1980 followed by the win over AL just a couple of months after my family moved.

For the first 6 months I was here in 1981 I was probably a bigger UGA fan than GT fan - but after about 6 months of putting up with UGA fans at school and being invited to a friends birthday party in Feb 1982 at the Thrillerdome against UVA (his mom was the women's tennis coach) I was completely hooked on GT and it has been the same ever since.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I came to Georgia as a (yankee) transplant in 1978, when my family moved to follow my dad’s manufacturing job.

HUGE transition from a small midwestern city to rural Northeast Georgia. It didn’t help when the HBO movie we watched at the motel that first night was ‘Deliverance’, filmed in the county we were moving to. (Picture a thirteen-year-old catholic boy seeing the “squeal like a pig” scene, and thinking, “We’re going THERE???”)

Jumping to the point: I became a Georgia Tech fan after the hundredth time I heard “How ‘bout them dawgs!”—which is to say, I became a GT fan by mid-morning of my first day at Rabun County High School.

The really neat bit in all this is that, a few years later when I enrolled at Tech, my mom explained to me that her dad (who died a decade before I was born) was a working-class guy and a HUGE Georgia Tech fan (this would have been in the 40s and 50s) who would come home at night rip-roaring drunk, singing the “Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech”.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I came to Georgia as a (yankee) transplant in 1978, when my family moved to follow my dad’s manufacturing job.

HUGE transition from a small midwestern city to rural Northeast Georgia. It didn’t help when the HBO movie we watched at the motel that first night was ‘Deliverance’, filmed in the county we were moving to. (Picture a thirteen-year-old catholic boy seeing the “squeal like a pig” scene, and thinking, “We’re going THERE???”)

Jumping to the point: I became a Georgia Tech fan after the hundredth time I heard “How ‘bout them dawgs!”—which is to say, I became a GT fan by mid-morning of my first day at Rabun County High School.

The really neat bit in all this is that, a few years later when I enrolled at Tech, my mom explained to me that her dad (who died a decade before I was born) was a working-class guy and a HUGE Georgia Tech fan (this would have been in the 40s and 50s) who would come home at night rip-roaring drunk, singing the “Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech”.
deliverance GIF

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasn't a fan of college football at all until I got to Tech in 2010. Growing up in metro Atlanta, everyone had a CFB team, with a large majority being u[sic]ga fans. As good as they were while I was in school, I never liked them. I had been to a few games during high school. One was either the ND game or the Samford game in 2006 or 2007. I was working in the concession stands as a fundraiser for my high school marching band. All I really remember was hearing the band play the 3rd down "Chords" cheer as I had a minute to peek into the stadium. I remember it was late in the day and the sun was getting low and the whole stadium had a golden shine to it. Couple with "Chords", I was amazed. I also worked in the concession stand during the 2007? u[sic]ga game, and all I remember was the dwag fans crowding around our stand to watch the Iron Bowl. It was really annoying. I got in to Tech in October of 2009, and loosely remember watching the news coverage of the GT vs VT game that year. I also loosely remember watching the u[sic]ga game that year. When I got to Tech, I had no idea of where GT fit into the landscape of CFB. I had no idea that we had just won the ACCCG or that we were ranked #16 or why we kept running right up the middle 😆. By the 2011 season, I was completely engrossed by the 3O and had become a GT fan for life.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I became a Tech fan during the 5th grade (1988). To that point I had only been a fan of the NFL but started watching cfb on Saturdays. Everyone I went to school with were mutts and they were the reason I was turned off to cfb before that point so I wanted to be a fan of their enemy. 1990 happened and I've loved it since then.