Another good article: Why Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson still runs option, and why it still works

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think Paul was the OC in the 2000 Hula Bowl. I think the game ended in a tie. Probably would have won if he could have used his offense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The option will always work if it's blocked properly. It's tough for two guys to stop three.
Well, almost. Johnson's view is that it is unstoppable if the QB always makes the right read. Then presumably of course the blocks. It's always interesting to me, though not to the particular Bback who gets hammered by three guys on a handoff up the A gap or such when in hindsight it is clear the edge was the play, to watch Thomas's reaction. It seems somewhere between "My bad" and "That had to hurt."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think Paul was the OC in the 2000 Hula Bowl. I think the game ended in a tie. Probably would have won if he could have used his offense.
I dunno. If it is that hard to stop it with a week's preparation, imagine how hard it would be to install it and find a QB for it. Seems they had an option coach running a pro set offense. I did like his crack about "get out of that offense" if they had to pass on 3rd and 2. Running it is something we now take for granted.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The success of last years team won me over. I still would like to see more passing but that ship has sailed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is fair to assume his comment about not committing to it in the base was not restricted to the QBs?
Yes.. He was talking in the larger context of schemes and this offense requiring total commitment to its concepts to work. So if you are committed to having your skill players close to the line you can't suddenly back them off on a given play, or, to put it another way, you are running a system in which it is the third play that is going to work because you set the defense up with the two previous plays. But you have to commit to the same philosophy on all three plays to get the payoff. I could give lots of examples of what I think he meant but that would get even more tedious than this may already have. I just had a real intuitive sense that you can't make the timing, execution and effectiveness of this offense work if you are treating it as a hobby rather than a full time job.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Great article. Hope all this fluff doesn't go to CPJ's head.

Lots of good quotes including this'n to Phil Fulmer ...

:ROFLMAO: "Hey dude" That's so CPJ.
Doubt it, but I do recall something some time back about him being smartest guy in the room, and wanting others to know it. Made me curious.