Another A-back Discussion

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
CPJ indicated that while he was comfortable with the AB situation, some had specific talents that he might utilize in their best roles. I am including Willis as a scholly AB in this discussion.

In 2013 we used 8 ABs in rotation ( Bostic, Zenon, Andrews, Days, Snoddy, Perkins, Hill, and Godhigh, altho Goodhigh got a lot of possessions). Hill was ill and missed a lot of PT but I believe we finished the season with 7 healthy ABs. In 2014 we started the season with 7 ABs (Bostic, Zenon, Andrews, Days, Snoddy, Perkins, and Hill). Days moved to BB in mid season and Snoddy and Zenon had season ending injuries, leaving 4 healthy ABs for the OB. In 2015 we have 7 AB candidates (Snoddy, Willis, Searcy, Lynch, and Freshmen Cottrell, T Marshall, and Jarrett). All three freshmen could play but it would be nice to RS one with Benson, Green, and Gantt coming in 2016. Walk-on McClellan could also get som AB playing time.

Roles: I would speculate that that Snoddy would get the most possessions on all sorts of plays. Searcy and Lynch are more likely for sweeps and pitches and pass receptions. Willis is the better blocker and suitable for short yardage as he is a strong down hill runner. It will be very interesting to see which freshman does what and how well, but we should get a good look at at least two of them in 2015 and they could be significant contributors along with the "role players".

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I have come to believe that A-Back is sort of a "plug and play" position with Johnson. You guys recruit enough a-back "types" (some of which end up at QB, some of which end up at DB, some of which end up at AB), and Johnson is a good enough playcaller/adjuster that you will get production out of the position. The type and amount of production will vary from year to year, but if Johnson isn't worried, neither am I. I'm much more "worried" about B-Back and WR.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I have come to believe that A-Back is sort of a "plug and play" position with Johnson. You guys recruit enough a-back "types" (some of which end up at QB, some of which end up at DB, some of which end up at AB), and Johnson is a good enough playcaller/adjuster that you will get production out of the position. The type and amount of production will vary from year to year, but if Johnson isn't worried, neither am I. I'm much more "worried" about B-Back and WR.

I agree. Even though we are a little short in numbers, and especially experience, CPJ has enough to get producton from these 2015 ABs.

I am more unsettled about 2016 where we have a record number of talented ABs (at least 10 and likely more because we will also be overloaded with quality BBs) and not enough playing time to keep them all. Some will have to move positions and I am not seeing logical moves for most of them. After the 2015 season we will know much more about who the contributors are and this issue will become less unsettled. This is obviously a great problem to have.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The following "what if" scenerio would solidify our BBs and really plus up our AB situation for 2015:

Allen and Skov perform up to starter expectations early
L-Davis is as good as expected and looks good early
Weimerskirch, although coming off injury and likely a RS candidate, has proven from the Spring to be a future BB contender
Mills continues to be a solid recruit for 2016
Swilling and Braswell stay on board in their backup roles

M Marshall makes an early move to AB and now we are looking even better, much better. Low man freshman AB, one or two, redshirts.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If Bback is your concern, then per Johnson, give it up. He said he will get 1,000 yards out of it in any one back or combination of backs. Maybe WRs should be a concern?

BTGT

Georgia Tech Fan
We should worry less. The key is the QB, O-line, and WR. We should have seen from the spring game that a player previously buried on the depth chart came in and carried the ball fine at Bback in Marcus Allen. Has there ever been a discussion about how key his skill set is to GT success. Sure, it helps to have premium talent that can be special, and we may have some, but hard working average joes can get the job done at Ab and Bback. Players like Smelter, JT, and Shaq on the other hand were difference makers at more critical places. Shaq is maybe the most replaceable as he is part of a larger and experienced unit. Searcy will look like a playmaker this year btw.