Annual reminder about today's college football

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Two weeks ago Florida State took Notre Dame to overtime. Last night they lost to Jacksonville State. Both games were played in Tallahassee. Every year we see similar things. If you don't play with intensity and focus, you can lose to anyone.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Two weeks ago Florida State took Notre Dame to overtime. Last night they lost to Jacksonville State. Both games were played in Tallahassee. Every year we see similar things. If you don't play with intensity and focus, you can lose to anyone.
Yeah but Notre Dame almost lost to Toledo so taking them to overtime last week is not really looking as impressive anymore

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Alabama, as currently put together with their coaching staff, is not losing to "anyone", but teams outside of the top 5, maybe. Again, the difference between the have and have nots has never been greater. FSU has had a culture issue for many years now - don't know if Norvell will be the guy to get this changed or not.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Alabama, as currently put together with their coaching staff, is not losing to "anyone", but teams outside of the top 5, maybe. Again, the difference between the have and have nots has never been greater. FSU has had a culture issue for many years now - don't know if Norvell will be the guy to get this changed or not.
They (FSU) are similar imo to GT. They have fundamental systemic issues that need to be fixed and addressed. There was a great article written fairly recently (SI perhaps) about issues arising from "too many fingers in the pie" in Tallahassee. Meaning the boosters operate independently of the Athletics department. I think Auburn is similar in this regard. Churning coaches at places with major structural issues appeases some of the less astute members of the fan base but it is like applying paint to rotten wood. And yes, I think we can lump our dear old alma mater into this category. I agree that Collins and Norvell (maybe -- i don't follow FSU that closely but their defensine alignment on that last play was egregiously incorrect) can do better with the things actually under their control but the other issues are unfixable by a single HC himself. Maybe not even the AD....these are institutional issues (again, imo).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
They (FSU) are similar imo to GT. They have fundamental systemic issues that need to be fixed and addressed. There was a great article written fairly recently (SI perhaps) about issues arising from "too many fingers in the pie" in Tallahassee. Meaning the boosters operate independently of the Athletics department. I think Auburn is similar in this regard. Churning coaches at places with major structural issues appeases some of the less astute members of the fan base but it is like applying paint to rotten wood. And yes, I think we can lump our dear old alma mater into this category. I agree that Collins and Norvell (maybe -- i don't follow FSU that closely but their defensine alignment on that last play was egregiously incorrect) can do better with the things actually under their control but the other issues are unfixable by a single HC himself. Maybe not even the AD....these are institutional issues (again, imo).
I agree that if the "money guys" are overly influencing everything, it will lead to problems for sure. Coaches like Saban run the show, and the big $$ guys know they have to do what he says (or he will bolt). I realize that unproven coaches do not have that luxury - that is where the AD must buffer this kind of confusion so the coach can be the leader of the team and its decisions. Of course, much easier said than done.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Since collegiate sports basically became semi-pro after the SCOTUS ruling, the NCAA should implement a draft for 4 and 5 star players. 😗 😳😎

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me the talent difference between the top 5 or so and everybody else has grown, while the differences between the teams that are below that level have shrunk.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Texas comes to mind.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
So the theory is booster involvement at the big money level is bad and at the smaller level is good? We should get every booster to pay a certain amount every year and promote it as a club of sorts with a nonsensicalbut catchy name. Doesn't have to be a lot to make a big difference in our bottom line, ten or twenty per person. Maybe if somebody did that, they could compete with BAMA.