Annual Offseason Expansion Talk

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Norte Dame....yes, Texas....heck no. I think it will be someone from the Eastern time zone "IF" ND ever joins. Texas always will want to be the big fish in a little pond. This would also destroy all of their main rivalries. They have already lost A&M and I don't think their governing body wants to lose anymore.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
They talk about Texas wanting to bring Oklahoma and Kansas along with them to create an 18 team mega conference. Nothing screams Atlantic coast like Kansas and Oklahoma! This is probably just a bit of posturing at best (at worst, the rantings of a madman) to give Texas more control over their league.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Norte Dame....yes, Texas....heck no. Texas always will want to be the big fish in a little pond.

This. Texas would try to suck all the air out of the league. Go away! We have just enough egos in our conference to make things interesting.

Nothing screams Atlantic coast like Kansas and Oklahoma!

Would additional revenue outweigh travel costs? Probably. But I care not. The ACC has positioned themselves quite nicely while doing it their way. It's a matter of time for ND to go all in due to the CFP. ND would have to go undefeated while obliterating all opponents to get in without a conference CG win IMO. When they do go all in, I'd rather bring in a school that more aligns with the conference profile, which has diminished academically of late.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If we do add ND full time and need another to join with them, I'd much prefer it to be someone who doesn't want to "own" the conference (and trust me, ND will make it a point to give themselves extra special powers as a condition of joining...we don't need two outsized egos joining). I would be more in favor of a smaller program stepping up (ie Central Florida, ECU, UConn) than someone trying to be the top dog.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we do add ND full time and need another to join with them, I'd much prefer it to be someone who doesn't want to "own" the conference (and trust me, ND will make it a point to give themselves extra special powers as a condition of joining...we don't need two outsized egos joining). I would be more in favor of a smaller program stepping up (ie Central Florida, ECU, UConn) than someone trying to be the top dog.

I prefer we add another significant competitor in football to come along with ND. However, bringing in Navy as ND's permanent crossover would've smoothed the transition since it's a team they want to play every year already. With Navy joining AAC, though, who knows? I find the idea of TX joining the ACC as crazy talk though.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame has their huge TV contract with NBC and Texas has their huge TV contract with ESPN. I say, bring them both in and share the bounties with the rest of us when we set up the ACC Network.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Trying to predict what would happen if Texas ever moves is....a humorously impossible endeavor. Would shake everything up again. SEC would likely counter. I would still prefer to rejoin the SEC if we can bring Clemson and FSU along. Rage on at that thought.:cool:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hell with Texas - add baylor and tcu to nd. All three are good schools and besides my son teaches at baylor . Gt, bay lor and tcu h a v e wide open offenses that are great for fans.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
UCF. Huge school, gives the ACC three of the big four in Florida, great road trips to Orlando, would make a great rivalry for us.

jdubjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
UCF. Huge school, gives the ACC three of the big four in Florida, great road trips to Orlando, would make a great rivalry for us.

no_michael_bluth.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You guys think Texas would win in a power struggle with the 'Carolina Mafia? As big and powerful of a program as Texas is, the Carolina programs will always rule the roost in the ACC.

Texas would be a major coup for the ACC, and drastically raise revenues. ACC revenues, with the addition of Texas and ND, would surpass any other conference. ACC will have 2 of the most prestigious football brands, along with FSU. In addition, Texas brings in a GINORMOUS amount of eyeballs which is important because TV contracts are driven by how many TV sets programs will bring in. Texas and Notre Dame are at the top pyramid in that regard.

Academically, UT is a very good school on par with the rest of the ACC.

That being said...probably a far fetched idea, but you never know with conference expansion.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the more power we can shift away from the North Carolina triangle the better for the ACC !!

I'll never forget Swofford openly rooting for Duke over us in tha ACC Basketball Championship a few years back ...