Andy McCollum

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looks like McCollum got named the new head coach of Sewanee! Congrats to him! He always seemed like a genuine guy when he was on our staff. He also recruited the Nashville area really well, so he looks to be in a good place at Sewanee
Has been hoping to get back to the south and out of Buffalo - weather.
Andy was Head coach at MTSU. He also has good recruiting ties in Tennessee.

Class guy.
I sat near his seats at bds. A guy that was sitting w with his wife and we were duscussing he players who andy was coaching up on the bench right in front of us. He said he was their and gave them a shout. They both turned our way and so did Andy. All 3 briefly smiled and then went back to work. Andy had recruited them thorough their pastor.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Glad he is still coaching. He is a class person. He is well known in middle Tennessee high schools from his MTSU days (which is where most of my relatives have gone to college). Great recruiter. Hope he does well there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what offense he'll run. He wasn't an original CPJ flex option guy, but he coached against that offense in practice and helped recruit for it.

Good luck to CAM.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
University of the South was a power house many, many years ago!
The Sewanee Tigers were pioneers in American intercollegiate athletics and possessed the Deep South's preeminent football program in the 1890s. Ellwood Wilson is considered the "founder of Sewanee football." Their 1899 football team had perhaps the best season in college football history, winning all 12 of their games, 11 by shutout, and outscoring their opponents 322-10. Five of those wins, all shutouts, came in a six-day period while on a 2,500-mile (4,000 km) trip by train. Ten of their 12 opponents, including all five of their road trip victims, remain major college football powers to this day. In 2012, the College Football Hall of Fame held a vote of the greatest historic teams of all time, where the 1899 Iron Men beat the 1961 Alabama Crimson Tide as the greatest team of all time.

Sewanee was a charter member of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1894, and also a charter member of the Southeastern Conference upon its formation in 1932.
(Wikipedia)

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Played baseball In the conference and worked with the football team. The campus is definitely nice, just have to get used to being in the middle of nowhere. I can’t say there is many D3 schools that have a golf course on campus
I wish him nothing but luck, because he is going to need a lot for that program. It’s basically the doormat right now

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Played baseball In the conference and worked with the football team. The campus is definitely nice, just have to get used to being in the middle of nowhere. I can’t say there is many D3 schools that have a golf course on campus
I wish him nothing but luck, because he is going to need a lot for that program. It’s basically the doormat right now
And you have to watch the 6th hole (there are only 8). If you overshoot the green by even a bit it goes over a 100 foot cliff.
It's like a Tennessee Hogwarts
It is a Tennessee Hogwarts.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
University of the South was a power house many, many years ago!
The Sewanee Tigers were pioneers in American intercollegiate athletics and possessed the Deep South's preeminent football program in the 1890s. Ellwood Wilson is considered the "founder of Sewanee football." Their 1899 football team had perhaps the best season in college football history, winning all 12 of their games, 11 by shutout, and outscoring their opponents 322-10. Five of those wins, all shutouts, came in a six-day period while on a 2,500-mile (4,000 km) trip by train. Ten of their 12 opponents, including all five of their road trip victims, remain major college football powers to this day. In 2012, the College Football Hall of Fame held a vote of the greatest historic teams of all time, where the 1899 Iron Men beat the 1961 Alabama Crimson Tide as the greatest team of all time.

Sewanee was a charter member of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1894, and also a charter member of the Southeastern Conference upon its formation in 1932.
(Wikipedia)
I need to 'fess up here. I graduated from Sewanee and played football for a year under Shirley Majors (Johnny's dad) until my knee gave out. (None of this arthoscopic business in those days; you were expected to suck it up. I played out the year, then quit on doctor's advice.) The year before I played we were undefeated and nationally ranked. My frosh year we went 8 - 1 and were considered for the Grantland Rice bowl. (Since we would have played Tennessee A&I when they had Eldridge Dickey and Claude(!) Humphrey(!!), we were lucky to be rejected.) We lost 5 games in the next three years, playing either an 8 or 9 game schedule. Sewanee has two members in the National FHoF. I knew one of them, Bishop Frank Juhan who was probably the first LB in the country. He was playing DT and got tired, so he stood up. As he said, "All of a sudden, I noticed that I could; see what the other side was doing and made next 6 tackles. Then I got down again and the coaches yelled at me to stand back up." And has a winning record against Tech, btw; you can check.

So, yeah, Sewanee used to be a real power in small college ball. Recently the program has fallen on bad times. Maybe Coach McCollum can pull them up by the bootstraps; it's happened before. Sooooooo … Good Luck Coach!! Down With the Heathen, Up With the Church!

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
And has a winning record against Tech, btw; you can check.
They also have a winning record against the dwags.... but for a more contextualized history, we shut them out the last 4 times we played and it really wasn't even close. They stopped playing us before we had a chance to take a series lead. Really cool university that time has left behind, but needs to be brought back to light due to it's rich history and groundbreaking status in college football lore.