Analytics and our pitching

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Braves vs Phils last night and listening to the broadcaster (mainly Smoltz, I think) talk about the "what had changed" to take Kyle Wright from "struggling top 5 pick" his first 4 years to leading the majors in wins his 5th year made me contemplate if some of the same things that lead to Wright's hard time might not be affecting the development of some of our pitchers. Smoltz was comparing and contrasting Wright's style of pitching (especially the high % of curveballs he threw this year in games) to his mound opponent, Zach Wheeler (who was pretty good last night too). What I latched onto was the statement Smoltz made that (paraphrased) "Wright was following the analytics, which caused him to stray from the talents/abilities/pitches that had made him so successful in college and caused him to be the high draft pick in the first place". Maybe it is confirmation bias on my part b/c in my mind I have correlated the increased discussion of advanced analysis techniques (especially spin rate) with the "underperformance" (from my perspective, but I think most would agree with the use of this term) of our pitchers the last couple of years.

I wanted to know more about what "analytics" they were talking about, so I looked up some articles on Wright's turn around. Most of them focus on lost confidence and "returning to who he was", but I did find one article (https://theathletic.com/3272361/202...om-frustrated-braves-prospect-to-budding-ace/) where Wright referenced that he was influenced by analytics to move away from what had made him successful.

"Early in pro ball, my first year, I was still mostly curveball. But that was the time when analytics really started to take over with the (emphasis on) fastballs up, hard sliders down. So I had my cutter; it was solid. It was a good pitch. I was having a lot of success with it. But it just wasn’t consistent. But I kind of stuck with using that for really the rest of 2018, ‘19 and even some of ‘20."

So basically, what he is saying is that analytics, developed from data for a large group of pitchers (my emphasis, not his), convinced him that he should do something different for better results. As a result, he got away from what he was really good at and when he returned to that, the level of performance returned. I would submit that the return of confidence may have also been due to the fact that he returned to what he had success with before and was comfortable with, resulting in him trusting in himself more. The analytics are developed based on the masses and averages, but everyone is unique.

Could it be that our pitchers are being asked to make changes to what made them good in the first place? In some cases, maybe that is necessary. Maybe what made them good in the first place can only get them to a certain level and no further and they have to make changes in order to break out to the next level. Or maybe, what they are good at is enough for success at the collegiate level (and perhaps beyond) but we are using the cookie cutter of analytics to try and make them into something they aren't.

I 100% understand it is a huge leap from high school and travel ball (well, maybe not travel ball?) to college and that a lot of guys will need to make changes, add things, learn how to get by on more than raw talent, etc. in order to be successful. But there is a core of elite talent that caused them to recruit them in the first place. Are we asking them to mess with that core elite talent?

There are lots of folks on here who know way more about pitching that I do. But I have wondered, for instance, if an emphasis in increasing spin rate, at the expense of being able to locate a pitch ...... or other tradeoffs might be occurring? It's never that simple, I'm sure.

DBo has a career's worth of data that he is relying on that says what he is doing works, at least at the minor league level. And I am just looking at it from a layman's standpoint. But taking Kyle Wright as an example, if you start with elite talent, maybe we just need to let the elite that got our pitcher's here in the first place be the predominant factor in letting them succeed ...... adding in stuff as necessary to augment it, but not taking them away from what made them successful?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
1665919869473.gif

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's my thought: elite HS talent with natural mechanics won't usually get you into the MLB. College or minors yes. There are anecdotes about pitchers with wild styles making it to the majors, but they are news since they aren't the norm. It's largely learning the craft and making tweaks to get small incremental improvements.

So what DBo has been doing is trying to improve the pitchers for the next level to the short term detriment at GT. And most can't make the jump; that's why so few college pitchers get drafted and even fewer make it to the MLB. Or at least that is what DBo was doing and will change as needed to "succeed" at this level. My guess. And my opinion is that DBo knows this better than me 50 times over and will adjust.

So I agree with most of what you said, especially the confidence part. Pitching is mostly mental it seems. No way I could do it.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, Coach Borrell is now into the beginning of his third year as Georgia Tech’s pitching coach.

This is all I know (from the AJC back on October 25, 2019):

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I think there's a still a pretty big misunderstanding out there of what analytics actually are and it's become an easy scapegoat for people. There is no 'cookie cutter' of analytics. Analytics is just information. The magic is what you do (or don't do) with that information.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Our local High school just added Rapsodo this past year. (of course, after Christian left) ;)

You also see a lot of schools (and pitcher parents) with the Stalker Pro 2s or higher for more accurate radar readings in the stands.
Pricey as all get out, but Pitch speed on a Stalker is the most legit thing you can have for recruiting videos and tweets. Sold mine after HS and at least got some money back.
They've gone up in price ($1605 for basic to $2800 for Pro IIs with spin, etc). You'll see those in the stands with the scouts and elite recruiters.
the Ball Coach Pocket Radar ($300) is a waste of money, inconsistent, and inaccurate.

As mentioned in the article, having analytics is one thing, but knowing how to digest and utilize it is a completely different animal.

If you'd like to totally GEEK OUT. Get this book.
I got it and tried to make it through. Even with 3 Masters Degrees - I was totally lost within the first 2 chapters and thought my head was going to explode.
It is crazy next level and well beyond me and my comprehension. So yeah, waaaaay harder than most give credit.
Leave this stuff to the professionals!!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Wayyyy over my head. It’s so interesting, though.

Like I typed in my reply to the OP’s post up on top of this thread, I really don’t know anything about this pitching analytics stuff.

I did conduct a few Google searches on the subject, and managed to get at least some concepts … well, perhaps only a couple of them. LOL

By the way, I remember way back when I was a young high school baseball player in 1964, my Dad told me about this MLB pitcher named Bob Feller. He said that Bob Feller won his first Major League pitching start before he graduated from high school. I was amazed! I really didn’t believe it when he told me that story at the time.

Turns out what my Dad told me was true! Here are a couple links:

You know, back in those days, they didn’t have any of those modern, advanced, high-tech, computerized graphics, analytical stuff ‘n other such things. You were either good, or not good enough.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not about analytics per se but pretty informative coaching roundtable on managing pitching. 2 main concepts covered are:
Pitch Calling &
Bullpen Management (they make it sound more complicated than @GTNavyNuke does ;) )

Meat starts at 15min mark after panel intros.

Interesting listen. Like the idea that pitchers shake off the pitches to what they want to throw. I don't think I see that too much these days.

The D1 Sunday night convos are a good listen waiting for next season.

Also, I liked the anecdote about a pitcher being great in bull pen and not in the game. Of course I like that since it supports my pulling pitchers real quick if they lose it. Don't wait around till they get back in the groove or finish putting the game out of reach. Next man up and let the pulled guy's ego get toughened up.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting listen. Like the idea that pitchers shake off the pitches to what they want to throw. I don't think I see that too much these days.

The D1 Sunday night convos are a good listen waiting for next season.

Also, I liked the anecdote about a pitcher being great in bull pen and not in the game. Of course I like that since it supports my pulling pitchers real quick if they lose it. Don't wait around till they get back in the groove or finish putting the game out of reach. Next man up and let the pulled guy's ego get toughened up.
Agreed. Especially since there are about 21 pitchers on the current roster and normally only 36 innings per week.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Especially since there are about 21 pitchers on the current roster and normally only 36 innings per week.
Hmmmm … so, for each of the 21 pitchers on our team, throw each pitcher only 1.7 innings per week.

Sounds like a plan.

And you know what? It might work.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching the Braves vs Phils last night and listening to the broadcaster (mainly Smoltz, I think) talk about the "what had changed" to take Kyle Wright from "struggling top 5 pick" his first 4 years to leading the majors in wins his 5th year made me contemplate if some of the same things that lead to Wright's hard time might not be affecting the development of some of our pitchers. Smoltz was comparing and contrasting Wright's style of pitching (especially the high % of curveballs he threw this year in games) to his mound opponent, Zach Wheeler (who was pretty good last night too). What I latched onto was the statement Smoltz made that (paraphrased) "Wright was following the analytics, which caused him to stray from the talents/abilities/pitches that had made him so successful in college and caused him to be the high draft pick in the first place". Maybe it is confirmation bias on my part b/c in my mind I have correlated the increased discussion of advanced analysis techniques (especially spin rate) with the "underperformance" (from my perspective, but I think most would agree with the use of this term) of our pitchers the last couple of years.

I wanted to know more about what "analytics" they were talking about, so I looked up some articles on Wright's turn around. Most of them focus on lost confidence and "returning to who he was", but I did find one article (https://theathletic.com/3272361/202...om-frustrated-braves-prospect-to-budding-ace/) where Wright referenced that he was influenced by analytics to move away from what had made him successful.

"Early in pro ball, my first year, I was still mostly curveball. But that was the time when analytics really started to take over with the (emphasis on) fastballs up, hard sliders down. So I had my cutter; it was solid. It was a good pitch. I was having a lot of success with it. But it just wasn’t consistent. But I kind of stuck with using that for really the rest of 2018, ‘19 and even some of ‘20."

So basically, what he is saying is that analytics, developed from data for a large group of pitchers (my emphasis, not his), convinced him that he should do something different for better results. As a result, he got away from what he was really good at and when he returned to that, the level of performance returned. I would submit that the return of confidence may have also been due to the fact that he returned to what he had success with before and was comfortable with, resulting in him trusting in himself more. The analytics are developed based on the masses and averages, but everyone is unique.

Could it be that our pitchers are being asked to make changes to what made them good in the first place? In some cases, maybe that is necessary. Maybe what made them good in the first place can only get them to a certain level and no further and they have to make changes in order to break out to the next level. Or maybe, what they are good at is enough for success at the collegiate level (and perhaps beyond) but we are using the cookie cutter of analytics to try and make them into something they aren't.

I 100% understand it is a huge leap from high school and travel ball (well, maybe not travel ball?) to college and that a lot of guys will need to make changes, add things, learn how to get by on more than raw talent, etc. in order to be successful. But there is a core of elite talent that caused them to recruit them in the first place. Are we asking them to mess with that core elite talent?

There are lots of folks on here who know way more about pitching that I do. But I have wondered, for instance, if an emphasis in increasing spin rate, at the expense of being able to locate a pitch ...... or other tradeoffs might be occurring? It's never that simple, I'm sure.

DBo has a career's worth of data that he is relying on that says what he is doing works, at least at the minor league level. And I am just looking at it from a layman's standpoint. But taking Kyle Wright as an example, if you start with elite talent, maybe we just need to let the elite that got our pitcher's here in the first place be the predominant factor in letting them succeed ...... adding in stuff as necessary to augment it, but not taking them away from what made them successful?
A complex topic at one level for sure but results always speak for themselves and are much less complex to understand. GT pitching has clearly seen a results-oriented downturn the past two years under DBo - team ERA being an obvious metric example.

Observation by many much smarter than me on this topic would indicate DBo's in-game situational awareness and related pitch calling is part of the issue impacting results. This would be consistent with DBo's lack of experience coaching this part of the game as the majority of his experience base has been focused on player development. The AJC interview with CDH at the end of the year last season pretty much pointed this out. Therefore DBo himself may be focusing too much on analytics vs eye-test situational awareness such as pitching to the weakness of a specific hitter in a specific situation. Most of the kids he's worked with really like him and feel he's teaching them well so it doesn’t appear to be a loss of player confidence in DBo.

Aside from potential DBo situational awareness issues, results show there has been a correlation to our new "pitching lab"/analytics and worse team ERA. This suggests player behavior changes created by something related to all the newer analytics that has clearly resulted in worse in-game player performance. I'm not smart enough to know exactly what that might be, but you're Kyle Wright example seems like a candidate for extrapolation with some of our pitchers...